Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pork Chop's latest workout blog

Saturday 3/10/2012
    honestly thought i entered this workout blog on saturday.
    goes to show you that i was hurting quite a bit.
    muay thai from 11 until after 2.
    started off with 5 rounds of jump rope + calisthenics
    coach killed me with 3 rounds on the pads - I puked my entire breakfast at the end of the 3rd.
    few rounds on heavybag and then spent the rest of the time working defense counters with 5 other students.
    the last part doesn't sound like much, but with the calorie deficit I was pushing at that point, it was like a marathon.

was 227 after that workout, 228 sunday morning, and 229 this morning - I'm assuming fluctuations for water weight. had a bowl of ice cream saturday night (after puking up my biggest meal of the day, I felt entitled) and a glass of skim milk sunday night; but otherwise, I've been staying on diet.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Monday 3/12/2012
    Yoga + weights tonight.

Yoga was pretty intense, was dripping sweat even by half way through.
    Afterwards I really didn't feel like lifting.

Weights
    Deadlift 275lbs x 5reps x 3sets. 25lb 2-handed swings 10reps between each set. This was nice and heavy. Don't know if I'm liking the swings.

135lb hanging clean felt... well.... clean

Squat 225lbs x 5reps x 3sets. Squat jumps 10 reps between each set. I don't know what happened here. The weight is not that heavy. At the bottom of the movement my butt kept shooting out as I was coming up. It wasn't hard to correct once I was out of the bottom, I'm just not sure why I kept doing it at the bottom. My back's pretty sore, so I may pay for this tomorrow.

I had the same problem about 8 years ago. Back then I actually got correspondence from Dan John. His response: "front squats, and overhead squats". Thing is, I don't experience this breakdown in form until a certain weight and I can't even get close to it with front squats or overhead squats; which tend to do almost nothing for my legs, but really tax my upper body. Maybe I just need to do a set of overhead squats with just the bar to find my balance before I start the back squat with weight. I dunno. I'll try to figure something out Thurs or Fri if I'm not injured.

Just wish I knew why. Am I too narrow? Am I too wide? Is my upper back not activated (shoulder blades pulled back)? Is my grip off? Am I going too deep? Back not arched enough?

Could be too heavy, it only happens when the weight is even a little bit of a strain. Otherwise, squats are really freakin easy. I don't even feel like I'm getting much of a workout with 185. Today's the first time it's happened in recent memory.

Honestly, I think it might be exhaustion. The high rep speed stuff right after heavy stuff is really taxing. I'd rather work on explosive/speed stuff a different day.

Overhead press 115lbs x 5reps x 3sets. Explosive pushups 10reps between each set. Until the last set the overhead press was pretty easy. Last set, last rep or two was a bit of a grind. The pushups were pathetic. Failed the second set for speed, had to do them on my knees at the end. The last set of pushups I tried jumping pushups - think i made 5 before i had to do them on my knees. The speed stuff really isn't working for me; it's just too taxing.

Assisted Chinup 60lb assist x 5reps x 1set; 50lb assist x 5reps x 2sets. Assisted chinups for speed 110lb assist x 10reps in between each set. First set was way too easy. Overall, didn't feel bad.

If my back isn't screwed up, Thursday or Friday I'm going to take a serious look at what I'm doing in the weight room. One of my big concerns is not doing too much volume, because I don't want weights to interfere with my other training. If the explosive/speed stuff is putting me at risk for injury, then it needs to go.

I'm not looking to kill myself in the weight room; just enough to stimulate, maintain, and keep my joints healthy. A little added strength would be nice.
    I'm thinking I'll probably drop the speed/explosive stuff, I can work that stuff at the muay thai gym (ie squat jumps, clapping pushups, burpees, etc).
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Tuesday 3/13/2012
    Monday night was bad - my back basically seized up.
    Luckily, my wife gave me a massage and I still had some heating pad type things that I could drop into my back brace.
    The pain had lessened by Tuesday morning and by lunch time it was basically gone.
    By then, the rest of my body started getting sore from Monday's weights.
    My legs are more sore Wednesday (2 days later) than they have been in a while.

