Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pork Chop's latest workout blog

Friday 3/30/2012
    2 hours of muay thai
    went back to 3 min rounds
    focused mostly on boxing
    got through 300 skip knees (each leg) - was averaging about 100 a round
    got in my explosive calisthenics and some tire work as well.

Saturday 3/31/2012
    Mowed the lawn, packed up the family, drove to Houson, and played in the pool for a couple hours once I got there.
    219 when I woke up, I was down to 217 after mowing the lawn.

Sunday 4/1/2012
    Played in the pool a couple more hours before packing up and driving home.
    Made it home in pretty much record time.
    Realized that I've associated that drive home with alcohol.
    Had the worst cravings to fall off that I ever had.
    Was hurting for pizza so bad I started getting a lump in my throat like I was going to cry.
    I was hungry again as soon as I finished my dinner.
    I ended up falling off and ordering from domino's.
    First full on cheat meal in 5 weeks at least and I didn't drink.
    I knew I was going to cheat eventually, just was hoping to wait until easter weekend.
    Time to let it go and move on.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Sounds like you have yourself a pretty good workout over the weekend. Playing in the pool is actually pretty strenuous sometimes. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    Sounds like you have yourself a pretty good workout over the weekend. Playing in the pool is actually pretty strenuous sometimes. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks.
    My kid kept asking me to do cannonballs and make big splashes.
    The hot tub felt good too.
    Forgot how much I love the water.

Monday 4/2/2012
    Yoga class.
    I did some ram muay/wai kru to warm up before class and I guess the teacher saw me because we did a similar yoga sequence during class.
    Warrior pose for over a minute really killed my left leg; especially when it was immediately followed by the twisting warrior prayer pose on the same leg.
    Think my calorie count for the day was under 1200; didn't feel hungry because I was still working on the food from the day before.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Tuesday 4/3/2012
    1 hour cardio bag class at krav maga gym.
    Wasn't too bad.
    Shoulders are pretty achy, but otherwise I wasn't too burnt afterwards.

So are you working out to lose weight? Or just because?

So are you working out to lose weight? Or just because?
    My main goals are (in order):
    -weight loss
    -one more run at competition
    -cardio vascular health
    -add/maintain strength

Thursday 4/5/2012
    Weights first, then held pads

did a quick hanging clean - it was kind of cr@p.

Front Squat 135lbs x 5reps - beautiful form. It was the perfect warm up to kick off squats.

Back Squat 185lbs x 5reps x 2sets; 195lbs x 5reps - First 2 sets felt good, so I wanted to try adding a little. My form still stayed fixed. I still have to put some effort into keeping my hips under me and keeping them from sliding back at the bottom of the movement; but I felt like it was under control. I'll just need a bit slower of a progression. Next time I'll start with 195 & do that for a few weeks before shooting for 205.

Deadlift 275lbs x 5reps x 3sets - Hurt my hand on the first set. Hand gave out after the 4th rep on second set - the 5th rep on that set was garbage. Third set went okay. Not sure what's happened to my grip strength. Probably the diet.

Did a second hanging clean with 135, this time it was easy.

Chinup 40lb assist x 5reps x 3sets - 40lbs doesn't feel like much of an assist, but it's not super difficult either. Feels pretty good I guess, though I could probably drop the assist in the next week or 2.

Dip 40lb assist x 5reps x 3sets - same as the chins.

Held pads for 5 rounds total. First 2 rounds were 3 min, last 3 rounds were 5 min. On the rest rounds I did my explosive movements: squat jumps, jumping lunges, and at the end I did clapping pushups.

Think I damaged the muscle at the base of my shin in the front. Think it's 1 injury that's lingered for the last few weeks, not a new injury each time out.

You still have lots of time for competition, maybe not as intense but if you treat your body well you have years to go.

You still have lots of time for competition, maybe not as intense but if you treat your body well you have years to go.
    Found out tonight I might be on a card in Oklahoma in August.

Friday 4/6/2012
    muay thai tonight
    beast mode

3 min round 1 min rest:
    5 rounds: jump rope, calisthenics on the rest
    1 round: burpees (made about 35)
    1 round: 20 jump squats + 10 clap pushups + 10 jumping lunges each leg + 10 more clap pushups + 20 twisting jump squats
    1 round: 10 2-handed medball slams + 10 2-handed kbell swings * (repeat)
    1 round: 10 kbell swings each arm (both sides) + 10 medball slams each hand (both sides) * (repeat)
    2 rounds: tire jumps, twisting med ball crunches on rest
    2 rounds: shadowboxing with weight vest, footwork drills on rest
    1 round: shadowboxing no weight vest

3 min round 30 sec rest:
    2 rounds: heavy bag, everything
    1 round: heavybag, low round
    1 round: heavybag, teep
    1 round: heavybag, mid level round
    1 round: heavybag, teep
    2 rounds: heavybag, boxing
    2 rounds: heavybag, everything

finished out with 300 skip knees (continuous)

Saturday 4/7/2012
    Sparred half the people in the gym during a 3 hour marathon workout centered around technique.

How do you manage sparring for 3 hours? Jeez.

How do you manage sparring for 3 hours? Jeez.
    Wasn't sparring the full 3 hours.

Actual rounds worked out to something like:
    3 min rounds, 1 min rest: 5 rounds jump rope with calisthenics on rest.
    about 15 or 20 min of shadow
    3 min rounds, 1 min rest: sparring 4 rounds straight
    defense drills & 1-step sparring for the next hour and a half
    5 min rounds 1 min rest: sparring for 2 rounds straight (might've been 3, can't remember)

A lot of the defense drills were hands, so we try to throw that stuff at realistic speeds.

Monday 4/9/2012
    Yoga class for 1 hour at the krav maga gym.

Trying to do the "regular" sized meals from the place where I get my food, instead of the "large" meals. "Large" meals run from 400 to 600 calories per meal, for a daily total of somewhere between 1400 and 1800 calories. "Regular" meals run from 270 to 400, for a total around 1200 (often less). Owner of the shop told me the plan is built around having a snack outside the 3 meals that runs around 200 to 300 calories.

Even with the snack, it's still a bit of a shock to the body. Back to feeling weak and tired again. I'm going to see if I can stick the "regular" meals out for a month. I don't know if I see myself going that low for much longer than that. My BMR is still over 2000 calories, so having almost a 1000 calorie deficit even before working out is pretty severe.

Yeah I figured it wasn't for 3 full hours but still that's a lot I would gradually lower your caloric intake, I couldn't get it you are doing that or not. I need to start working out too again.

Yeah I figured it wasn't for 3 full hours but still that's a lot I would gradually lower your caloric intake, I couldn't get it you are doing that or not. I need to start working out too again.
    I wasn't that clear in my post, but the meal plan I've been on (since the last week of February) has been between 1500 and 1800 (k)calories per day; 400 to 600 (k)calories per meal. This week I switched it up to a plan with 250 to 450 (k)calories per meal, for a total that's often less than 1200 (k)calories.

I'm supposed to be supplementing with snacks to get that number back up. I've been trying to plan late-afternoon "mini meals" of either yogurt & fruit, or a meal-replacement protein shake (350 (k)calories and 42g of protein). I'm not that big of a snacker and I really don't like the idea of leaning on protein shakes. I grew up being HUGE on supplementation and aside from fish oil gels and a multivitamin, I'm not big on the idea of supplements anymore.

Today has been crazy, not really sure if I'm going to be able to make it to the gym, I've been putting out fires most of the afternoon. It's got me thinking that maybe I should ease up on the gym while I get used to reduced calories. Unfortunately, I have 2 big seminars this month, so I'm not sure that's really an option.