Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 90 years old

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    who will need to fight at 90? i just want to be able to wipe my own a.ss and maybe pinch those of a few nurses...
    That's a very good point. At what age do you think that we should only train for "health" and forget about "combat"?

At 60? 70? 80? 90?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-13-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    That's a very good point. At what age do you think that we should only train for "health" and forget about "combat"?

At 60? 70? 80? 90?
    I can only really speak for myself but I hope not to be throwing any punches in anger too long out of my 60's. Of course I would like to defend myself as long as possible but i'm hoping I wouldn't cop too many beatings in my 70's. So maybe transitioning a little further into the health/longevity sife by then. Of course it will be easier to rule the nursing home if I can still dominate the other geriatrics with physical violence beyond that point.

I think the violent intent should always remain the focus of training but the reality is, most people past their 60's are going to get hurt badly in any serious conflict so probably better to carry a knife or a gun.

or maybe better to stop being an a.sshole by that age instead...

Just watched the first vid.

That guy is in great shape for a 90 year old

Regardless of whether or not that form has a meaning and if he can fight blah blah blah, that guy is in better shape than probably 99% of people in their 90s across the world.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    I can only really speak for myself but I hope not to be throwing any punches in anger too long out of my 60's. Of course I would like to defend myself as long as possible but i'm hoping I wouldn't cop too many beatings in my 70's. So maybe transitioning a little further into the health/longevity sife by then. Of course it will be easier to rule the nursing home if I can still dominate the other geriatrics with physical violence beyond that point.

I think the violent intent should always remain the focus of training but the reality is, most people past their 60's are going to get hurt badly in any serious conflict so probably better to carry a knife or a gun.
    That's a good point again. When you are 70 and teach a workshop. A 20 years old walked in and wants to test your skill. What will you do then? Do you think that, "I'm too old to fight you." will be a good enough reason to get rid of that young challenger? Is it proper to pull out your Walther PPK to scare away that 20 years old and give that a person a chance to spread words around such as, "The old man was afraid of fighting me."

Is that our worse nightmare that a 20 years old can beat us up when we are 70?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-13-2011 at 11:43 PM.

It's a risk anyone takes teaching martial arts. You would hope your reputation would protect you, that they might have some respect for senior citizens and failing that, it's probably a good idea to have students willing to bash anyone who challenges you.

in my country if a 20 year old started a fight at a seminar with a 70 year old he would most likely leave in an ambulance, having been beaten by most people in the room....

At 60? 70? 80? 90?
    we may train both at any age.

But diet, exercise and health are more and more important post 40 year old.

cultivating life or yang sheng.

This is a good example that if you have developed certain ability, to maintain it through your old age will not be that difficult. On the other hand, to develop a new ability in your old age may be difficult. The question is what kind of ability that's worthwhile to maintain? To be able to do "chao tian deng" in old age is good. But is it absolute necessary?

If you used to be able to do "30 tornado kicks non-stop", to maintain such ability is not easy. Is it worthwhile your training time to maintain such ability? Both "chao tian deng" and "continuous tornado kicks" have little value in combat. Do you maintain your ability for "health only" reason or for "combat" reason?
    IMO, MA is for combat first and foremost. However, there does come a time when health begins to take precedence, at least for me. That's not the reason I took up MA, and IMO, not what they were originally developed for. But take the example of the "opera" guy I mentioned above. He was healthy. I don't consider him a MAist, but he seemed happier and a lot healthier to me than most of the old kung fu masters that I've seen.

Now, maybe he was lucky in life. In my younger days, I had taught myself to do the full "chao tian deng" very easily, just for fun. Now, dealing with some chronic injuries, there are things I've not been able to do anymore, that being only one of those things. So I'm not so sure that maintaining such a skill (chao tian deng being just one example) into old age is necessarily easy without other things factoring into it. Of course, such an exercise doesn't necessarily have any combat value, though it wouldn't negate it either.

I have really come to appreciate the importance of quality of life. Isn't combative ability to preserve life, so as to survive to live as good a quality of life as one can? If one is a MA instructor, the possibility of losing to the odd challenger that walks in would always be a risk, even if the instructor is a 30-year-old. ANYONE can be beaten by SOMEONE out there. I personally needn't worry about that, since I stopped teaching years ago and have no intention of teaching anymore students. It's become a pastime for me now. My real goal now is to heal and fully regain the ability to train at the level that I once did, pre-injuries, or at least to my satisfaction.

I read an account mentioning that Jack Dempsey was attacked by two muggers in NYC when he was in his 70s. Reportedly, he knocked both of them out. Not saying everyone would have such a result, just that there are examples of young guys finding out they've bitten off more than they can chew.

At what age might one change his/her emphasis, if ever? It all depends on the person. For some it could be earlier than later. Maybe never. Also, who says everything has to be linear? Meaning that sometimes you may want to emphasize one more than the other, depending on your own circumstances or however you feel.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-14-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    there does come a time when health begins to take precedence,
    When you get old, your finger joints may have some arthritis. This may make your punhcing on heavy bag very painful. You can

- take the pain and continue your heavy bag training (try to maintain old ability).
    - change you fist into palm strike (try to develop new ability).
    - stop doing heavy bag and concentrate on "health" only (complete give up on "combat").

For health, working on heavy bag with arthritis joints is physically painful. Just thinking about that you are going to lose your punching power because you no longer work on heavy bag is also mentally painful. It's hard decision through old age.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-14-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Doesn't look like this guy gave up on much of anything! I think the old people that don't listen to people tell them what they shouldn't be doing at their age and keep active are the ones you see like this gentlemen.

My grandmother is 98 today... She still cooks and does cleaning around the house. She just started using a cane within the last two yrs... since her balance is a bit off now. But, otherwise shes in good condition and has all her wits!
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    Doesn't look like this guy gave up on much of anything! I think the old people that don't listen to people tell them what they shouldn't be doing at their age and keep active are the ones you see like this gentlemen.
    In your old age, you can

1. train twice as hard to maintain your ability.
    2. give up combat and care about health only.

90% of the people may select the 2nd path. Those who stay on the 1st path, they may live longer than others.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post

My grandmother is 98 today... She still cooks and does cleaning around the house. She just started using a cane within the last two yrs... since her balance is a bit off now. But, otherwise shes in good condition and has all her wits!
    Slowing down is a choice. "If you rest, you rust!"
    If you keep training, especially flexibility and resistance, you won't be hobbling and shuffling around like Tim Conway.
    If you continue to read, and challenge your mind, you will remain alert and sharp.
    (barring any genetic disease, such as Alzheimer's)
    If your body releases less growth hormone, and loses muscle and skeletal mass and density after 30, then your need to make adjustments.
    Resistance training releases gh, and increases (or maintains) bone and muscle.
    As you age...you should increase your activity, not the other way around.

One of my teachers is 76, and still moves like someone 30 yrs younger.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    "If you rest, you rust!"
    There are 2 different kind of attitudes you can have when you get old. When you see a beautiful girl, you may ask her:

- Is your mother single?
    - Do you have young sisters?

Which attitude do you prefer to have when you get old?

There are 2 different kind of attitudes you can have when you get old. When you see a beautiful girl, you may ask her:

- Is your mother single?
    - Do you have young sisters?

Which attitude do you prefer to have when you get old?
    One that won't get me arrested !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !