Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

guys anyone got info on any gung fu people in Kuala lumpur? personal exp would be great but any info is helpful i suppose.

that includes tai ji ... honestly and which im most interested in anyway
    Last edited by dragonfalls27; 08-29-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    hook up with Eric Ling. He has done extensive research on Gung-Fu in Malaysia.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfalls27 View Post
    guys anyone got info on any gung fu people in Kuala lumpur? personal exp would be great but any info is helpful i suppose.

If you want the real thing, then I would search for the Kwoon that teaches the lineage of Five Ancestor Fist as taught by the late Great Grand Master Chee Kim Thong - declared a "Living National Treasure of the Peoples Republic of China".

It should be easier to locate his school(s?) once you are in Malaysia as unfortunately I do not currently have any more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    If you want the real thing, then I would search for the Kwoon that teaches the lineage of Five Ancestor Fist as taught by the late Great Grand Master Chee Kim Thong
    Yes, try and locate somebody teaching "Wuzuquan/Ngo Cho Kun" from the "Chee Kim Thong Pugilistic & Health Society". Their website with address and email in sidebar can be found here:

http://cheekimthongmalaysia.blogspot.com/

You won't be sorry.

If you need more help, get in contact and I will try and get more information for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 五祖拳 View Post
    Yes, try and locate somebody teaching "Wuzuquan/Ngo Cho Kun" from the "Chee Kim Thong Pugilistic & Health Society". Their website with address and email in sidebar can be found here:

http://cheekimthongmalaysia.blogspot.com/

You won't be sorry.

If you need more help, get in contact and I will try and get more information for you.
    Thank you for posting this link.

We have a good teacher in England for this style I believe, but one issue may be that nobody ever completed the style under Chee Kim Thong
    When it does happen, it's fast and hard and over quick. Either I'm standing or he's standing. That's Real.
    nospam

You type because you have fingers. Not because you have logic.
    Phil Redmond

Quote Originally Posted by LSWCTN1 View Post
    We have a good teacher in England for this style I believe, but one issue may be that nobody ever completed the style under Chee Kim Thong
    Do you mean Sifu Yap Leong?

I believe that Chee Kim Thong's knowledge was so deep that the time span required to completly understand and master all aspects of his teachings was not available to most people, in a world where the general public have other responsibilities, such as work and family duties.

Of course, it is my understanding that the deeper aspects had everything to do with the INTERNALS!

However, I believe that the disciple that completed most of his teachings was one, Chan See Meng. There is a very interesting interview with him in English in the Kung fu Secrets Magazine issue that came out about years ago:

http://www.shaolinway.com/shaolinway/kfs3.htm

Personally speaking, I would rather study under one Chee Kim Thong's disciples, even if they had only completed most of the style, instead of a disciple from another lineage/style who had completed the whole of a given system.

The incredible thing about Great Grand Master Chee Kim Thong was the fact that he was also a master in other styles including Emperor Fist (Tai Cho)!
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 08-30-2011 at 03:56 AM.

There is Chen, Yang and Wu style in KL - which is your preference?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Thank you for posting this link.
    No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LSWCTN1 View Post
    I'm from England myself. There is also more than one good teacher in England, but I think you're referring to Han Shigong (Han Jin Yuan). It's also best not to speculate whether anybody ever completed or fully mastered a style - after all, who can complete or master any style? Kung fu is a lifelong learning process..
    Last edited by 五祖拳; 08-30-2011 at 05:55 AM.

howard, im interested in the best teacher if you would know that, if not i would say chen style i suppose

any more info please let me know id love to practice tai chi here

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Eric is in Singapore, but has many connects there (it's not far away from KL).

Shi Gao Can/Cen (other spellings etc.), taught at a temple in my neck of the woods in Singapore years ago, but then traveled north into Malaysia. He hung for a bit in Penang, but he might still have some offshoots there as well.

Honestly, there's a LOT of good TCMA there...But outside of the McDojo stuff, often you have to kinda be introduced. If you have the chance, I would suggest to start in Singapore. Everything's a lil more expensive there (when I was there it was 2x) than in MY, but it's a great place to start any journey in the area; making connections, learning & hearing stories etc. Of course SG has its own good and bad too.

And SG, in general, is going to be slightly..."more comfortable" for someone starting out in that region. It's a great springboard.

Good luck!
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Eric is in Singapore, but has many connects there (it's not far away from KL).

Shi Gao Can/Cen (other spellings etc.), taught at a temple in my neck of the woods in Singapore years ago, but then traveled north into Malaysia. He hung for a bit in Penang, but he might still have some offshoots there as well.

Honestly, there's a LOT of good TCMA there...But outside of the McDojo stuff, often you have to kinda be introduced. If you have the chance, I would suggest to start in Singapore. Everything's a lil more expensive there (when I was there it was 2x) than in MY, but it's a great place to start any journey in the area; making connections, learning & hearing stories etc. Of course SG has its own good and bad too.

And SG, in general, is going to be slightly..."more comfortable" for someone starting out in that region. It's a great springboard.

Good luck!
    Hello, a Singapore based kung fu brother of mine mentioned some years ago that most genuine kung fu schools on that island are closed door schools, specially as regards foreigners.

This was a while back and I don't know why but something tells me that he may have been referring to White Crane schools, but what he said could have been a reference to any genuine TCMA training.

May I ask if you experienced this during your time there?

well alot of the chinese associations here who do lion dance i know do gung fu, im just seeking info here from first hand experience anyone might have?

im also not exactly "new" to this area ive been here almost a year, ive been all over malaysia(and surrounding countries) besides borneo and ive been to singapore and will be returning in a couple weeks, ive no desire to live there as its boring and way to expensive and almost a clone copy of KL just not half as good food/entertainment/girls etc in short it sucks but... anyway

im curious about "howard" and his information on the tai chi here

im interested in the best teacher if you would know that, if not i would say chen style i suppose
    sorry not sure of best teacher as that is very subjective.

im also not exactly "new" to this area ive been here almost a year, ive been all over malaysia(and surrounding countries) besides borneo and ive been to singapore
    Then I guess you would know as examples the:
    KL Chen Style Taijiquan Association
    Malaysian Federation of Chen Style Taijiquan
    Most of the KL Chen style is from students of Zhu Tiancai ....thus should mention that in Singapore his son Zhu Xiangqian teaches there...

howard, thanks for the link, ill have a chinese friend of mine help me contact those guys