Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World Sanda League

World SanDa League

Any of you guys seen this? I'm thinking about their May event. Looks like a step in the right direction for our sport.

http://www.worldsandaleague.com/
    A unique snowflake

Quick question: if you've done two san shou tournaments, and had 5 one round fights with a 3 min round...does that mean you do the A Class?
    A unique snowflake

I have such mixed feelings about this, but considering san da is so stagnant, maybe we should go?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    Looks like a step in the right direction for our sport.
    glad to see people see it's simply a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    glad to see people see it's simply a sport.
    It's never been touted as anything more than that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'm going to check it out. I can't find any competition in this style in Winnipeg.
    And yeah, it is a sport...kung fu has a lot too it and part of it is the sport: Sanda is the sport.
    A unique snowflake

suntzu was asking me about this
    from the website, some of the gyms involved are a little questionable given what i've seen of their programs, even moreso given that they don't have any fighters listed on the site.

on the other hand, if it gets more events going, great.
    my biggest issue is that this stuff is waaaay too regional.
    if you don't live in cali, florida, or the northeast coast (ny, dc), you're probably out of luck.
    i guess texas was making an attempt, but it didn't really seem to be run all that well.

it'd be nice if this was enough of a grass roots movement to help at least one rep from each state/region to work with other gyms & legislative bodies (athletic commissions, etc) in the area to put on regular events.

asking people to spend hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of dollars out of their own pocket to travel long distances to compete isn't really good for the longevity of the sport.
    I doubt anybody will be able to keep that up for any length of time, especially in the current economy.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    suntzu was asking me about this
    from the website, some of the gyms involved are a little questionable given what i've seen of their programs, even moreso given that they don't have any fighters listed on the site.

on the other hand, if it gets more events going, great.
    my biggest issue is that this stuff is waaaay too regional.
    if you don't live in cali, florida, or the northeast coast (ny, dc), you're probably out of luck.
    i guess texas was making an attempt, but it didn't really seem to be run all that well.

it'd be nice if this was enough of a grass roots movement to help at least one rep from each state/region to work with other gyms & legislative bodies (athletic commissions, etc) in the area to put on regular events.

asking people to spend hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of dollars out of their own pocket to travel long distances to compete isn't really good for the longevity of the sport.
    I doubt anybody will be able to keep that up for any length of time, especially in the current economy.
    Yeah man. It's expensive but the road trip is fun...plus no mortgage and no kids.

Good excuse to go the Bahamas...
    A unique snowflake

Ron Davenport posts here (Citong Shifu). Maybe he'll chime in...

Personally, I'm not going to ask my students to shell out for a trip just to fight some C level traditional guys, but at least they aren't asking the fighters to pay entry fees (pointing the finger at you, Taiji Legacy!).
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

So the competition level won't be very good? Aren't there quite a few good San Da/San Shou programs in the US that would go to this? Seems like a good idea for an event.
    A unique snowflake

if good fighters dont show up, then ya the competition wont be grade a. get enough good fighters showing up and you got your higher level competition right there.

the chicken or the egg?

its got to be attractive enough to attract the good fighters imo.

the best way to get something like this going well is to get a rich person to put it all up and have nice purses and attract ALL the fighters like flies to shizzat.

if i was rich i would totally do it.

Genes rich right?

haha
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

that won't work, because getting fighters to go pro in san shou is kinda like pulling teeth.
    Look at Max Chen (sorry to sell you out buddy), dude's got like 1000 amateur fights.
    their reason for not going is simple though, there are even fewer opportunities for pro sanshou fighters to get fights than there are for amateur fighters.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

what if i was really really rich and made the top purse really really big?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Being a C Level Traditional guy I'll have fun and maybe learn something. Hopefully some B Level guys show up to show me a thing or two!
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    Being a C Level Traditional guy I'll have fun and maybe learn something. Hopefully some B Level guys show up to show me a thing or two!
    dun worry he wasn't calling u c level
    he was talking about that other tournament