Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pork Chop's latest workout blog

Tuesday 8/22/2011
    Went to Cardio bag class tonight.
    I'm probably not doing this class right.
    I notice some folks go apesh!t on the bag
    others just bounce & kinda sorta punch with the music
    i sacrifice a bit of the speed on the number of repetitions of a combo, in order to try for proper form when i can.
    dude next to me was one of the ones going apesh!t
    nonstop, with almost nothing in the way of proper mechanics.
    i wish i had his endurance and his speed
    good workout though.
    pretty fried after an hour.
    felt a little easier than last time, probably because I knew what i was in for and because we didn't have to kick.

Sticking to the diet and doing okay on that front.
    but my wife is already creating a lot of friction when i try to make the simple request of measuring ingredients; or asking for a recipe with a portion size & calorie count.
    May end up having to do all my own cooking.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Wednesday 8/24/2011
    Today was Cross Fitness; not to be confused with crossfit.
    This workout fits in more with traditional crosstraining than that program.
    First 20 min was weights (pretty much continuous), next 20 min was ab exercises (continuous partner work), last 20 min was continuous bag work.
    The weights section was a high-rep circuit with low weight dbells & bodyweight exercises.
    The abs section was ab exercises with partners for time (ie 30 seconds leg lift 2 sets ea).
    The bag section was pretty standard for the bagwork at the gym, with some bodyweight stuff mixed in (like dropping for burpees when they call it).
    The bag work at this gym is not like my usual bag work. We're not doing 3 min on, 1 off.
    It's continuous, it's fast paced, it's not freestyle - I like it for fitness as long as my form does not deteriorate.
    Super tired after that workout.
    They really burn you in an hour.

Still sticking to the diet well.
    It's small tweaks to what I normally eat.
    Next week I'll probably be doing the cooking, so my opinion may change.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Thursday 8/25/2011
    Went to krav maga level 1 class tonight.
    For some reason I thought it would be one of my easier days...
    I think I was wrong...
    The warm up was all kinds of nasty.
    I was sore, so pushups and burpees hurt real bad.
    The partner pad work was deceptively taxing.
    Almost puked at one point.
    The end was fun - multiple attacker drill, knees on one guy holding pads, periodically the other guy comes up behind and attacks, you gotta respond, then first guy bumps you with the pad so you start throwing knees at him again. Rinse, repeat.
    Tired when I got home.

Diet's still going well... not eating enough actually.
    Tomorrow's muay thai, saturday is my first ww weigh in.

Friday 8/26/2011
    Went to muay thai tonight
    5 rounds of jump rope (10 x pushups, crunches, bicycle crunch, leg lifts after each round)
    5 rounds of shadow
    5 rounds of heavybag
    Kru Vong was back from vegas tonight (he took over Master Toddy's gym there)
    I kinda wussed out.
    They're used to me working marathon workouts.
    After my 15 rounds were up, I called it a day and sat down to watch everyone else.
    I may have bowed out much sooner, but my intensity was higher when i was working out.
    The bad thing was that I missed out on correction from Kru Vong & Kru Phet; I got to salvage some of that by watching how other people were being corrected and keeping a close eye on the little details.
    Don't get me wrong though, I was friggin burnt after that workout.
    Heck, I'm still burnt.
    It's 97 now, but an hour ago it was over 100, with no AC.
    I might've been able to do more, but after this week, I wanted to make sure I didn't kill myself.

First week of working out went well.
    Bit sore and tired, but as long as i don't overdo it on any single workout, I should get stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Friday 8/26/2011
    Went to muay thai tonight
    5 rounds of jump rope (10 x pushups, crunches, bicycle crunch, leg lifts after each round)
    5 rounds of shadow
    5 rounds of heavybag
    Kru Vong was back from vegas tonight (he took over Master Toddy's gym there)
    I kinda wussed out.
    They're used to me working marathon workouts.
    After my 15 rounds were up, I called it a day and sat down to watch everyone else.
    I may have bowed out much sooner, but my intensity was higher when i was working out.
    The bad thing was that I missed out on correction from Kru Vong & Kru Phet; I got to salvage some of that by watching how other people were being corrected and keeping a close eye on the little details.
    Don't get me wrong though, I was friggin burnt after that workout.
    Heck, I'm still burnt.
    It's 97 now, but an hour ago it was over 100, with no AC.
    I might've been able to do more, but after this week, I wanted to make sure I didn't kill myself.

First week of working out went well.
    Bit sore and tired, but as long as i don't overdo it on any single workout, I should get stronger.
    Good work Pork Chop!

Just keep getting the work in and you'll start shedding the weight off. Most important thing is to make sure you get the work in every week, though. Consistency!

We'll hold you accountable here so don't let us down and make sure you log your workouts.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Good work Pork Chop!

Just keep getting the work in and you'll start shedding the weight off. Most important thing is to make sure you get the work in every week, though. Consistency!

We'll hold you accountable here so don't let us down and make sure you log your workouts.
    hehe thanks
    I got my nickname because i would show up at the gym everyday, work hard, and still be a lard azz
    So the diet's very important to me.

Went to weight watchers this morning.
    Weight at end of week 1: 245.4lb
    Change: -6.8lb from first weight watchers weigh in. Almost -10lb from first unofficial.

I don't want this to be a short-term thing. I'm in this for the long run. I need to eat in a way that I can continue for the rest of my life, and I have to keep aware of that fact. Trying to establish good habits here, not just bootcamp it for a few weeks. As a result, I've got 2 issues with dieting:
    1. Is not getting bored with the food.
    2. Is not getting overwhelmed with the preparation of the food.

