Thread: Mugamoodi

Mugamoodi

Mugamoodi

An interesting martial arts movie. I think the wing chun crowd may like this a bit. It's got surprisingly decent action in it when you aren't really expecting much at all. Some funny scenes, and a lighthearted love story. If you are looking for a martial arts movie, that for no apparent reason, breaks out into a song and dance routine a few times, this is your movie! The lead female's musical routine is actually quite good. Heck all of them are done well.

Vaayamoodi Summa Iru Da Mugamoodi

I started watching this just out of curiosity, but before I knew it I couldn't turn it off.

As a side note; This movie was dedicated to Bruce Lee. So if you are a fan, you're bound by honor to check it out.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I started watching this on netflix a few days ago...

...but I wasn't getting any subtitles, so I gave up on it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...but I wasn't getting any subtitles, so I gave up on it.
    Oh that sucks. Give it another try, I watched it on netflix and had subtitles, so I'm wondering if they had an issue with the release that has since been resolved.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

How do you watch your netflix?

I stream through an AppleTV box, which cuts out the subtitles out on some films for some unknown reason.

I might just go for it without the subs. It's not like it'll be the first time for me for that. Words just get in the way...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Oh, that must be it. I either stream through xbox or on my android tablet. This movie does have non standard sub titles. All the way at the bottom with small text. About 5% of the movie is in english though! Lol

I gave it another try last night

I got as far as the first Bollywood dance, which was all drunk guys... and dwarves.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I got as far as the first Bollywood dance, which was all drunk guys... and dwarves.
    Hahahhahaha, when that scene hit I was like...what??!?!? But I got through it, and grudgingly I have to admit that they actually did a good job, even if that isn't your thing. There are a total I think of 3 musical numbers in that movie.

I gave it another try last night

I got as far as the second Bollywood dance, the cliched one that's in every Bollywood flick with the guy and gal dancing and singing on the flowered hillside.

Saw a few fight scenes. I will acknowledge that the fight choreography is better than most Bollywoods, but the dance numbers are weak so far. It's still not doing it for me, Lucas.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hahahha at least I was able to convince you to go that far. But mark my words, you will find a day when you are home ill or something with nothing going on and nothing new to watch and then you will finish that mugamoodi!!!

Kung Fu Cinema gave it a decent review

I didn't get as far as to when he donned the mask. Maybe I should give it another try, but I'm currently addicted to Homeland, so my Kung Fu film viewing is on hold until I finish season 1.

REVIEW: Mugamoodi (2012)
    By Albert Valentin

This Indian Tamil take on the costumed hero features some nifty fight choreography from Hong Kong legend Tony Leung Siu-Hung.

Anand (Jiiva) is a young martial artist whose family and friends christen him “Bruce Lee”. However, Lee spends his time with his friends and getting into fights. When one of his fights nearly gets him in trouble with the law, he gets the attention of Shakthi (Pooja Hegde), the daughter of the newly appointed police chief Gaurav (Nasser).

Meanwhile, a band of robbers have been causing chaos in town. When Lee is framed for shooting the chief, he also discovers his best friend murdered. With nowhere else to go, Lee decides to use his martial arts for good. With the support of his grandfather, Lee creates an outfit with mask and becomes known as Mugamoodi.

As Mugamoodi’s popularity soars, the robbers, who are revealed to be members of a martial arts school, are none too pleased. Lee learns a secret from his teacher Sifu Chandru (Selvaan) that connects him to the robbers. In order to stop the robbers once and for all, Lee must master a new style and soon finds himself the town’s only hope.

A near three hour film that combines action, comedy, and romance, it is interesting that the producers dedicated this film to Bruce Lee. Perhaps the two biggest influences with the film are two recent films connected with Lee. The most obvious is LEGEND OF THE FIST: THE RETURN OF CHEN ZHEN (2010) due to the protagonist being sma masked kung fu expert. The second is clearly IP MAN (2008), with Wing Chun being Lee’s main style and for the fact that Tony Leung Siu-Hung choreographed both that film and this film’s action sequences.

The action is well handled by Leung and his stunt team. Lead actor Jiiva may not be a trained martial artist but the hard work he had done training for the film pays off nicely as he looks quite good as a screen fighter. Despite some obvious wirework, the action is well done here, as mentioned, utilizing Wing Chun.

The film’s only and major flaw is the mandatory live story often played out in Indian cinema. Here, the chemistry between Lee and Shakthi not only drags at times, but seems somewhat non-existent. Even more, there doesn’t seem to be any real chemistry between the two. In this case, its best to use your fast forward button.

MUGAMOODI is a mixed bag. While it suffers from a virtually non-existent romance angle, the action sequences brings major redemption to the film. Worth a rental and an appreciation for the fast forward button through the “crappy” romance scenes.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It does get better when he gets his actual costume. He has two, one that he dons himself thats just thrown together, then one when he gets serious and his uncle that is a professional prop and costume maker hooks him up so he can get legit.

I got to the first costume

At this point, this film reminded me a lot of Mirageman. I started falling asleep. But I will try to get to the serious costume, just because you say it is worth it, Lucas... Soon come...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

lol Fight the good fight!!!