Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Pork Chop's latest workout blog

UPDATE:
    Tuesday was horrible, one of the worst days I've had in a long time.
    Had a lot of trouble with work, Home Depot, and H&R Block.
    The trouble caused me to miss training and that pushed me over the edge as far as dealing with the diet.
    Between the frustrations with those companies, missing my workout, and the sheer lack of calories, I think it kicked off a minor depression - I took a nap after doing some work from home and still went to bed real early.
    In between the two bouts of sleep, I managed to pig out on freezer food.
    Woke up this morning still a bit down, my temper's off the charts.
    This stuff better get resolved tonight.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Thursday 4/12/2012
    Finally got back on track tonight.
    Tues and wednesday were horrible, best to just put it behind me.
    I think I'm finally adjusting to the food.
    Lunch was just under 500 (k)calories; so that might've had something to do with it.
    I can survive on a light breakfast, but lunch has to be 400+.

Tonight I went to krav maga gym for 1 hour cardio bag class.
    Wore the 12s and wrecked that class.

Afterwards, I dropped off my food at home and headed to the BTT gym to work with my pro fighter friend.
    I warmed up about 3 rounds on the double end bag and 3 rounds of heavybag.
    Then we did 5, 4-minute rounds with 30 seconds rest legit padwork (sanda style).
    By the end of the padwork, even I was pretty tired.

New handwraps came in tonight.
    In all, over the last month or so, I've averaged less than $2.20 a pair for 20 pairs - 10 Top Contender, 10 Ringside.

So far, I'd rank Everlast wraps #1, Ringside #2, and Top Contender #3. All of my wraps are 180inch Mexican style wraps.

The Top Contenders aren't bad per se, but every pair seems to have slightly different elasticity. In general, they're much less elastic than my Everlast wraps. The Top Contenders seem to be the longest and possibly the thickest of the three. They kinda feel more like traditional wraps than Mexican style wraps. They're my least favorite, but I don't hate them. They might be the best for loose fitting gloves with questionable wrist support.

At first I thought the Ringsides would just be a yellow version of the Top Contenders, with a wider velcro strap. The elasticity was somewhat similar to the Top Contenders and less than the Everlasts. The Ringsides are thinner; possibly the thinnest, which is nice, because they shape around the fist more like gauze. The more I wore them the more I liked them. They kinda mold to your fist over time.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Well it's good to see you're better. It is better not to rely on supplements like you said and to get it through foods. Good luck on training, I'm headed to a tournament this weekend, as a spectator that is.

Friday 4/13/2012
    Absolutely wiped tonight.
    Might be getting sick.
    Hit muay thai up for about 2.5 hours.
    The guys for the seminar came early.
    More than a little intimidating to be working out in front of a 7-time Raja****ern stadium champion and a big time trainer of champions.
    What I did shouldn't have been a hard workout at all, yet I'm hurting.
    Spent the whole class working with newer students, barely had any time for my own stuff.
    Throat's a little sore so I hope I'm not getting sick.
    Hope tomorrow goes better.

Saturday 4/14/2012
    Showed up at the gym at 11.
    Seminar ran from 3 to 6.
    Not quite sure how, but I survived a 7.5 hour workout - heck, I challenged my buddy to 300 skip knees after the seminar was over & even did extra.
    Paid for it later that night, had a nasty leg cramp when I was laying in bed - thought I was going to die.

Sunday 4/15/2012
    Demonstration for Songkran festival.
    Did wai kru/rammuay and some demo sparring.
    Took a pretty nasty leg kick from one of the guys - played it off like nothing happened when he apologized, wasn't going to give him that satisfaction.

Back on "large" sized meals. My calorie count on Sunday; last day of "regular" meals, was just over 1000 after my 3rd meal. Ended up eating a 4th meal to finish it off, putting me at around 1400 for the day. Don't regret jumping back up. I'll restrict cheat days to once or twice a month. If I can't lose weight at 1500 calories a day, then "oh well".

