Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The says it all thread

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    That is totally true.

Way past 38 here. Doing heavy bag to work on bone density and cardio.

Takes a year to recover from injuries now though.
    I hear that about recovery...

Gloves not as often as mouthguard, couple of times a month, mainly to make sure the young guys don't hurt me by accident.

Its true, as you get older, you get a confidence and relaxation that saves energy, and you get smart on how you use it. We are anaerobic mostly, so its a little different. The idea is to fight for 30 seconds, not 3 minutes.

I do a series of low impact flexibility and strength exercises daily now, which keep me fit, but now its a case of maintaining, not improving....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

At 50 years old my body has paid the price from the crazy 2 hour workouts 5 days a week and the 3 times a week sparring and applying techs when i was younger but after 2 knee, 1 hip and 1 elbow surgery I have pulled way back on putting on the gloves.
    Although once a month its cool to mix it up a little but i can't do the take downs like I used too because I worry about the hip... but owell.

I have ramped up my training big time by supplementing my kung fu with the whole crossfit workout and I find that the anaerobic style w/o has gotten me back to where I once was many many moons ago.

Guess in the end I'll fight when and if I need too, but in the mean time I'll keep the Boss 351 stang in the garage shined up and ready to run when needed. lol
    It's not what you know, but who's first with the best.

Got it all use cup three times a week (got to protect the jewels lol) , boxing and MMA gloves two or three times a week, mouth guard weekly when sparring or rolling hard at my main gym, although not in the last month, main gym has been closed the past 3 weeks so no real sparring the other place its mainly pad work, isolated sparring and light sparring when/if it happens 9its a sore point) (am 35…. no wait 36 now, still enjoy grappling and MMA sparring but my comp days are way behind me so lack of real hard sparring don’t annoy me that much….just a little)

As for conditioning and strength work as you get older it’s a must, as is warming up lol

Quote Originally Posted by md1 View Post
    Guess in the end I'll fight when and if I need too, but in the mean time I'll keep the Boss 351 stang in the garage shined up and ready to run when needed. lol
    Mustangs ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I think perhaps I could have put my point better. What I meant was that on top of the physical conditioning, Ray should concentrate more (than before) on Qigong and such exercises.

I have started to do some internal again. And I never got around to hanging that bag but that's what I'm gonna do at lunch.

Not necessarily slow down. I'm keeping BJJ because I love it. And that's a hell of a work out at a hell of a pace three nights a week. But I'm frustrated with boxing because I feel like I still could win fights if only I could train the way I want.... which is tuff. The place I learned it no one wanted to fight. The guys that want to fight don't want to hear about it, they want to kick box..... only that 3 year window when I had students, that was perfect.

Until a student comes a long I'm sticking with BJJ, work the bag on off nights, run and do some standing almost more for quiet meditation time and I'll take running the channels as a side benefit.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, though. It was vert encouraging.