Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Sanda League

Hybrid View

World SanDa League

Any of you guys seen this? I'm thinking about their May event. Looks like a step in the right direction for our sport.

http://www.worldsandaleague.com/
    A unique snowflake

Quick question: if you've done two san shou tournaments, and had 5 one round fights with a 3 min round...does that mean you do the A Class?
    A unique snowflake

I have such mixed feelings about this, but considering san da is so stagnant, maybe we should go?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    Looks like a step in the right direction for our sport.
    glad to see people see it's simply a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    glad to see people see it's simply a sport.
    It's never been touted as anything more than that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'm going to check it out. I can't find any competition in this style in Winnipeg.
    And yeah, it is a sport...kung fu has a lot too it and part of it is the sport: Sanda is the sport.
    A unique snowflake

suntzu was asking me about this
    from the website, some of the gyms involved are a little questionable given what i've seen of their programs, even moreso given that they don't have any fighters listed on the site.

on the other hand, if it gets more events going, great.
    my biggest issue is that this stuff is waaaay too regional.
    if you don't live in cali, florida, or the northeast coast (ny, dc), you're probably out of luck.
    i guess texas was making an attempt, but it didn't really seem to be run all that well.

it'd be nice if this was enough of a grass roots movement to help at least one rep from each state/region to work with other gyms & legislative bodies (athletic commissions, etc) in the area to put on regular events.

asking people to spend hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of dollars out of their own pocket to travel long distances to compete isn't really good for the longevity of the sport.
    I doubt anybody will be able to keep that up for any length of time, especially in the current economy.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    suntzu was asking me about this
    from the website, some of the gyms involved are a little questionable given what i've seen of their programs, even moreso given that they don't have any fighters listed on the site.

on the other hand, if it gets more events going, great.
    my biggest issue is that this stuff is waaaay too regional.
    if you don't live in cali, florida, or the northeast coast (ny, dc), you're probably out of luck.
    i guess texas was making an attempt, but it didn't really seem to be run all that well.

it'd be nice if this was enough of a grass roots movement to help at least one rep from each state/region to work with other gyms & legislative bodies (athletic commissions, etc) in the area to put on regular events.

asking people to spend hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of dollars out of their own pocket to travel long distances to compete isn't really good for the longevity of the sport.
    I doubt anybody will be able to keep that up for any length of time, especially in the current economy.
    Yeah man. It's expensive but the road trip is fun...plus no mortgage and no kids.

Good excuse to go the Bahamas...
    A unique snowflake

World Sanda League

This question goes out to Coach Ross or any other Sanda player or coach. Recently there have been some discussions about how San Shou/Sanda is dead in the US and how there are little to no competitors or events worth attending. I found this site recently, http://www.worldsandaleague.com/fighters_all.php, and although there is a large presence outside the US, there seems to be schools involved from the US as well.

What are some thoughts on this organization, it's events, the schools involved in it, ect. Do they actually put on sucessful events? Thanks.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

You will probably never see anyone who was part of the "Big 6" getting involved in that event because the people organizing it are the same people who killed US sanshou

It's like telling me "fuck you" and then saying "oh, but by the way, can you loan me $30?"

Others may disagree with me (Sanshou Guru are you out there?) but I PERSONALLY think those individuals have no clue what they are doing, and in fact are dangerous

I also think asking sanshou competitors to pay more, a LOT more, for a crappy event where they are always treated like no one cares about them SUCKS DONKEY BALLS

It is exactly the same reason there is no more sanshou at the Arnolds; pay more than the forms people, get no where to warm up, the coaches being asked to pay EXTRA to get into the building, and then being told you have to stop your tournament so a Taekwondo guy can play the harmonica (I SWEAR that actually happened, I SWEAR)

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

David, thanks for the response. It just seems sad to me when an organization such as this could actually be a huge promotion to CMA being involved and having it's own combat sport regiment. Boxing does it, Muay Thai does it, but not Kung Fu??

Just like everything else, politics f**uck everything up!!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    David, thanks for the response. It just seems sad to me when an organization such as this could actually be a huge promotion to CMA being involved and having it's own combat sport regiment. Boxing does it, Muay Thai does it, but not Kung Fu??

Just like everything else, politics f**uck everything up!!
    When you have people who have no idea what fighting is about trying to run fighting events you are putting a car with no gas in reverse when it is parked with its rear end to a brick wall

tru2form anyone? STEP!

What are they asking you for Ross?

I went to the Arnold's last year and it was there. It is still there.
    http://www.arnoldsportsfestival.com/...-festival.html

I would temper Ross's assessment with the fact that he isn't going to like it unless he can be in charge of it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    What are they asking you for Ross?

I went to the Arnold's last year and it was there. It is still there.
    http://www.arnoldsportsfestival.com/...-festival.html
    How many competitors would you say the San Shou division had? Were there several schools involved? I'm curious because even aside from what Ross has said I have heard from other sources that this event has gone downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    How many competitors would you say the San Shou division had? Were there several schools involved? I'm curious because even aside from what Ross has said I have heard from other sources that this event has gone downhill.
    I grant you, the Arnold is not the ideal event for any athlete. It is poorly run, but the fact is, if you can win, it's a nice notch under your belt. I could not say for sure how many. I only watched maybe four fights. There were probably more, but my family was competing in Bjj and I was taking in the rest of the show too.