Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shoulder / long bridge power

shoulder / long bridge power

Been watching a few videos of different wing chun groups doing bui tze and some thrust the shoulder and others don't.

Any one got expereince of this and why some Ip Man students do and others don't?

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

...........shoulder thrusts??????.................and what is long bridge power??????????

GH

sorry for not giving more details.

Check out Duncan Leung's line and thier Bui Tse form, also Jason Lau from Chui Wan Lineage and I have seen several others do similar stuff.

As far as I am aware Ip Chun, Ip Ching, WSL and foshan students don't do it but you do have the leung ting guys with his extending arm circus trick LOL

Paul

When you talk about long bridge and short bridge, you are merely talking about the distance of the hand from the body. If the hand is extended out (arm’s length) it is a long bridge. During a fight, when your hands are close together, that is a short bridge.

Both long and short bridges have their purpose. I am under the Ip Ching liniage and we first see long bridge energy in Sil Lim Tao with the extended arms being raised and lowered. In application an example is when our arms maybe outside our body extended and we have to punch back to the centre line from a position of long briidge. Essentially you are looking at the generation of power through your stance with an extended arm.

We see the use of the shoulder in the straight punch. We shouldn't hold the shoulder back when punch. The use of the shoulder is emphasised in Biu Tze during the wrist movements. Ip Ching teaches relaxation of the shoulder joint by extending it.

This assists with power generation and ultimatly when you Chong (Thrust) with the Pole your shoulder is extended.
    Last edited by hpclub; 08-15-2011 at 03:03 AM.

I titled it "long bridge" as that is the termed used by some people but I agree with your description as the common clasification.

I am more interested in the extending the shoulder as with some lineages its really obvious.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Well this is just inch power. Not inch from just the arm but inch from the whole body the generate the power.

Which actions are you reffering to????

GH

I suppose it depends on what one thinks these actions at the start of Bil Jee are for. That guy obviously has a completely different idea than I do so I can't comment. Too much arm chasing for my liking as well.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T England View Post
    I am more interested in the extending the shoulder as with some lineages its really obvious.
    In the clip it seemed that the guy was definitely using very rigid muscular movement, which at a basic level is okay, but this is Biu Jee and it is far from a basic form imho. Being from Jiu Wans lineage I think there will be many other things that differ from others, but that (with all due respect!) may not be such a bad thing
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

nicely put together video
    Hand Crafted Wooden Dummies at Affordable Prices!

Shaolinhouse.com

I'd love to hear from anyone who has trained this lineage to understand what is going on. Totally different to the way we train so I'd love to hear more
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

I think it's ultimately just different ways of making the student understand power generation. The ultimate goal of power generation is whipping energy through the body and releasing destructive force. The one inch punch does this as simply as possible.

When you develop this technique it's done with the whole body, you aren't punching or tan sau'ing with just your arm. You put your body into. With the extension of the shoulder you're supposed to eventually feel the transfer of force and apply that to your whole body.

Personally, I found the "power" accidentally during heavy bag training with siu nim tau.

Quote Originally Posted by LivingArt View Post
    Personally, I found the "power" accidentally during heavy bag training with siu nim tau.
    Can you elaborate please?

Quote Originally Posted by LivingArt View Post

Eh? What did you do?...fall over and hit the light switch on the way down?

GH