For the first issue, I know if I don't eat stuff I like, I won't last but a day or so.
    So I've got a few methods to approach this:
    1. Eat what I like and just adjust portion sizes - this works for a lot of things, but not everything.
    2. Find recipes of stuff that I like that's healthy from the get go - the only worry about this goes back to issue 2.
    3. Eat what I want from time to time, points be d@mned - this is kind of playing with fire.

I have some other friends that do the weight watchers thing. Every one of them suggests ignoring the diet at least once a week. A couple take a full day off each week. One made it sound like she takes off whenever she gets a serious craving (usually about once a week).

I'm thinking for me, one meal each week of whatever I feel like eating wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm thinking of splurging on Saturday dinner - so I have a full week of dieting before the next weekend weigh in. As long as I keep it one meal, once a week, I should avoid the trap of ruining a week's worth of work in 1 day.

Today, I don't really even feel like the cheat day, but my hope is that if I strike preemptively, I won't wait until it gets too late and it will still be manageable.

For the second issue, right now I'm trying to scan in a bunch of recipes that I like from various cookbooks. The next step is to calculate points for each recipe and then generate a grocery list of ingredients. Going to buy a week's worth of groceries tonight. This week is going to be tough because I'm tasked with the cooking. So execution is everything.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 08-27-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Monday 8/29/2011
    Yoga night.
    Made me feel pretty light headed afterwards.
    Not so much like I had low blood sugar or was dizzy; but like fuzzy.
    I think it's helping me to get my flexibility back though, so it's all good.

Cooking for myself this week.
    Made Vegetarian Enchiladas; didn't eat till like 9:30.
    Definitely had low blood sugar while trying to chop veggies.
    Not too fun, but at least I have leftovers for lunch - got tired of subway all the time.

you've probably already heard this before, but in case not. What helps with me when i cook for myself as i don't like having cold cuts for lunch at work everyday is make a bit extra for dinner, then you can have the rest for dinner the next day. ie: if you're making chicken, then bbq an extra chicken breast, then use that in a quesadilla the next day. Or make a T-bone steak one night and eat just half, save the other half for tomorrow. Make a decent size lasagna on the weekend and freeze portions that you can just pull out of the freezer when you need to. Make a pot of soup on sunday and freeze portions also.

Just some things i've done that work for me.

Brule
    That's one of my favorite techniques to use when I cook.
    I made almost a double serving of enchiladas last night, so I've got leftovers for days.
    My wife; on the other hand, only makes enough food to eat for one meal.
    I've even caught her halving the amounts listed in recipes so as to not have "too much".
    I'm not sure why she hates leftovers so much; but it's really pretty inconvenient.
    This week I'm hoping to show her that even if she doesn't like leftovers, I do.

Tuesday 8/30/2011
    Cardio Bag class tonight.
    They changed up the teachers for this month, so it was a bit different than last time.
    Did a ton of burpees.
    At some point I hit a nasty wall, and at certain points I was in "survival mode", where I could barely move and just kinda flailed around.
    Brutal class.
    I noticed that a lot of it is like tabata intervals.
    For certain exercises we go ballz out for 20 to 30 seconds and do 10 seconds of active rest.
    Cooking tonight was an adventure.
    Made spinach turkey lasagna.
    Almost fell out a bunch of times.
    Food was delicious though (and low calorie).
    Don't know what I'm cooking tomorrow yet tho.

Wednesday 8/31/2011
    Workout today was the crossfitness.
    first 20 was a circuit:
    lunges for time, flex tube curls for time, 25lb kbell swings for time, pushups for time
    second 20 was ab death, with planks, more pushups, and enough leg lifts to kill someone
    last 20 was basically tabatas on the bag

I survived a bit better today, but I did have a few bad moments.
    kinda wussed on some of the pushups and the ab work.
    Afterwards, I was tired, but not quite as shaky as I have been.
    Hope it's a sign that I'm getting better.

Diet the last two days has been solid.
    Heck, I've actually had a hard time eating enough.
    Tonight was yellow fin sashimi and roasted veggies.
    I'm full and still have a lot of points left.

Thursday 9/1/2011
    Krav maga class tonight.
    I was kind of ambivalent about doing it beforehand.
    As a martial art, while I respect the realistic scenario-based self defense stuff, it's not what I'm interested in.
    Plus, I was still very tired from my other workouts earlier in the week.
    Luckily, the class was more of a first-timers' class and very easy.
    I even had some fun - my partner was a nice guy.

Diet wise, today I had a bunch of leftovers.
    Pretty sure I came in well under points again, but not at all hungry.

Fruday 9/2/2011
    Muay thai tonight
    Barely even got a warmup
    spent most of the time doing defense/counter drills with a partner.
    it was fun and it's one of the things i really need to work on to get my stuff back.

showed a lot of self control at dinner.
    ate a chirashi bowl that wasn't very big.

Saturday 9/3/2011
    Little disappointing today at the weigh in.
    Got about 243, for less than 2lbs lost this week, and 8lbs overall.
    Trying to take it in stride, my average is still 4lbs a week, and my goal is time and not weight, so this doesn't mean anything.
    This next week is probably going to be a bad workout week because of school and the vacation.

Monday 9/5/2011
    Didn't make it to the gym on labor day.
    School and family kind of got in the way.
    This week is going to be tough - Wednesday evening I have a meeting for a professional group, Thursday night I have class in Houston, not sure I'll be able to make it back by Friday.
    Looking like Tuesday will be my only workout day.
    Thinking I'll hit up muay thai and put in a nice long workout.
    Knee started bugging me last week, so I'm hoping I don't tweak it further.