Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Pork Chop's latest workout blog

Monday 4/30/2012
    1 hour yoga class
    then headed over to muay thai gym
    muay thai workout ran for over 2 hours
    lots of clinch work
    coach really took notes at the seminar; at the same time I prefer coach's style of clinch techniques - not as complicated, more usable & versatile.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Tuesday 5/1/2012
    Krav maga cardio bag class for an hour.
    Dude next to me hit me in the shoulder and didn't even bother to apologize.
    Was tempted to start sh!t; but don't want to get kicked out.
    Class was pretty good otherwise.

Went to btt to hold pads for my friend, but he couldn't.
    Hung out for a bit and went home.

Could've gone to bed earlier last night, but it wasn't bad.
    I'm really drained this week.
    Feel weak and lethargic.
    Tonight I have a work-related meeting, so no training.
    Still going to run late, so I don't know that it'll help me recover any.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Thursday 5/3/2012
    Took of Wednesday for my meeting. Luckily I was able to get to bed early, so Thursday was the best I've felt all week.

Hit the gym first:
    Squats: 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 185 x 5, 185 x 5 - form held solid until the last set; which wasn't bad, just not perfect.
    Deadlifts: 225 x 5, 275 x 5, 225 x 5 - My hands can't handle the heavier weight. On the second set, had to set the weight down after the 4th rep before I could crank out 5. 225's alright, but 275 feels like it's ripping my hands open.

135lb hanging clean was okay, not good, not bad.

Chinups: 40lb assist x 5, 10lb assist x 5, no assist x 4, 25lb assist x 4 - kept failing on rep 4 (last 2 sets)
    Dips: 40lb assist x 5, 25lb assist x 5, 10lb assist x 5, no assist x 5 - pretty easy.
    Chinups: no assist x 5 - number 3 was ugly, number 4 was a fail, and number 5 was a 10-second negative.

Afterwards, I went for a jog. Decided to try running on my toes like the barefoot crowd suggest. I was surprised at how easy it was. Jogged for over 30 min and it was EASY! Not hurting today, so I think the experiment was a success. I'll still probably only jog once or twice a week, but at least it's something.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Thursday 5/3/2012
    Took of Wednesday for my meeting. Luckily I was able to get to bed early, so Thursday was the best I've felt all week.

Hit the gym first:
    Squats: 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 185 x 5, 185 x 5 - form held solid until the last set; which wasn't bad, just not perfect.
    Deadlifts: 225 x 5, 275 x 5, 225 x 5 - My hands can't handle the heavier weight. On the second set, had to set the weight down after the 4th rep before I could crank out 5. 225's alright, but 275 feels like it's ripping my hands open.

How are you doing the DL's?
    Aren't you setting it down after every rep and starting from the weight on the ground?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    How are you doing the DL's?
    Aren't you setting it down after every rep and starting from the weight on the ground?
    I barely tap the ground between reps, if even that much.
    I'm always at least within an inch of the ground.
    I rarely set the weight all the way back down.
    I could do that, i really don't see there being that much of a difference, it might save my hands some.
    I just don't like the idea of being able to rest between reps.

As others here have pointed out to me, DL aren't meant to be done that way. Each rep should be started from the ground where the weight is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    As others here have pointed out to me, DL aren't meant to be done that way. Each rep should be started from the ground where the weight is dead.
    Fine, I'll do that.
    I just really don't like making noise between every rep, and I'm going to be really tempted to rest.

I barely tap the ground between reps, if even that much.
    I'm always at least within an inch of the ground.
    I rarely set the weight all the way back down.
    I could do that, i really don't see there being that much of a difference, it might save my hands some.
    I just don't like the idea of being able to rest between reps.
    This is how people hurt their backs...
    Fine for light weight to warm up but not beyond that.

Fine, I'll do that.
    I just really don't like making noise between every rep, and I'm going to be really tempted to rest.
    The rest is not a bad thing, especially in the low rep/high weight training.
    You rest the weight, set yourself again for correct form and do the rep, stop at top, lower the weight slowly and do not drop it, rest it and start again.

This is how people hurt their backs...
    Fine for light weight to warm up but not beyond that.
    Really? I've only ever hurt my back doing squats.

The rest is not a bad thing, especially in the low rep/high weight training.
    You rest the weight, set yourself again for correct form and do the rep, stop at top, lower the weight slowly and do not drop it, rest it and start again.
    Doesn't sound so bad when you put it like that.

Really? I've only ever hurt my back doing squats.

Doesn't sound so bad when you put it like that.
    Back issues in squats tend to be because of bar palcement and leaning too forward but back issues in the DL come in two forms ( more actually but for the purpose of this discussion):
    Too heavy a weight and hips too high on the pull/start of the move.
    Back fatigue due to not resting the bar.
    Its called a DEADlift for a reason
    You can also DEAD Squat which is a real PAIN !

Friday 4/4/2012
    Muay thai.
    Starting to get real sore from the weight session.
    hit it pretty hard for 1.5 to 2 hours.
    everything was focused on conditioning: kbells, tire, calisthenics, med ball slams.
    pretty intense workout.
    finished with 2 rounds of low kick conditioning on the heavybag.
    found out my right leg is ready to go again.
    was so tired by the end that i could barely move.

we'll see how i do today, my thighs are still real sore.

Saturday 5/5/2012
    muay thai
    hard workout
    finished out with 4 rounds of hard sparring
    was working with 2 newer (less than 1 year) guys and coach wanted me to hit them hard to teach them.
    not sure how i really feel about it, as they aren't on my level.
    both seemed to appreciate the help, even though they took some really hard shots.
    at least i was wearing 16s and they knew it was coming, so it was a bit more humane than other seniors teeing off on them with no notice, wearing 12oz gloves.
    It was a good workout; I was pretty spent by the end.
    I did actually get to learn a couple things I need improve as well.

204 after the workout.

Monday 5/7/2012
    yoga class 1hr
    Good class
    Was having kind of a bad day, I've been feeling pretty burnt lately.
    Was supposed to hit up muay thai afterwards, but I decided to just leave it at yoga.

At the moment, i have 1 actual rest day scheduled (sunday) - i usually end up taking off at least one more day whether i want to or not, but only one day scheduled.
    i think i need monday to be relaxed in order to keep my schedule strong elsewhere.
    In fact, I like my schedule the way it is and am not thrilled about having to add to it.
    Coach is keeping the gym open late mon-thurs for fighter training and I should be there.
    Thing is, that training goes till 9:30pm, which is WAY late for me.
    I'm going to try to swing by tonight after cardio bag class.
    I just want to work on technique tonight - maybe fix my footwork for combos.
    When they see how exhausted i am after cardio bag, i think they'll take it easy on me.

Tuesday 5/8/2012

cardio bag at krav maga gym 1hr
    was actually a little flat for this class.
    didn't feel like i was really killing it.
    only did one burnout round and i found myself doing the same combo over and over about half way through.
    sweat real good at least.

went to muay thai gym after for 1.5 hrs.
    worked mostly technique.
    did a 5 min pad round.
    focus has been on stepping into my punches to blast through the target.
    think i'm getting better