Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Pork Chop's latest workout blog

Saturday 2/25/2012
    As usual on Saturdays, after it was over, I'm glad I went today.

Coach was there, the personal life drama that's plagued him the last decade is going to come to a head on Monday. There was some really good news this past week and he's feeling positive that Monday's going to go his way.

Also, my old workout partner was there - one of my all time favorite guys to work with. Funny that my 2 favorite workout partners are also the 2 guys who have broken my ribs, but those 3 incidents don't mean much against a long history of great workouts.

We did freestyle pad work - lots of back and forth, with offense and defense.
    It kinda ends up like sparring, but the one hitting can go harder without either partner worrying too much about getting hurt. In other words, it's probably my favorite thing to do. I burnt him after 3 rounds. I went 6 with no rest round between the last 2. I guess he was taking it easy on me, some of it was hard. It's weird, when I have to worry about getting hit, I don't get as tired - it's interesting, so my brain stays engaged & time just flies by.

Finished up with a good 5 rounds on the heavybag.

Afterwards, we had a nice long round table on sparring - me, my partner, and the noob who had the incident last week. The topic of the incident last week came up and I expressed some concerns about the other guy involved that my workout partner kind of confirmed. Overall, we agreed on 3 points:
    1. Sparring needs to be constructive - there needs to be a progression, you don't just throw people to the wolves, and you don't spar to brawl. You do it to reinforce the application of your technique.
    2. You can't learn to fight with techniques without hard sparring - you can learn technique & train on bags all day, but in the end, in order to learn fighting you have to do it (as safely as possible).
    3. There's no place for ego or bad blood in the gym. You save that stuff for people outside your gym. You shouldn't lose your temper while you fight, but you really shouldn't abuse your teammates. You both need to be working towards the common goal of making both partners better.

Was the talk revolutionary? No, not really. But I can look at each team mate on an individual basis. If there's nobody good for me to work with, then I'll have to accept that. There are a few people that could be good to work with, but I'll have to either build up a better partner relationship with them or build up their skills first.

I hate having anxiety on Saturday mornings before going to work out. I want it to be fun. I'm trying to make it fun. It's a lot of fun when I've got people I enjoy working with. When I don't think any of my preferred partners are going to be there, it's a bit like going to the dentist. I'm trying to change that.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Monday 2/27/2012
    Yoga + weights today

Yoga was relaxing.
    Sweat a little at one point; but in general it was just a good stretch - not as rigorous as it has been in weeks past.
    Worked on opening the 5 chakras (yeah that sounds new agey): the root, the perenium, the heart, the 3rd eye, and the top of the skull - with a couple stretches for each.

Strength training:
    Deadlift 225lbs x 5reps x 3sets. Pretty easy.

power clean with 135 was easy too

Squat 185lbs x 5reps x 3sets. ATG. Pretty easy. Did a couple extra reps on the last set.

Overhead press 115lbs x 5reps x 3sets. Got tired in between sets on this one. Last set was pretty hard - was using a slightly wider grip. Was sweating good by the end.

Assisted chinups 60lb assist x 5reps x 3sets. This didn't feel like anything. Knocked it out pretty quick.

I might want to move up weights again the week after next.
    If Friday goes real easy, I may even increase next week.

Called my workout buddy after I finished.
    Initial word is that coach was able to resolve all his personal stuff today.
    Supposed to have some kind of get together tomorrow.
    Will try to stop by for 30 min.

First day on the diet went well. Haven't really talked about it before, because I wanted to see how it went first. There have been other diets that I've tried (meal replacement shakes, juicing, etc) that I wasn't even able to last one day.

This really doesn't feel like a diet. I order 1 week's worth of food that I pick up in 2 separate shipments. The food is prepared the day I pick it up and lasts in the fridge for a few days until I eat it all.

The owner is a trained chef and they have a dietitian on staff. The food is all organic, and a lot of the dishes are compatible with different diet plans like paleo, low carb, vegetarian, and gluten free.

All I know is that it tastes real good and I don't feel like I'm starving. I got a bit hungry around 3 or 4. If it happens tomorrow, I may snack on fruit and/or a fiber bar in that case, because the total calorie count is still pretty low.

