Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Pork Chop's latest workout blog

Monday 9/19/2011
    Yoga tonight
    it was easier than it has been.
    Either an easy work out or i'm getting better.

Diet's been kind of dicey last 3 days.
    I think I was probably within my points, but I definitely didn't go about it the way I'd like.
    Cheat meal was pretty bad.

Just gotta try harder the rest of the week.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Tuesday 9/20/2011
    Tomorrow my wife's going to a concert so I went to bag class tonight at krav maga gym.
    class was tough, but i made it through.
    Might be getting easier.... was doing better at their jumping stuff till my knees started bugging me.
    in order for not being able to work out tomorrow, I got my 100 kicks on the bags in the weight & bag room.

ran into my first 2 nongs at this gym.
    they walked in during my 2nd set of 35 kicks (i do 3 each leg).
    first thing they did was throw my gear so they could get at a weight bar.
    I apologized and went to move my bag, then went back to my kicks.
    During my 3rd set, the guy that threw my stuff stared at me, then ran at the bag, and went apesh!t for about half a minute before he gassed.
    Technique looked like he's been there a while; but he didn't seem to know how to pace himself.
    Between each set of weights he'd run and go apesh!t on the bag till he gassed, it got shorter and shorter.
    Meanwhile, I just kept throwing round kicks in sets of 35, with short rest between sets.
    Then, right before my last set, his buddy walks over and throws my sh!t again.
    Again, I move it apologetically.
    While I'm doing that, the first guy jumps on my bag and starts kicking it, trying to show off or something.
    I stare at him for a sec, he throws some kicks and walks off.
    I line up in front of it and he runs in and kicks again.
    At that point, I walked over to the other bag he'd been working on earlier.
    As soon as I'm about to start on the other bag, he says "you can work over here", so I walk over to my older bag and he throws one more kick as I'm about to start.
    I say "you can use the bag if you want, just say the word."
    Of course his headphones are in so he doesn't hear me and doesn't respond.
    Whole thing made me mad, though I know it probably shouldn't have.
    Gotta wonder if the posturing is due to a lack of sparring at this gym.
    Tried to imagine that going down at the muay thai gym and can't.
    Up till now, everyone's been really cool.
    Gonna do my best to forget it happened; can't go around smashing every rude person out there or let it get to me.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Thursday 9/22/2011
    All-in-all-out class tonight.
    I was expecting more hiit; but it turned out to be kind of a strength day.
    did a bunch of body weight stuff on the rings.
    felt like jello afterwards.
    worked out though, because tuesday was all high intensity intervals in the bag class and I had to miss crosstraining on wednesday.

not sure how much diet damage i did last weekend.
    saturday's weigh in will be my first in 2 weeks.
    the rest of this week I've done very well.
    can tell that I've made progress, but still have a long, long way to go.

Friday 9/23/2011
    Muay thai tonight.
    Got in my 5 rounds of jump rope and a round of heavybag before coach called me over.
    I was able to score a small victory.
    Convinced my coach to let me work thai pads.
    Mentioned it earlier, but he's just been having me do defense drills with everyone and I haven't been getting much out of it; it's not taxing enough to get me a workout, their technique is not realistic enough yet to help me improve.
    So today, doing thai pads for 5 rounds a piece was awesome.
    Mixed in the defense drills when it was my turn to hold, so my partner could work his defense. Wore shin guards and everything. Worked out very well, because he almost fell out after the first round of just doing offense, so mixing in defense helped him go the full 5. Burned him in the end of course.
    When it was my turn, he's still a pad noob, so there are still a lot of growing pains there.
    It did help me work my conditioning, my distancing, and my balance - coz I didn't know what he was going to call.
    I'm really going to push to work thai pads every friday.
    After my 5 rounds on thai pads, I finished up with another 3 or 4 rounds on heavybag.
    Good workout, had a nice sweat going.

Had bad news today - found out that I dropped one of my new gloves out of my bag at some point. Looks like I'm going to need another pair.

felt like jello afterwards.
    Reading this workout log makes me feel like jello

Good job though!

Quote Originally Posted by zhugeliang View Post
    Reading this workout log makes me feel like jello

Good job though!
    Thanks man.

