Thread: Stretching

Stretching

Are stretching machines worth purchasing?

danny from miami Guest
    no

Robinf Guest
    Instead of the machine, just go into a front split and relax, let gravity do the work, or get a training partner at school, or use the wall. You'll get results and you'll still have your money.

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Brian_CA Guest
    No, do yoga in addition to your martial training

Brian Monnier
    San Francisco, CA

Tiger Moon Guest

I would say so

I have one and i would say it worth it, because its alot tougher to try and have someone help you to stretch since you need to pretty much stretch every day or every other day, so it would be hard to have someone have to help you all the time, plus a stretch machine helps to keep you from injuring yourself, when you try and do it on your own with using something to hold your feet and pulling them yourself its really easy to pull something, plus the stretch machine makes your stetching more efficient. So i would say if you have the money, then its a cool thing to have.
    Good Luck, i gotta work on doing a split too, which im sure thats your goal too lol.
    Welp Peace

~~Tiger-Moon~~

MegaA Guest

no

machines don't work if you want to put the effort in yourself to do the actual exercises themselves. Save your money on the machines and do the stretching exercises taught by your instructor. I find that with self endurance and self discipline you can reach your goal. ;)

"The most beautiful thing is the mysterious, it is the source of all true art and science"
    Albert Einstein

Budokan Guest
    Do you think it's just as important to stretch after your workout, as well as before? Currently, I don't do this, well, not very much. What do you think?

K. Mark Hoover

Brian_CA Guest

A couple guidelines for stretching.

Hey guys,

I just saw this thread active and wanted to suggest to try the following. It comes from a Yoga background and I have found it very beneficial in my stretching routine.

1. Begin with some form of breathing. Either meditation or Pranayama.
    2. Stretch slowly and carefully, never strain.
    3. Focus on proper weight distribution, Alignment and regulated respiration.
    4. Stretch systemically, Have a good beginner routine.
    5. Don't bounce stretch.
    If you are working out of stretching, stretch 2 times. Once before and then after.

Before the workout, stretch lightly for about 15 minutes. Do not hold things as long.

After the workout, stretch deeply for about 30 minutes. Try and hold things a little longer.

Hope this helps.

Brian
    San Francisco, CA