I'm excited.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Tuesday 2/28/2012
    Cardio bag day at the Krav gym.
    I didn't think the class was all that hard until I got to a particular section about halfway through:
    30 seconds punching squats
    30 seconds jump punching squats
    30 seconds punching burpees
    After that, everything was a struggle.
    The burnout round was 3 minutes straight, so I paced myself a bit more than when we do 3 x 1 minute rounds. Was nauseous afterwards.
    I guess it was a good workout; but in the back of my mind I wondered if I was gassing quick because of the diet.
    Sweat through all my clothes, so at least I know I got it in.

Afterwards, I went to the muay thai gym to congratulate the coach on clearing up his issue. I was on the phone with illusionfist out front of the gym for a while; but eventually made it in. Saw some guys I hadn't seen in a LONG time. Gym should start picking back up soon.

Wednesday 2/29/2012
    Kinda playing hooky tonight.
    Was supposed to go help my friend get ready for his fight in Vegas.
    I drove all the way to his gym (45 min) and got there over an hour before their classes start (which I guess is when the gym opens).
    I waited around for around 15~20 minutes, nobody showed up to open the gym early.

Eventually I was more bored, sleepy, and hungry than I was motivated to work out, so I gave up and drove home.
    Feel a little bad, but he wasn't really expecting me - I'd already cancelled over the weekend, but my plans had changed last minute so I tried to make it anyway.

I don't think I ate enough today.
    I was spacey and a little dizzy driving over to my friend's gym.

I've been refreshing & relearning the Hung Gar form Gung Ji Fuk Fu for about the last week. I'm going to work on that a bit tonight. I've been thinking that I'll do that instead of taiji for internal/breathing work. Maybe I'll do them both, I don't know.

Going to sneak in a lifting session before picking my kid up from daycare tomorrow.
    Friday I'll try to make up the muay thai workout.

Thursday 3/1/2012
    Jetted out of work about 20 min early to sneak in a workout before I had to pick up my kid from daycare.

2 guys in a row were using the squat rack for bicep curls and I didn't want to interrupt them, so I did my workout in reverse.

assisted chinup: 60lb assist x 5reps x 3sets - last set was kind of hard. I was in a bit of a rush and not really resting between sets.

standing overhead press: 55lb dumbells x 5reps x 3sets - This was pretty hard. Tried 60lbers first for a rep and didn't feel in control of it - didn't quite get the left one to the top, but didn't really buckle down on it either. 55lbers was still very tough. My shoulders & neck feel all weird - like they're going to hurt tomorrow. I think I prefer the stability of the barbell. Seems kind of easy to get injured.

deadlift: 225lbs x 5reps x 3sets - This wasn't bad. I think it may have been too easy because I wasn't paying attention to form as well as I should. Yes, I know that sounds backwards, but it wasn't much of a strain.

squat: 185lbs x 5reps x 3sets - Started to get a little winded at the end, but this wasn't too difficult either.

picked up my second batch of food to see me through the week. can't wait to weigh in on sunday to see how this week went.

gonna try to do some forms tonight.
    trying to schedule a workout sometime this weekend with Water Dragon and some other kung fu folks.

Without warning, they dropped my meals from 500~600 calories (kcals) per meal to 400~480. Today it hit me HARD. Was hurting at work, had less than 900 by the end of the day. Heart was racing just walking up the stairs. Drive home was a fight to stay conscious. Passed out for a couple hours when i got home. Dinner was supposed to be 440, but added a couple Grands biscuits (170 calories each) to beef it up a bit and I still don't feel quite right.

I'm going to have to beef up the calories somehow. Hate having to spend extra money, but I'm going to need to add fruits & veggies to snack on - plus maybe a FiberOne bar. Too much lower than 1800 calories a day is rough on me right now.

Saturday 3/3/2012
    I'm going to be conservative and say I worked out for 3 hours today, but I started working out at 11:30 and didn't leave the parking lot til at least 3:30.

Muay thai was brutal.
    the worst part was:
    1 round pad work, clinch sparring on the 1 minute "rest" rounds, then a full 3 min of rest, while the other guy hit pads, before jumping back to clinch with the guy who just finished. rinse, repeat for five rounds apiece. coach was trying to kill us, so it was bad.

worked with water dragon from about 2:30 or 2:45 on.
    not super high intensity, but by that point I could barely move.

cheated and snuck a peak at the scale after my workout: 230.
    that's 5 pounds lower than my last "dry" weigh in, and 9 pounds lower than my last actual weigh in a week ago. pretty good for one week.
    Just gotta stay consistent. Whether I break under 220 in April, May, or June -it's going to happen. Pretty confident that I'll break under 200 this year.

