Thread: Good Sword to share

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post
    This is a very good sword in my collection that I like very much. Posting to share. The sword is well build, sturdy, good weight but you have to know how to hold a sword right to enjoy it. Many kungfu masters who hold a sword wrong like the typical wushu "hold by the guard" method will get your hands all scrached and bleeding for sure because that's not how you hold the sword right. Enjoy the sword photos!

This is sword no.1 Chun Gim.
    I must say, it's a very attractive cheap replica. Can you tell us, does it rattle at all when you shake it? If not, have you ever tried test-cutting with it?

Regarding the holding of a sword: both the "finger over guard" and "finger off guard" have been used in the past, depending on the swordsman's method.

"Finger over guard" allows the fingers to assist in cutting by creating a fulcrum/functional pivot when the fingers squeeze the guard. I've seen methods that use either single-finger or double-finger grips over the guard.

Here is a close-up of a Yuan Dynasty painting where the swordsman is holding his sword with a double-finger grip over the guard.
    Last edited by Xiao3 Meng4; 08-25-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero