Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Pork Chop's latest workout blog

Tuesday August 7, 2012
    Boot Camp:
    1:00:00 || Intense! (+546 pts)
    1hr CampKO with a ton of stations. felt like there was a lot of focus on legs today. killed me pretty good.
    Boxing:
    1:00:00 || drills (+391 pts)
    1hr of heavybag drills in BoxingKO class. Didn't feel like I was hitting hard today at all. Did try to slow things down a bit to work on proper form. Swinging of the bag was giving me some issues. Wasn't doing a great job of dropping my stance on ducking.

A bit achy and tired today (Wednesday).

EDIT: oh, and fyi, my weight's down to 195. want to try to break under 190 by the time my wife & kid get back on the 24th of August.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Took wednesday off because I wasn't feeling too hot.
    Fell off on the diet a bit in the evening coz my 370cal dinner wasn't cutting it.

Thursday August 9, 2012
    Boot Camp:
    CampKO wasn't so bad today. We did 3 people per station, 4 trips around - fewer stations than usual. That, combined with the rest on Wednesday left me feeling pretty good.
    Boxing:
    1:00:00 || practice (+293 pts)
    Boxing Technique class. One of the guys may have a fight coming up so he stood post defending & jabbing while we all took turns. He was wearing a coaching-style body protector so he didn't take too much damage. Unfortunately we each only got about 5 min of work in. Props to the guy for surviving 18~19 rounds.

Feeling pretty good today, much better than last Friday, so the idea of sparring won't seem like such an uphill battle. Plus, I want to let the dude from yesterday get some payback after we all went to town on him yesterday.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Friday August 10, 2012
    Boxing:
    1:00:00 || scrimmage (+367 pts)
    1 hour of high intensity heavybag drills at BoxingKO followed by 1 hour sparring class - went 4 rounds straight myself. took a nice body shot. apparently i'm improving. still have a looooong way to go.

Was kind of dreading sparring most of the day at work. I don't know why, it just gets in my head and I get anxiety before hand. Actually doing the sparring was pretty fun: I don't mind getting hit so much, I don't let myself get angry in there (much different than the old days), and I'm learning a LOT.

feeling sad tonight, miss my family.

Wow, I haven't been doing a good job of maintaining this thing....

Saturday, August 11, 2012
    BoxingKO:
    Finally woke up on time on Saturday for once. Did a 1 hr BoxingKO class. it was brutal. My body is definitely not used to working out before noon.
    KajuKempo:
    2:00:00 || practice (+1012 pts)
    Stuck around for a 2 hr kajukempo class taught by one of the boxing coach's dad. It basically felt like going through kung fu basics without the forms. Will probably go back, it was fun.

Monday, August 13, 2012
    General Yoga:
    1:00:00 (+180 pts)
    Didn't sweat as much, but was in the front of the room and the air circulation was a little better. Felt good tho.
    BoxingKO:
    Did boxing stations in BoxingKO today. Kinda like CampKO meets Bag Drills. Busted out the agility ladder, the mini hurdles, and the jumbo tire added to a few different heavy bag drills to make a nice, exhausting circuit.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012
    Boot Camp:
    1:00:00 || The Gods Hate Me! (+576 pts)
    Lots of legs in this CampKO circuit today. While it was hard, my legs didn't cramp up as if I did a megaset of heavy squats. I mean, they did hurt a bit, but it tired me out more than anything. Wasn't feeling well after. Came home, showered and crashed. Skipped BoxingKO - just couldn't do it.

Was up late on Monday night because of all the chores I have to do these days.
    That's part of why I was feeling sick today (Tuesday).
    My nap was only about 2 hours long - I kinda wish I just slept through the night.
    Hoping it's not going to be too hard to get back to sleep.
    On the bright side, I do feel a bit better.
    Weight was down to 190 when I got home from the gym.

Was sick the rest of last week....

Saturday, August 18, 2012
    Running (treadmill):
    0:12:00 || 1.3 mi (+107 pts)
    Finished 1 mile under 10 min and the rest was cool down. Peaked at 7mph.

Pull-Up:
    5 reps (+55 pts)
    5 reps (+55 pts)
    5 reps (+55 pts)
    Failed on the 5th on a couple of the sets.