9/24/2011
    Weight watchers meeting this morning.
    Weighed in.
    Took a sneak peak last night after dinner and it was discouraging because I was only down 2.5lbs for the last 2 weeks.
    This morning's weigh in was much nicer:
    Current weight: 234.2lbs
    Change from last weigh in (2 weeks ago): -6lbs
    Total change since start of weight watchers: -18lbs

12 more pounds till my short-term goal (the weight I hit last year on weight watchers).
    35 more pounds till my mid-term goal.
    60 more pounds till my long-term goal.
    Finished my first month, 11 more to go for my overall goal.
    Still a long way to go.

Monday 9/26/2011
    Yoga tonight.
    It was hard, but I didn't feel all spacey afterwards like I usually do.
    In fact, I felt really good, albeit drenched in sweat.
    So I grabbed my gloves, snuck into the bag & weight room, and worked power punches for reps (forgot my timer).
    Did 100 power uppercuts each hand on the wrecking ball.
    Did 100 power crosses & lead hooks on the regular banana bag.
    Tried to throw each shot as powerfully as I could.
    I imagine it probably took at least 5 to 10 minutes.
    Pretty exhausting, but fun.

Found out what likely happened to my boxing glove.
    Seems I'm missing my yoga mat out of the trunk as well.
    I think on wednesday when I went to the pet store to get dog food and other stuff for my dog that had been skunked the night before; I probably took the mat and the glove out of the trunk to make space for the dog food and forgot to put them back in.
    If it was thieves, it makes no sense that they'd only grab 1 glove and a 15 dollar yoga mat, leaving a $60 tool box, a stroller, and a bunch of other stuff.
    Luckily i got a new yoga mat from target in time for class.

Diet wise, Saturday could've been a lot better. Sunday did a bit of a fruit & veggie fast.
    Today I ate really clean. Any damage I did on Saturday should probably already be made up for, and definitely be made up for by the end of the week.

Tuesday 9/27/2011
    Soy sauce with the sashimi must've been enough sodium to cause me some serious water retention issues. Weighed myself just for the heck of it this morning; it was another 6 pound jump. That had dropped 3 pounds by tonight before dinner. Another day or so and I should be back to normal. [EDIT: that 3lbs stayed consistent over night. Not quite sure what's going on with my weight, but I'm going to just stay on track and work hard. I'll be cutting back on my free saturdays]

Muay thai tonight.
    Did my 5 rounds of jump rope with calisthenics between rounds.
    Got to get in a lot of pad work.
    Held for 9 or 10 rounds, got to work for 4 or 5.
    Got in 100 round kicks on my left leg on the hard bag.
    Holding pads was a lot of fun and helps me out almost as much as the guy I'm working with.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 09-28-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Wednesday 9/28/2011
    Crosstraining tonight.
    Was kinda scared of it all day.
    Didn't eat enough and was a bit tired by the end of work.
    I think the nerves helped.
    By the time we started the class, I was blowing through all the exercises.
    Weight circuit went well.
    Core went better than in the past.
    We started off the core workout with a minute of leg lifts holding a swiss ball with our legs and then another 30s to 1min of 6inch hold, still with the swiss ball - didn't do so well on this part. Once we moved on to crunches and my hip flexors got a little rest, I was fine for the leg lifts we did later.
    Bag workout felt like nothing.

Skimped out on the 100 kicks on my right leg yesterday at muay thai.
    Thought about making them up on the softer bags at krav maga, but just felt like going home so I left.

When I got home, I jumped on the scale out of curiosity and I was back down to Saturday's weigh in weight.

Two more workout days this week.

Got my stuff from Title boxing in the mail today. I went to them for my Boon 14oz gloves. Big mistake. Title's selling knock off Boon's. It's like they got someone to try to make a copy using Title's cruddy padding and rubbery synthetic leather. Horrible. Not to mention, way huge. They're basically a 16oz glove with less padding - huge pocket, bulky. 14oz gloves usually have the same thickness of padding as 16s (or at least similar), but a smaller profile and a tighter pocket. Disappointing. But my legit gloves are already on their way and I'll be returning the Title garbage on Saturday.

Thursday 9/29/2011
    All in all out class today.
    1.5 hours of kettlebells, jogging, calisthenics, battle ropes, plyometrics, more calisthenics, and even some pad work.
    I was dead by the 1 hour mark, but managed to hobble my way to the end.
    I'm ready for bed.

