Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Sanda League

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    dun worry he wasn't calling u c level
    he was talking about that other tournament
    Oh I wasn't taking offense or assuming that. Just trying to have a little fun...but my competition level has been silver and gold at the Tiger Balms in Vancouver with one TKO. They were tough fights and I felt the 2nd go around was some well rounded fighters but how does one know where they belong? I don' train with any pro fighters...either way, if money permits, I'll do this and see what happens...
    A unique snowflake

There are some fighters that you can tell don't come from full time fight training programs; it's extremely obvious. You've probably seen some of them yourself, like the occasional guy who shows up to fight sanshou in a frog-button, cotton kung fu outfit; or the guy that's sporting dipped foam & worn out old Century gloves instead of decent equipment. Not to put them down, because they got the ballz to get up there and try, but they tend to be a different caliber of fighter than the guys that do it day in, day out. I think that's all MK's pointing out.

In the states the top of the food chain in san shou came from certain gyms. There were other guys who could hang & bang with them, sometimes they were from gyms related to the big ones, sometimes they were individuals from smaller un-established gyms, but it was pretty obvious that all those guys were training full time for the sport. It's a little bit telling when certain tournaments have absolutely NOBODY involved from any of these recognized gyms (except maybe the ref) and the videos that surface of the fights aren't to a caliber that one would normally expect from an experienced competitor coming from a full-time training program.

in other words: the competition you're facing at the tiger balms is legit.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    There are some fighters that you can tell don't come from full time fight training programs; it's extremely obvious. You've probably seen some of them yourself, like the occasional guy who shows up to fight sanshou in a frog-button, cotton kung fu outfit; or the guy that's sporting dipped foam & worn out old Century gloves instead of decent equipment. Not to put them down, because they got the ballz to get up there and try, but they tend to be a different caliber of fighter than the guys that do it day in, day out. I think that's all MK's pointing out.

In the states the top of the food chain in san shou came from certain gyms. There were other guys who could hang & bang with them, sometimes they were from gyms related to the big ones, sometimes they were individuals from smaller un-established gyms, but it was pretty obvious that all those guys were training full time for the sport. It's a little bit telling when certain tournaments have absolutely NOBODY involved from any of these recognized gyms (except maybe the ref) and the videos that surface of the fights aren't to a caliber that one would normally expect from an experienced competitor coming from a full-time training program.

in other words: the competition you're facing at the tiger balms is legit.
    I know exactly what you're saying about guys training hard vs hobbists. This thing seems more hardcore than a forms tournament with 3 people doing San Shou...I guess we'll see...and yeah, having crappy fights, even though you win, is kind of a bummer if you pay to travel to the wang of America.
    A unique snowflake

World Sanda League

This question goes out to Coach Ross or any other Sanda player or coach. Recently there have been some discussions about how San Shou/Sanda is dead in the US and how there are little to no competitors or events worth attending. I found this site recently, http://www.worldsandaleague.com/fighters_all.php, and although there is a large presence outside the US, there seems to be schools involved from the US as well.

What are some thoughts on this organization, it's events, the schools involved in it, ect. Do they actually put on sucessful events? Thanks.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

You will probably never see anyone who was part of the "Big 6" getting involved in that event because the people organizing it are the same people who killed US sanshou

It's like telling me "fuck you" and then saying "oh, but by the way, can you loan me $30?"

Others may disagree with me (Sanshou Guru are you out there?) but I PERSONALLY think those individuals have no clue what they are doing, and in fact are dangerous

I also think asking sanshou competitors to pay more, a LOT more, for a crappy event where they are always treated like no one cares about them SUCKS DONKEY BALLS

It is exactly the same reason there is no more sanshou at the Arnolds; pay more than the forms people, get no where to warm up, the coaches being asked to pay EXTRA to get into the building, and then being told you have to stop your tournament so a Taekwondo guy can play the harmonica (I SWEAR that actually happened, I SWEAR)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

David, thanks for the response. It just seems sad to me when an organization such as this could actually be a huge promotion to CMA being involved and having it's own combat sport regiment. Boxing does it, Muay Thai does it, but not Kung Fu??

Just like everything else, politics f**uck everything up!!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

What are they asking you for Ross?

I went to the Arnold's last year and it was there. It is still there.
    http://www.arnoldsportsfestival.com/...-festival.html

I would temper Ross's assessment with the fact that he isn't going to like it unless he can be in charge of it somehow.

Site seems to be hooked up with icmac for where and when they can do sanda they said no Sanda at their Chicago tournament because of red tape with the IL sports commission

"being told you have to stop your tournament so a Taekwondo guy can play the harmonica"
    OMFG thats crazy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    What are they asking you for Ross?

I went to the Arnold's last year and it was there. It is still there.
    http://www.arnoldsportsfestival.com/...-festival.html
    How many competitors would you say the San Shou division had? Were there several schools involved? I'm curious because even aside from what Ross has said I have heard from other sources that this event has gone downhill.

It wouldn't be dead if it was simply promoted with gusto and wasn't looked at as a way to make bank and instead it is looked at as a way to forward the sport.

What does it take to get sanctioned?
    What are the legal questions?
    The rest is promotion and promotion is about saturation.
    You have to be willing to go balls out to get the people to show up and pay to watch.

Having people pay to have a fight is...well stupid. I can see a registration fee to cover the paper work and payment to cover the doctor and any tests, but people entering a fight competition should be looking forward to making some money and not laying it out.

so ass backwards it's silly.

They need to be more professional, strong standards and get rid of the weasels and the roaches entirely from the game by making it totally legit. Nothing gets rid of the low life greaseballs more than actual legitimacy.

Back into the woodwork with them.

Dave, you don't do this?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    David, thanks for the response. It just seems sad to me when an organization such as this could actually be a huge promotion to CMA being involved and having it's own combat sport regiment. Boxing does it, Muay Thai does it, but not Kung Fu??

Just like everything else, politics f**uck everything up!!
    When you have people who have no idea what fighting is about trying to run fighting events you are putting a car with no gas in reverse when it is parked with its rear end to a brick wall

tru2form anyone? STEP!

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    How many competitors would you say the San Shou division had? Were there several schools involved? I'm curious because even aside from what Ross has said I have heard from other sources that this event has gone downhill.
    I grant you, the Arnold is not the ideal event for any athlete. It is poorly run, but the fact is, if you can win, it's a nice notch under your belt. I could not say for sure how many. I only watched maybe four fights. There were probably more, but my family was competing in Bjj and I was taking in the rest of the show too.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

Dave, you don't do this?
    Two events happened at about the same time that killed US San Shou

First, the USA WKF, the so called national body for Chinese martial arts, DROPPED sanshou from their national tournament. It is a long and CORRUPT story about back room deals and BS, but the short of it was, no events you could go to at kung fu tournaments

We would have be fine however if Cung and I could have continued to run our events. Cung pretty much had everyone on the west coast active. I was running local events and doing an international event every two years

Then both NY and CA both decided that sanshou was illegal in their MMA ranglings

Tournaments build fighters. There is nothing like a tournament. But people should expect to pay something for a tournament

The logistics and cost to run an event like this, which if done CORRECTLY is providing you with a great opportunity to grow and expand your skills, is massive

I have been out of the tournament scene a while, but back when I was, a forms guy paid like $50? So we had sanshou people pay the same. But remember, we provided QUALITY officials, medical staff, the equipment they fought in, and we made sure the event got plenty of press.

We have a wait and see approach to these events. Skrima who I believe is running these had some ok events in the past. I they can hold it together and it seems to get a toe hold then we would consider it.

The only Sanda we get now is when Ross brings his team up to Boston or we go to NY. Me mostly just tool on Muay Thai guys to have something to do.
    "Information is power"

www.Boston-Kickboxing.com