Machine Bench Press:
    130 lb x 10 reps (+47 pts)
    150 lb x 10 reps (+53 pts)
    170 lb x 6 reps (+55 pts)
    190 lb x 5 reps (+59 pts)
    190 lb x 1 reps (+32 pts)
    190 lb x 2 reps (+40 pts)
    190 lb x 4 reps (+54 pts)
    Was having issues with recovery on 190. Kept failing a lot.
    This workout was in the gym of a hotel, so their free-weight selection was lacking.
    It was either doing chest press on a machine, or doing bench on a smith machine....

Barbell Lunges:
    100 lb x 10 reps (+107 pts)
    These sets are 10 reps each leg.

Clean and Press:
    100 lb x 1 reps (+57 pts)
    Had to do a clean and press for each set of barbell lunges.

Still sore today (Monday) from the lunges.
    Still kinda sick too - was coughing quite a bit Sunday evening & a few coughing fits already today. I would still like to work out today regardless and I'm definitely planning to hit yoga.

Still sick this week.
    Got tired of pigging out & being useless, so I decided to work out Wednesday:

Wednesday August 22, 2012
    Running:
    0:45:00 || 4 mi (+373 pts)
    Not really sure on distance or time. Left work at 5:30, gym is just pretty much across the street, left the gym at 6:40. Jogged on a trail outside.
    Boxing:
    1 hr boxingKO class. Wasn't going to go after running because I've been sick. But I decided I was tired of feeling guilty. Work out went okay. Only had a few coughing fits (covered my mouth in my shirt). Could reach a nice cruising speed, but wasn't able to really push the pedal to the medal on sprints; in fact, I noticed the same thing during jogging. Tried to sprint out the end of the jog and was only able to set a decent cruise speed.

This morning (Thursday), woke up with a sore throat & could feel my cough coming back worse.
    Been drinking green tea + ginger + local honey most of the last 2 days, it seems to help.
    Going back to the gym tonight.
    I know this technically makes me *that guy*; the one that gets everyone sick, but tired of sitting at home. I had a medium pizza for dessert on Tuesday! I've come too far to lose it all now.
    If it starts getting real serious, I know I'll have to take more significant time off; but i'd like to push through this. Hit 189 last week. So close to my goal. I've already ballooned up again from that mark, and if i take off too much more time, i'll be that much further away.

Thursday August 23, 2012
    Boot Camp:
    CampKO for an hour. Pretty brutal actually. not so many stations, but a long time on each one. Weren't that many people. Highlight was a burpee where you jump into a pull up at the top. Actually kept it interesting.
    Boxing:
    1:00:00 || drills (+391 pts) - BoxingKO
    1:00:00 || practice (+293 pts) Boxing Technique
    1st hour: BoxingKO. Heavy bag drills with lots of calisthenics. 2nd hour: Boxing Technique class, with a circuit of skills-related drills and more calisthenics.

Friday, August 24, 2012
    Boxing:
    1:00:00 || scrimmage (+367 pts)
    First hour: BoxingKO - 1 hr of heavybag drills. Second hour: Sparring class. Got at least 6 rounds.

Saturday, August 25, 2012
    Boxing:
    BoxingKO class.
    KajuKempo:
    2:00:00 || practice (+1012 pts)
    Kajukempo - 2 hr class. First 30~45 min was rough, could barely stand up after BoxingKO. Did a lot of apps. Last hour or so was form/kata work. Worked on some hung gar as well.

**** chops...glad to see you're still at it. You train more than I do....and probably eat better too.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by SAAMAG View Post
    **** chops...glad to see you're still at it. You train more than I do....and probably eat better too.
    thank ya sir.
    long time no see.
    Hope you're doing well.

Not sure I'm doing things right tho.
    Sick again this week.
    I keep getting these double whammies of cold (usually chest) and skin infection (pimples that swell up real bad).
    The skin infections don't seem to get as bad as full on staph - because they heal up in about a week; but they sure do hurt.
    Not sure if there's some insect that's biting the cr@p out of me or if my immune system is just that compromised or what.
    I take a lot of special precautions to be clean - 2 showers a day when i work out, constantly changing clothes, special soaps (use both antibacterial soap & Defense soap in the shower), special laundry detergent.
    This stuff just doesn't go away... it gets a lot worse the more i work out.
    I'm finding this especially true if i work out on saturdays.
    It's really frustrating.... and painful - i can barely sit down right now.

Monday August 27, 2012
    General Yoga:
    1:00:00 (+180 pts)
    Starting to feel run down again. Want to take it a little easier this week.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012
    Boot Camp:
    1:00:00 || The Gods Hate Me! (+576 pts)
    Very hard CampKO, but i survived it pretty well.
    Boxing:
    Went back to station drills in tonight's BoxingKO. Lots of footwork drills. Exhausting, but fun.