You should easily be able to lose weight with that caloric intake, it might take awhile because I believe 1 lb of fat is 2000 calories, Maybe I'm wrong but lowering your daily intake along with the workout to burn those extra fat calories away you should notice it. Keep workin hard

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    You should easily be able to lose weight with that caloric intake, it might take awhile because I believe 1 lb of fat is 2000 calories, Maybe I'm wrong but lowering your daily intake along with the workout to burn those extra fat calories away you should notice it. Keep workin hard
    Yeah, I think it's 3500 (k)calories for one pound (of fat). My daily requirement; being almost 35 years old, around 5'10", and over 210lbs, is over 2000 (k)calories before you factor in any sort of exercise - that's what my body burns just being alive. So even just staying at 1500 (k)calories a day and no exercise, I should lose about a pound a week. Given my workload, it should be significantly higher than that.

Going much lower than 1500 leaves me sick - either weak, lethargic, sleepy, light-headed, or just plain flat. At 175~185 lbs, my basic metabolic rate would still be 1800 (k)calories a day, so it's good that I'm comfortable at 1500.

My ultimate goal is to reset my body's concept of "natural weight". Which means dieting down to where I want to be, and doing whatever I can to maintain that weight for at least 1 year. Hopefully, at that point, my body will try to maintain that new weight; as opposed to trying to pack on any pounds to maintain my old weight. Homeostasis is a powerful enemy, I'd like it to be a powerful ally.

Monday 4/16/2012
    Yoga class - 1 hour.
    Didn't do much core.
    Stuck with flexibility mainly, with a killer warrior pose sequence (think 2 minutes of bow & arrow stance each leg), and some balance work.
    Dropped by the muay thai gym after to drop off a belly pad that we used at the Thai festival.

Tuesday 4/17/2012
    Kid was sick monday night with a fever and one of the neighbors thought it was cool to crank up the bass until well after 1am; so I didn't go to work. Never did find out who has the subwoofers.
    Got to catch up on my sleep a little bit. I've had a nagging sore throat the last week and it went away on Tuesday, of course it's back on Wednesday after not getting enough sleep (maaaaybe 6 hours).

Cardio bag class - 1 hour.
    Best combos yet.
    This instructor actually knows what he's doing as far as putting punches together.
    He even asked me if I fought. Made my day.

Wednesday 4/18/2012
    Muay Thai for about 2 hours.
    First 30 min ~ 1 hour was really high intensity; second not as much.
    Gym schedule's going to change up come May 1; it'll be tricky because no more friday class.
    Fighter training will start later in the evening and later on saturdays.
    This might be a good thing, because if I show up early, I should be able to work conditioning on my own with fewer interruptions.
    I'm hoping he mixes in more pad work along with the counter techniques.

EDIT: woke up this morning and was 212
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 04-19-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Hey Chops,

Good work battling the caloric restriction with the work load. I don't envy you that struggle.

I'm curious though, you seem pretty detailed when logging your MT sessions but I haven't read of any dedicated clinch fighting. Is it just something you don't explicitly record cause it goes without saying in sparring or maybe just reading comprehension fail on my part?

Well clinch is largely lumped in there with the whole "counter techniques" thing.
    Yesterday, one of the techniques we learned was how to initiate a clinch once your leg was caught; also how the other guy could get out of it.
    On the other hand, I don't do anywhere near the amount of clinch sparring that I'd like to.
    I'm lucky if I can sneak in a round or two on a Saturday class and it doesn't happen often.
    Most of the guys I train with don't really even like doing dedicated clinch sparring.
    In regular sparring, they usually don't have a choice.

Since we're re-formatting the class schedule, I want to ask if we can re-format the structure of the classes. We need 5 rounds of pad work and 3 rounds of clinch sparring every day. If I trusted more of my training partners to approach sparring without injuring each other, I'd say 3 rounds of sparring every day too.

Learning techniques is good, but not much of a workout and it's of limited use if you're not using it.