Monday 3/5/2012
    Yoga & weights.

Yoga class was great. The workout focused on flexibility (as opposed to breathing or static poses). Got a really good stretch.

Weights.
    My teammate & personal trainer friend Ray came up to me after my first set to tweak my workout. I'd asked him to a week ago via email and he's been working on it. Small tweak made a huge difference. He wanted me to do 10 reps of a speed/explosive motion after every heavy set.

Squat - Jumping Squat 185lbs x 5reps x 3sets; 10 bodyweight jumping squats after each set. Got a freebie first set in there so it was really 4 sets of weighted squats. Was doing "knees-to-chest" type jumps, will probably just do normal squat jumps next time. Exhausting.

Overhead Press - Jumping pushups 115lbs x 5reps x 3sets; 10 jumping pushups after each set. Jumping pushups = clapping pushups without the clap. By the second set I couldn't do any more jumping pushups normally, so I went to my knees. The third set I just did 10 pushups for speed. I may do the 10 pushups for speed until they become easy. Again, very tiring.

Deadlift - 2 handed swing 225lbs x 5reps x 3sets; 10 kbell-type swings with 25lb plate. Might use an actual kettlebell next time.

135lb powerclean went well.

Assisted chinups 60lb assist x 5reps x 3sets; dropped the weight and cranked out 10 reps as fast as possible (160lb assist, 120lb assist, 100lb assist). Final speed set was maybe too little of an assist.

I was soaked by the end of the workout and felt ready to fall out on the way home.
    Slept pretty well last night. Don't feel sore today....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Monday 3/5/2012
    Yoga & weights.

Yoga class was great. The workout focused on flexibility (as opposed to breathing or static poses). Got a really good stretch.

Weights.
    My teammate & personal trainer friend Ray came up to me after my first set to tweak my workout. I'd asked him to a week ago via email and he's been working on it. Small tweak made a huge difference. He wanted me to do 10 reps of a speed/explosive motion after every heavy set.

Squat - Jumping Squat 185lbs x 5reps x 3sets; 10 bodyweight jumping squats after each set. Got a freebie first set in there so it was really 4 sets of weighted squats. Was doing "knees-to-chest" type jumps, will probably just do normal squat jumps next time. Exhausting.

Overhead Press - Jumping pushups 115lbs x 5reps x 3sets; 10 jumping pushups after each set. Jumping pushups = clapping pushups without the clap. By the second set I couldn't do any more jumping pushups normally, so I went to my knees. The third set I just did 10 pushups for speed. I may do the 10 pushups for speed until they become easy. Again, very tiring.

Deadlift - 2 handed swing 225lbs x 5reps x 3sets; 10 kbell-type swings with 25lb plate. Might use an actual kettlebell next time.

135lb powerclean went well.

Assisted chinups 60lb assist x 5reps x 3sets; dropped the weight and cranked out 10 reps as fast as possible (160lb assist, 120lb assist, 100lb assist). Final speed set was maybe too little of an assist.

I was soaked by the end of the workout and felt ready to fall out on the way home.
    Slept pretty well last night. Don't feel sore today....yet.
    Looking at the numbers, your overhead press seems a bit high compared to the other stuff, or the other stuff a bit low...
    Good routine !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Looking at the numbers, your overhead press seems a bit high compared to the other stuff, or the other stuff a bit low...
    Good routine !
    Thanks
    Yeah, I should probably be deadlifthing 275~315 and squatting at least 225.
    I progress slowly with squat because I've had balance issues in the past.
    I don't really have an excuse for the deadlift other than not wanting to hurt my dainty hands.
    Mostly I've been trying to avoid DOMS & not being able to walk for days.
    With chin ups, I just plain suck.

Still though, as a portion of bodyweight, overhead press is the lowest percentage.
    230lbs/2 = 115lbs = 50% bodyweight for overhead press.
    Even with the 60lb assist, I'm still doing a 170lb chin up.

Going to do 1 more workout at current weights and bump up 3 of the 4 next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Thanks
    Yeah, I should probably be deadlifthing 275~315 and squatting at least 225.
    I progress slowly with squat because I've had balance issues in the past.
    I don't really have an excuse for the deadlift other than not wanting to hurt my dainty hands.
    Mostly I've been trying to avoid DOMS & not being able to walk for days.
    With chin ups, I just plain suck.

