Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What TCMA skills/techniques can we just do away with?

What TCMA skills/techniques can we just do away with?

What have you completely thrown out of your catalog?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

honestly - Lion Dancing.

Any technique done in contemporary wushu. Anything to do with hitting pressure points or dim mak. Any technique claiming to stop the heart, cause internal bleeding or shatter bone into a million pieces.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Techniques we can do away with:

The techniques that leave the arm extended after a punch.

5-hit combos that you perform on your opponent while is arm his extended after a punch.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I have personally done away with using any form of striking stationary stakes like they do in ba gua or like when Jet Li was hitting all those balls away doing tai chi. I have done away with using any form of wooden dummy because practicing your footwork on something stationary is pointless when your opponents move around.

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    I have personally done away with using any form of striking stationary stakes like they do in ba gua or like when Jet Li was hitting all those balls away doing tai chi. I have done away with using any form of wooden dummy because practicing your footwork on something stationary is pointless when your opponents move around.
    Well, hitting a stationary object like a makiwara or a post like they do in baji, has more to do with "forging" than "footwork".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    honestly - Lion Dancing.
    why did you give up lion dancing?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Well, hitting a stationary object like a makiwara or a post like they do in baji, has more to do with "forging" than "footwork".
    Very true. I was talking about from a footwork point of view and not a conditioning one.

I was told once that you strike a bunch of posts and keep moving because this symbolizes fighting multiple opponents. This is the kind of stuff I get rid of in my training. If you say it makes your hands harder fine but do not say this will prepare you in case of a massive jailbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    What have you completely thrown out of your catalog?
    anything where the hand goes to far above the head and jumps...i practice xing yi, and in the dragon movement there is a jump...i got rid of it..

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    Very true. I was talking about from a footwork point of view and not a conditioning one.

I was told once that you strike a bunch of posts and keep moving because this symbolizes fighting multiple opponents. This is the kind of stuff I get rid of in my training. If you say it makes your hands harder fine but do not say this will prepare you in case of a massive jailbreak.
    Ah, thank you, understood.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

There is a technique I was taught, a circular scissors like block followed with an upward swing under the armpit, kinda like chyun pow, but instead of uppper cut at the end was more of an upward swinging forearm/longarm, that, for one application, was intended to disrupt/dislocate another person's shoulder. It seems like it could never work to me, at least with any practical efficiency. Although I practice the movement in form, I have more or less thrown that out of anything I want to draw from.

Masterkiller loves butterfly palms!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    why did you give up lion dancing?
    haven't - I find it fun, so I do it when I can. I'm one of the few that do MA to have fun. But, if you're looking for something to cut out for a pure MA experience... it'd probably be Lion Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    honestly - Lion Dancing.
    we got more real fight experience from lion dancing downtown on chinese new years against other schools than we got all year at cr@ppy tournaments
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I think I can live without the butterfly kick.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.