Did cardio bag class Tuesday night.
    Like I said, sore starting out, but after the warm up I felt pretty good.
    Workout was pretty hard.
    Finished up with 2, 2-minute burnouts; which I found a little weird.
    For me, they ended up being like a hard bag round, and probably not a true burnout.
    I guess I pace myself too much.
    Most everyone else started out with the 30 second burnout pace, and slowed it down significantly by the end.
    My pace was pretty consistent, but active, and hitting hard.
    I was spent by the end and that's all that counts.

Wednesday 3/15/2012
    Muay thai.
    5 rounds jump rope with calisthenics
    held pads for 3 rounds
    hit pads for 6 rounds
    held pads another 2 rounds
    5 rounds of sparring
    4 rounds of heavybag (kicks).

Friday 3/16/2012
    Thursday I ran through gung gee a couple times, but otherwise, it was my rest day.

Friday was muay thai.
    Tried to make up for the fact that Saturday won't be any class - coach is going out of town.

Pretty hard workout, about 2.5 hours.

Saturday 3/17/2012
    Gym was closed Saturday, coach was out of town.
    Borrowed a key and could've opened myself, but didn't really feel comfortable taking that kind of responsibility. Won't lie, a day off sounded terrific as well.

Ended up playing the Kinect dancing game for 3 or 4 hours with my wife.
    Completely sweat through everything I was wearing, which was surprising.
    It's a lot more fun than jogging.
    Going to try to sneak some game time in when I can.

Monday 3/19/2012
    Yoga + weights tonight.

Yoga was fun.
    Broke a good sweat and got a nice stretch.

Weights went much better this week.
    Decided to do some box jumps (30~36 inches? not sure) at the end instead of explosive stuff in between each set.

Squats 205lbs x 5reps x 3sets - dropped the weight down about 20 pounds and it went much better. Had a couple "iffy" reps; but nothing as egregious as last week. Narrowed my stance & tried to focus on getting my elbows under the bar. The narrow stance kept things kind of in check and the elbows helped me to get my focus on the ascent.

Deadlifts 275lbs x 5reps x 3sets - heavy, but good. Form felt okay, but it's heavy enough that it's hard to know for sure.

Didn't like my hanging clean so I did a second one with 135. The second one was perfect.

Assisted chinup 50lb assist x 5reps x 3sets - this actually felt really easy.

Assisted dip 50lb assist x 5reps x 3sets - this was actually harder than the chinup, i was surprised. Felt good though.

Box jumps 3rd smallest box (about 30 inches?) x 10reps x 3sets - really exhausting, but felt pretty cool.

Wednesday 3/21/2012
    Had the day off from work to go to various doctors around town.
    Worked on Gung Gee for over an hour and got pretty far into it.

Left my house to go to the muay thai gym a little after 4pm.
    I left the muay thai gym after my workout a little after 8pm.
    The almost 4 hours in between was pretty much a marathon.

Thursday 3/22/2012
    Picked up my new gloves, my food for the next 3 days, and went to a later Crossfitness Plus class at 7:30.
    The workout was hard, very hard:
    20 min abs, 20 min calisthenics with med ball, 20 minutes bag work.
    Abs - hip flexors kind of gave out when it came time for scissor kicks (after a TON of leg lifts).
    Calisthenics - one part was 30 seconds pushups - 30 seconds plank - repeat for 5 minutes, no breaks. Pretty quickly it was like "okay, so I can't do anymore pushups, and even the ones on my knees are looking bad." Not sure how much good I got out of the whole 5 min, seems like the first minute or two would've sufficed.
    Bag - Short & sweet. The new gloves performed admirably. 12oz took a little getting used to and they're not quite broken in yet, so my knuckles were pretty sore on my left hand. 2 minute burnout round, I stuck with power punches.