I've been hearing good things about raspberry ketones for fat loss.
    I haven't read the studies though but some people are having good results.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Friday 4/20/2012
    Muay thai class
    Haven't been feeling well this week - sore throat and cough.
    Not super serious, but just enough to kill performance.
    Took Thursday off to sleep.

As a side note, I'm finding it hard to fit in weightlifting sessions. I missed my lifting workouts the last two weeks. This is partly due to time constraints, partly due to worries that fatigue will cause my form to break down leading to injury, and partly due the feeling that it's so different from my other workouts, possibly counter-productive for weight loss. The last 2 weeks I haven't been feeling great, which is really the main reason. This week was illness, the week before from not eating enough. Hopefully when I feel normal, I'll be more consistent with lifting.

Friday night's class was exhausting...
    I worked very hard, especially the first 30 min - 1hour.
    By the time I got to the bag I was dragging & moving slow.
    Did one round on pads with this new combo and it was pretty abysmal.

Saturday 4/21/2012
    Saturday I felt even worse than friday.
    I was initially just going to show up, drop off the key and go home.
    I decided to stick out muay thai class anyway.
    Glad I did.

After jump rope, i did some shadow and actually got in a lot of pad work with my coach.
    I think it was 3 rounds hands and either 2 or 3 rounds of kicks.
    Last 2 rounds I had to take a 5 second breather half way through.
    Couldn't breathe through my nose because of the cold and it was coating my lungs.
    It was pretty frustrating, but at least better than Friday's performance.
    New combo's coming along a little better.

Coach said his grand vision for the fighters is pretty much what I mentioned before:
    5 rounds mitts, 5 rounds thai pads, clinch sparring, and regular sparring.
    He said when we work up to that we can fight anybody.

After class I had a bunch of green tea with ginger and honey.
    At dinner I went for vietnamese pho soup & got jasmine tea.
    Cold's starting to feel a lot better.

I may have cheated a little saturday night (pho with desert after); but in general, I feel like I'm doing okay. Normally when I get sick, I completely throw any diet out the window. This time, except for a little splurging on Saturday(s), I've done a lot better.

I was 210 on friday morning.

Monday 4/23/2012
    Yoga class - 1 hour
    worked on some new poses
    pretty strenuous
    good stretch

went to the muay thai gym for about an hour
    worked on flexibility, stretch kicks, shadow, and med ball slams.

Tuesday 4/24/2012
    cardio bag class at the krav maga gym.
    wore my title weighted bag gloves.
    old fashioned oven mitt style bag gloves with weights in the wrist.
    2.5lbs each glove.
    was pretty burnt afterwards.
    had some nice crunch on the bag.

coulda sworn the spazz next to me was trying to compete.
    we'd start off and his punches would get louder, until he blew his wad and would take a break in the middle of the drill (often quitting the drill outright) - this continued for the whole hour.
    he did have some nice push kicks on the burnout rounds.

i still have a problem intentionally overdoing it on the burnout rounds - i keep up a good strong pace, and I finish the round strong. I'm usually hurting on the rests; but i can't help but think i should be going harder.

i also still have a problem with missing the bags. the sweat makes the bag real slick and the bags will bounce off the ground on the back swing, making the bag take off in weird, unexpected directions. Sometimes I'll catch the surface, the bag will take a weird swing, and my strike will slip off from the sweat. Other times I'll miss outright because the bag will bounce off the ground on the back swing and suddenly veer to the left.
    Both scenarios mostly happen with hooks & elbows. Occasionally on the back swing, when the bottom hits the ground, the top will bounce backwards and I'll hyper extend a jab, but not as often.
    I guess it's good to get practice recovering from misses & glancing blows...

I've been kicking around the idea of adding extra mini sessions to make up for Saturday's cheat.
    This is kind of dangerous because I feel like I'm already on the verge of over-training (or already well over-trained). I had thought to do an extra cardio session after bag class, but I really didn't have anything left afterwards.

In the evening I ran through a kung fu form, did some yoga with my wife, and we did 50 body weight squats together. I also cleaned out my car (for my trip to Plano on Friday). It wasn't much, but at least it was something.