I'm back bi+ches....

To recap:
    In June started getting MRSA infections.
    Took a few weeks off, but made it back into the gym in July.
    Infections kept coming & going.
    August, the famz went to Japan, while I stayed home, worked out, & started getting into Buddhism. Managed to get under 190 this summer.

September the infections really started picking back up again.
    Fell off the diet for a few weeks in late September, early October.
    Even went vegetarian for almost 2 weeks - somehow gained over 20lbs.

In October I found out that my car was infested with spiders.
    The type of spider is "yellow sac", which is like a toned down version of a brown recluse, it's bite causes conditions exactly like I've been seeing.
    Went to see the doc and got back on antibiotics.

Got back in the gym & mostly back on diet by late October, but mentally pretty screwed up.
    Confidence completely shot, been doing vegetarian Sundays but always end up eating too much, weight's not back under 200 yet.

For the most part, I've been pretty healthy skin-wise since October.
    Any skin stuff has usually coincided with spiders re-infesting my car (bug spray lasts maybe a week - even though I have ethical issues with using it).

Try to work out 5 days a week:
    Mon = yoga
    Tues = campKO + boxing bag class
    Wed = muay thai (mostly hold pads these days, did get certified as a coach)
    Thur = campKO + boxing bag class
    Fri = boxing

Been doing a lot of meditation.
    Only am now starting to feel like myself again (not sure that's a good thing ).

Friday December 21, 2012
    Well, the world didn't end today.... i guess the day's still not over...

Hit up boxing class today.
    Stayed after for sparring, but just didn't feel up to it.
    Was very tired from the class and a little nervous about getting in there.
    Talked with the coach, we agreed that it's not the right time till it feels natural.

PS- got my muay thai coaching certification last weekend (picked up certificate on monday).

got another infection on my shoulder friday night
    had been seeing spiders in and on my car last week, so not too shocked.
    this one is pretty bad though.
    didn't have access to my normal stash of soaps & antibiotic ointments to take care of it over the weekend while i was in houston, so it got worse than it would've otherwise.

going to take at least another day or two to heal.
    will still try to work out on thursday, keep it covered, and stay off the ground.

Recovered from the last round of bites over the holidays.
    Been getting back in the gym regularly, just haven't had time to update.
    Will start logging again when I have time.

Dusting this thread back off because I need to start up again.
    This post may seem to be a rant more than anything of substance, personally, I find it useful to put my thoughts to words so I can re-read later if need be.

For almost the past year I've been doing a lot of class-type workouts, this makes it hard to track, because either I go to class or I don't and if I go to class, I'm not logging all the exercises.

About 3 or 4 weeks ago I had a really bad day in sparring.
    Long story short, it caused me to reevaluate what's been going on.
    I've had some issues with my training for a while, it's just that the sparring fiasco gave me an excuse to want to do something about it.

In a nutshell, my training for a while has been mostly conditioning.
    I couldn't/can't make the boxing technique classes, which are only offered late at night.
    For a while I thought the cardio bag & conditioning classes were good enough, because the coaches had told me so. It's only recently that I've finally been able to admit that cardio bag & conditioning classes are not a substitute for legit skills training.

This year's been a little rough and the sparring experience was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back. So many setbacks, seems like a new one every month or two. Spent the last few weeks in a free-fall, living way unhealthy, and trying to figure out how to pick the pieces. Spent a lot of time thinking about what I want to do & where I want to go from here.

Currently, I'm waiting for 2 gym contracts to expire - the krav maga gym & the boxing gym. They should both be up in the July~August time frame. Afterwards, I'll be a free agent again.

Leaning towards splitting my time between muay thai (being trained, not just as a trainer) and solo kung fu practice, while working out at the free onbase gym.
    Muay thai - my main issues are sparring partners and the new hours (they may be a little too late for me). At the moment I don't quite have the budget for it until I drop the other 2 contracts.
    Kung fu - my main issues are how to learn and how to practice. If I want to learn new stuff I'm going to have to find out how to train with people that can teach, which may be difficult. As far as practice, that becomes an easier issue once I know what I'll be doing.
    On base gym - I may not be working on base for very much longer.

Going to hit the on base gym tonight.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 05-13-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Sorry for the setbacks PC, but kudos on having the spine to keep pushing through.

Keep it up.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.