Not sure if it was the smaller gloves, drinking more water as soon as the workout was finished, under-performing on those pushups, or taking a few minutes to cool down before jumping in the car; but my recovery tonight was much quicker than I'm used to. Normally, I'm crashed out on the couch or in front of the computer for at least an hour or 2 before I can do anything. Tonight, I immediately jumped in there and helped out with my kid.

Friday 3/23/2012
    Muay thai, 2.5 hours.
    Killer workout.
    Sparred the guy that broke my ribs, he didn't really take it easy on me.
    After 1, 5-minute round, i opted out so I didn't get injured again.

Saturday 3/24/2012
    Muay thai, just under 2 hours.
    Was still kind of hurting from Friday.
    Hit it pretty hard today, but didn't feel like I was performing my best.
    3 rounds of intense pad work pretty much killed me.

Monday 3/26/2012
    Just did yoga today for an hour.
    Thinking I'll sneak in the weights on Thursday before i go pick up my food.

Didn't get much sleep last night - kid woke up at 2:30 in the morning screaming.
    My joints were really achy all day and my allergies have been horrible.
    I was pretty wiped all day Sunday.

Not sure if it's burnout or what.
    Diet's been very hard.
    The weekend was a huge struggle.
    Today wasn't much better.
    I feel drained.
    Muscles aren't sore, it's mainly my joints and a general feeling of weakness.
    I'm not sleepy all the time either, in fact sleep hasn't been easy.
    I am pretty grumpy all the time.
    Not too amped to work out, but I'm not really dreading it like I sometimes do.
    Allergies are hitting me pretty hard too.
    Symptoms I'm experiencing aren't what I'm familiar with as far as "overdoing it."

Think I'll spread it out a little bit this week & possibly take off the weekend.
    Might go visit my folks in Houston on Saturday.

Going to weigh in on April 1st to check my progress.
    If I'm under 220, I'm thinking about adding a cheat meal on Saturdays; and taking weekends off altogether once I either hit 200 or reach my birthday in June.
    If I'm over 220, I was thinking of 1 cheat meal and then no more until June, at which point I'd do the 1 meal a week thing, followed by weekends off once I reach 200.

I'd like to wait til Easter to take that first cheat - to coincide with lent.

The reason I'm thinking about cheating all of a sudden is because I'm getting pretty burned out on some of the food. A lot of it tastes great, but certain dishes are getting very repetitive. I've had almond dijon crusted chicken every 3 days for the last 5 weeks. I can't even eat the pureed parsnip & cauliflower replacement for mashed potatoes anymore - it makes me nauseous. Saturday night my friends were talking about ordering a pizza at midnight and I had to exit the conversation - the cravings were coming on too strong. Ended up dreaming about pizza.

The end result of all this is that it's a little more hard core than I really want to be right now. I love the idea of eating healthy stuff most of the week and losing weight, but the calorie deficit is pretty severe most days, I often feel weak, and I don't want to have crazy cravings. Overall, I don't think my current routine will last much longer than this summer - it's just taking up too much of my life and not leaving me time or energy for other things I want to do.

I'm all about making this a lifestyle change, which is why I have to figure out a system that keeps the majority of my meals healthy, but lets me eat what I want from time to time as well. I know my wife misses going out to eat and spending that time together.

At some point, I'll probably cut back a bit on the working out - probably drop Saturdays, and make 8 o'clock my new curfew. I think in June, I'll know how likely it will be for me to compete and/or reach my weight goals. May have to dial back some of the focus on rushing towards my goals and remind myself that it's a marathon not a sprint - that I need a maintainable lifestyle to get where I want to get. That lifestyle's going to have to include my other interests outside of the gym.

Yikes, that's a bit more of a rant than I really wanted to do. Oh well. But at the very least, this is what's going through my head right now, so I can look back on it if I ever question any of the decisions I made/make.

Tuesday 3/27/2012
    Cardio bag class - 1 hour.

Tried the grant 16oz gloves this class and I may have to retire them.
    They're just not good for anything - too slow for classes where I have to take gloves on & off, velcro pops open any time I spar, too much space inside the glove for my liking with regular wraps and hitting the bag. Should've bought the super bag gloves instead.

Class went okay.
    At first it didn't feel like I was making much contact, once I did start making contact, I broke the fastener holding the chain for the heavybag up on the rafter. Chain hit my shoulder on the way down, kinda hurt.
    Moved to a bag that was much more solid.
    Don't like taking class with tonight's instructor; she's one of the ones that I don't feel has the fundamentals down as far as proper power generation.
    She calls out combos and has a tempo that encourages arm punching.

Starting to think it's time to mix up this part of the schedule too.
    May swap Wed muay thai for Tuesday and do Crossfitness Plus on Wednesday.
    Crossfitness Plus is a lot like the bag class, but follows the 20-20-20 (core-strength-bag), so a little less focused on the bag work, more focus on fitness.
    If I'm doing muay thai 3 times a week, I would prefer to dial it back on bag work, especially if it's encouraging bad technique.
    That would make my schedule:
    Mon: Yoga, Tu: muay thai, Wed: Cardio Bag, Thur: weights, Fri: muay thai, Sat: muay thai

I'd really prefer to be doing All-In-All-Out (on Thursdays) instead; but I don't think I can handle it.
    Maybe if I just did it the first 60 min instead of the full 90?
    I'll talk to one of the instructors.
    If I did switch it up to include All-In-All-Out, my schedule would become:
    Mon: Yoga, Tu: Muay thai, Wed: Weights, Thur: All-In-All-Out, Fri: Muay Thai, Sat: Muay Thai. Friday would be very light, mostly technique & bag work. Having something like weights on wednesday is good because it's short & easily movable, so I don't have to worry about it so much on the evenings I have my meetings.

Hrm... lot to think about...

Wednesday 3/28/2012
    Muay thai tonight.
    Went every bit of 2 hours.
    Rounds were 5 minutes (and 10 seconds) with 1 minute rest.
    Jump rope x 3 + calisthenics on the rest
    10 kbell swings + 10 rope ball slams - repeat for 2 rounds
    1 round of tire jumps & using tire as a box for box jumps
    held pads 2 rounds
    hit pads 3 rounds
    4 rounds of leg conditioning on heavy bags.

I'm burnt.

btw- all in all out is form 6 to 7:30 on thursdays, and they don't like people who modify, quit, or duck out early, so it looks like that's not in the cards for me right now.

Thursday 3/29/2012
    Weights first, then held pads.

Squat 205 x 5, 205 x 5, 185 x 5 - The first 2 sets weren't that heavy; I just didn't like my form on them. So for the heck of it, I dropped off a 10 from each side and viola, my form was perfect. I'm going to experiment next week by starting at 185 and increasing only 5 on each side. Hopefully I can figure out a way to keep my form with heavier weight.

Deadlift 275 x 5reps x 3sets - Hurt my hands. It was heavy, but for the first time, it felt like I had perfect form.

Assisted Chinup 40lb assist x 5reps x 3sets - Decided to drop the assist for the heck of it and was surprised that it was almost just as easy as I remember the 50lb assist being. Thinking it might be a combination of weight loss and not losing as much strength in this area from the calorie restriction.

Assisted Dip 40lb assist x 5reps x 3sets - This was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. In fact, I think it was easier than 50lb assist last week.

I forgot to do box jumps - I was kind of tight for time today. Can't decide if I want to sneak in 3 sets of 10 squat jumps tonight or just mix it in with my calisthenics tomorrow.

My friend has a pro mma fight April 20th and asked me to rock sanshou style padwork. I put him through 5 rounds of he|| and even managed to break a sweat myself.

Between clashing with the bar on deadlifts & feeding my friend kicks on padwork I managed to bang up my right shin pretty good today.