Wednesday 4/25/2012
    Muay thai, 2 hours
    killed it in anticipation of the seminar over the weekend.
    lots of conditioning stuff like tire flips, tire jumps, etc.

Took Thursday off so I could be fresh for the seminar.

Friday 4/27/2012
    Muay thai seminar in Plano.
    Left town around 9 friday morning.
    Got up to the seminar around 1:30 and jumped right in (was a bit late for the 1-3 session).
    Afterwards, I got to participate in a semi-private that Nop was giving at Chris Brennan's gym.
    Spent the evening driving all over DFW before ending up at a Laos New Year's festival.
    I brought my food for the trip, but it spoiled from sitting in the car all day.
    Due to a snafu with rides home, I ended up driving a lot of the Thai fighters to Saekson's house, including Samart who was riding shotgun - which was effing pretty cool.

Saturday 4/28/2012
    Had trouble concentrating this whole weekend and Saturday it was the worst.
    Friday night I only got 3 or 4 hours of sleep after all that driving & working out.
    Hadn't heard from my wife, she didn't respond to her texts, so I was a bit distracted thinking about that.
    Most of the seminar was clinch and it didn't seem I could do anything right.
    My partner was convinced that I didn't know what I was doing.
    One particular technique: over-under clinch into a shoulder lock, I couldn't seem to get even with Neungsiam helping us.
    Had a smoker at the end of the event: 1min body boxing, 1 min kicks only, 1 min clinch only.

Body boxing, I should've won easy, dominated the first few exchanges, but I got hit, realized the guy was wearing cleto reyes fight gloves instead of sparring gloves, I got mad, and fought stup!d. I fell in love with the rear upper cut, because I saw it doing damage; so I'd wade in through his combos to land the big one. He tagged me as I was stepping back at one point and I stumbled, which looked bad. At one point I did go back to sticking & moving and tagging him at will; but it wasn't enough. They scored it draw.

Kicks... I gave the guy the first kick because he said I low-blowed at the end of the body boxing. I went for a leg kick in response & made the mistake of spinning through it lazily. He scooted back, making me miss and immediately fired a headkick. I finished my spin to see a head kick in the air. It connected, but didn't hurt at all. I was disappointed, because headkicks are usually a KO. Funny thing is, it finally helped me find my groove. After that, any time he kicked, I swept him. I had a hard time initiating offense with kicks without my hands; but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. They gave me the kicking round from all the throws.

Clinch... he immediately got double neck tie right off the bat. Rules were if they drag your head down, they get a point, 3 times in a round and you lose. I immediately countered and escaped. After that, I didn't want to get adventurous, I secured over-under clinch and tried to stay busy with side knees. I tried to throw him a bunch of times but couldn't pull it off - he had good base, and I was kind of forcing it. He did manage to throw me once, but i held on and reversed, sending him flying over me as i went down (might've been a faux pas for thai rules, but that's def a judo thing). They scored the clinch round a draw.

I felt horrible about my performance. I felt like I lost and maybe I should have, I don't know. In the end, I've never won anything on points before, so at least there's a small victory in that. I know I got a lot to work on. It's time to start sparring hard again.

After the gym we went back to the Laotian New Year festival for a few hours and then drove home. Finally got in touch with my wife on the ride home and started cheering up a bit after that. Fell off the wagon Saturday night to let off some steam (and besides, a "w" is a "w").
    Sunday, I ate way too much barbecue and my body rejected it (puked a lot).

Time to get back on the wagon and step it up.
    According to the Thais, running is the most important part of training.
    Apparently, I need to start jogging again; but I really don't know when I have the time.
    I stopped breathing on the body boxing round when it started becoming rock-em-sock-em robots and my coach thought I looked gassed before the kicking round. Crazy thing is i didn't feel gassed at all... oh well... I know a big part of it is just relaxing and doing what needs to be done - losing my temper and taking 2 to give 1 is not going to cut it.

Crazy weekend.
    I really learned a lot.
    Gotta figure out how to step it up even more (not sure how at the moment).