Still though, as a portion of bodyweight, overhead press is the lowest percentage.
    230lbs/2 = 115lbs = 50% bodyweight for overhead press.
    Even with the 60lb assist, I'm still doing a 170lb chin up.

Going to do 1 more workout at current weights and bump up 3 of the 4 next week.
    Pansy.
    Don't worry about going to "low" on the weights of the OH press, your shoulders are far more fragile than your knees (squats) and lower back ( DL).
    I probably am far more cautious about shoulder exercises than any other bodypart.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Pansy.
    Don't worry about going to "low" on the weights of the OH press, your shoulders are far more fragile than your knees (squats) and lower back ( DL).
    I probably am far more cautious about shoulder exercises than any other bodypart.
    I hear you. Overhead press with dumbbells last week scared the cr@p out of me - felt like my shoulder slid out of socket at one point. 115 feels good and I'll probably stay there until it gets easy.
    Of course, it would be nice to do hanging clean & press with 135 some day, but no rush.

Hurt my neck last summer doing squats because of poor bar placement.
    Also a little worried about bending over coming out of the bottom of the squat.
    I've been experimenting with different bar placement, but I should probably buy my own manta ray to help.
    I've been working a lot on form this time around, but it's still not quite "automatic" yet.
    That being said, I'm pretty confident that 225 will not be a problem and 275 is probably even doable.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 03-06-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Tuesday 3/6/2012
    Cardio bag.
    Tonight was proof that even a cr@ppy class can be a good workout.

My biggest beef with the cardio bag class is that some of the instructors call for BS combos, or a speed that causes a complete and total breakdown of proper form.
    Tonight was a textbook example of that, for almost the entire class.
    For example, one of the combos was jab - step out with a cross to the body - double cross up top. Of course she didn't give time to reset for any of the crosses, so it just became slop for most folks.
    I did my best to keep it somewhat realistic.

I think she deliberately burned out the legs to make up for the lackluster class.
    For about 5 minutes we alternated between:
    bodweight squat, horse stance, (lower) half squat, squat knees
    must've done well over 100 bodyweight squats.
    Finished up with core work instead of the crazy burnout rounds.
    Still managed to sweat completely through my shirt.

I've been concerned that 1 day is not enough skill work; and with no wednesday muay thai this week and last week, I wanted to sneak in a second muay thai workout. I was thinking tonight I'd shoot over to the gym for about 5 to 7 rounds on the bag after class, to work on my kicks.
    Unfortunately, I just didn't have anything left after class.
    Didn't help that I was stiff going into the class.
    Top of my left shoulder's sore.
    I'm just going to have to be patient and do what I can handle.

Thursday 3/8/2012
    Wednesday's function ran really long, I didn't get home til 1:30 in the morning.
    Working on less than 5 hours of sleep and having tweaked shoulders, I decided to just head home after work.
    Traffic was absolutely horrible and I realized that I'm in a town largely populated by sociopaths -willing to drive off the road just to cut ahead in traffic.
    "Seeing red" is putting it mildly. It kind of shook me up.
    I was also feeling pretty burned out on the diet - menu's not changing up as much as I thought.

I ended up doing an hour or 2 of gung ji fuk fu, slowly re-learning it.
    Funny enough, it made everything better.
    Broke a pretty good sweat too.
    Wasn't my weight routine, but at least it was something.

Friday 3/9/2012
    Almost didn't go workout tonight, the weather was terrible.
    My hate for the traffic was enough to get me to go.
    Pretty good workout.
    I'm able to work hard these days, just not for a very long time.
    An hour, maybe an hour and a half, and I'm done.

5 rounds of jump rope + calisthenics
    8 straight minutes of: 1 min kettlebell swings, 1 min slamball slams
    1 round regular shadowbox
    1 min of burpees (no rest before or after)
    8 straight minutes of weight vest shadowbox.
    1 more round regular shadowbox (no weight vest)
    1 round mixed heavybag
    4 rounds of heavybag, focusing on round kicks (1 round each leg low, 1 round each high)
    1 round mixed heavybag
    1 round boxing heavybag
    1 round pushkick on heavybag
    1 round mixed heavybag w/last minute skip knees

Last few rounds I had to sit down on rest rounds.
    My favorite heavybag (the hard one) finally broke in the last week, so they hung an old, red, title bag and I don't really like it.
    Felt like I was finishing early - I stopped earlier than most of the others, but I was probably doing a much more intense workout.