Weight was down 4lbs from this morning after that workout.
    My weight's all over the place this week though.
    I may even be above last week's weight by saturday's weigh in.
    Oh well.
    I've got faith in my plan and I'm following it as perfectly as I can.
    As long as I stick with it, results will come.
    Still going to cut back on how much I eat on the cheat day and see if I can go a few weeks without one.
    I know when I would lose weight in the past, I would lose a bunch of weight, then wobble up and down for a week or two, then lose a bunch more weight, then wobble up and down there.
    It was never like a constant rate.
    That may have been a sign of losing too much weight too quick, and it might also explain my current situation.
    Don't mind though.
    My plan is to stick with this a long time so I'm not so worried about yo-yoing.
    Not doing anything I can't stick with for a while.

This weekend sukked.
    Friday I blew out 2 tires and spent the day at the repair shop.
    Saturday was a friend's wedding, which meant way too much food & wine.
    Sunday was my wife's birthday, which again meant food and alcohol.
    Saturday's weigh in showed no change from the previous week.
    Think I just got discouraged this weekend.
    School's starting to stress me out because I haven't really gotten anything done.
    Need to get back on it this week.

Monday 10/3/2011
    So far, the week's not looking good.
    Was exhausted all day, almost passing out at my desk many times.
    Got stuck in traffic for almost an hour coming out of work, so I had to miss yoga.
    Came home and fell asleep for 2 hours.
    The last few days I've realized that I'm going to have to work harder at school.
    I hate to do this, because it sets a bad precedent, but no working out until I finish my Integration Paper.
    It's my last class, my last solo paper, and it's keeping me from contributing on my group project - so I've really gotta knock it out asap.
    If this thing's not looming over my head, I think I'll be able to concentrate better.
    Already spent the last hour writing.

last night at 11, teacher sent out new grading rubric for the paper, less than a week before it's due.
    had to scrap all of my content and start from scratch, if i work until late every night I *might* be able to finish.
    man i hate school.

Tuesday 10/11/2011
    After over a week off from the gym and a 4 day bender, I finally got back on the saddle tonight. Wrapped up my project at 10pm last night, but didnt' get to bed till late.
    I stuck with the plan today and went to muay thai, even though i was a bit sleepy.
    I'm glad I went, I got more energy when I was there.
    Thankfully, it was a slow day, so I could work on my own stuff.

jump rope 5 rounds, 3 min each, pushups & abs during each 1 min rest
    shadow 3 rounds, 3 min each
    heavybag 5 rounds, 3 min each, 10 squat-kicks each leg during each 1 min rest
    skip knees 1 round on heavybag
    shadow 3 rounds, 3 min each, (5 jumping jacks - 1 burpee) x 5 during each 1 min rest
    24 taiji for one set
    shin conditioning on hard bag - somewhere between 50 and 100 kicks, wasn't really counting
    stretching static & ballistic

got back on the diet horse today as well; ate very clean.

Wed 10/12/2011
    kinda freaking out tonight

there are 2 deliverables for my final (capstone) class:
    1. Exit portfolio - 5 old papers in modified APA format, 1 new paper that sums up our whole experience in the program
    2. Group project - my team is 5 people who work in medical field and me. they decided to go for making an assisted living facility. i couldn't care less.

I finished the Exit portfolio monday night at 10pm
    I've been putting off work on the group project till i finished the exit portfolio.
    Last night I finally got around to the 70+ emails my group has sent out on the group project.
    I think I'm realizing exactly how far behind I am.
    Freaking out about it a bit.
    My group's expecting deliverables from me on the project this saturday and I haven't even really started.

I have no interest in the project and don't feel like I have anything of value to contribute- it's just not my field of expertise.

I'm running into the same old situation I've had since I started this degree: focusing on anything more than school at the same time is very difficult.

The reality of the situation sunk in today at work around 3pm and I'm feeling overwhelmed.
    Before last week, I basically just worked out; making exercise & diet my priorities, and getting around to school work on the weekends.
    It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do that anymore.

Tonight, I skipped the gym.
    I know it's because I wussed out.
    I just can't afford to be too tired when I come home to work on the project.
    It's an excuse, not a valid reason, but for some reason I can't bring myself to care.
    After spending over an hour stuck in traffic tonight on my way home, I don't care much about my diet either.

I'm going to have to take baby steps to get back on track.
    I may not even get back on track until 2 months from now when the class is over.
    Bottom line, I know I'm falling off tonight and I'm writing about it as a method of keeping accountability for myself - so I can look at this later and not let it happen again.

I need to find a way to do something as far as diet and working out now that school is really taking over.
    Need to get back on track with the diet and keep the working out to 2 or 3 times a week.
    Will have to scale things back a bit.
    More importantly, I need to find my motivation and learn how to balance everything.