Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Sword to share

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post

Back in the old days, Zhuge Liang was famous for his calculation in wealther and all that using Taoist astronomical study to win wars and do his strategy too, did he just knock Suen Ji over?

You do realize that Zhuge Liang's magical exploits were a work of fiction right?

You... do... understand the difference between fiction and history as it applies to Sanguo Yanyi and Sanguo Zhi right?

I sincerely hope so - though I fear you may not.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    You do realize that Zhuge Liang's magical exploits were a work of fiction right?

You... do... understand the difference between fiction and history as it applies to Sanguo Yanyi and Sanguo Zhi right?

I sincerely hope so - though I fear you may not.
    I am not talking about the magic part, I am talking about his bing faat and his calculation method used. If you ever saw the bing faat of zhuge lian, you will know what I am talking about. Of course I can tell the difference between the fiction and real deal. I am not crazy.

Just read the bing faat of his and you will know. There are books called 諸葛亮兵法 too. Read and you will know what I am talking about. his style is very different from Sun Ji, but agian, I am not going to cite anything, too busy for that.

*In zhuge liang time, he really did use calculation for his war, 術數 being you can find it now too! Also, you might heard of 奇門遁甲, it is a calculation he use for war too. Don't miss out all that good stuff.
    Last edited by CYMac; 08-29-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Chi in Nature - My Taoism Temple Website
    Taoist Master BLOG - my blog

My Kungfu Channel on Youtube

I am not talking about the magic part, I am talking about his bing faat and his calculation method used. If you ever saw the bing faat of zhuge lian, you will know what I am talking about. Of course I can tell the difference between the fiction and real deal. I am not crazy.

Just read the bing faat of his and you will know. There are books called 諸葛亮兵法 too. Read and you will know what I am talking about. his style is very different from Sun Ji, but agian, I am not going to cite anything, too busy for that.

*In zhuge liang time, he really did use calculation for his war, 術數 being you can find it now too! Also, you might heard of 奇門遁甲, it is a calculation he use for war too. Don't miss out all that good stuff.
    Based on your references you DON'T know the difference between fiction and history.

Also it seems more that you received your Taoist lineage from Jin Yong than any sort of deity...

Although to be fair, Jin Yong is basically the god of wuxia.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Based on your references you DON'T know the difference between fiction and history.

Also it seems more that you received your Taoist lineage from Jin Yong than any sort of deity...

Although to be fair, Jin Yong is basically the god of wuxia.
    Not really You have to know and accept the fact that there are so many wise one like zhugelian also study in 奇門 which is a way to calculate and forecast things too. Just like people use i-ching in the past as well. It's not anything superstitious, it's astronomical study. Magic is also like that too. Just that those who are flooded with too much harry potter thinks magic is superstitious because they don't get it.

Actually, if you actually know what magic in Taoism is, it is also very closely related to the astronomical study as well. They all interact with the 術數 too.

Just that you don't see the real magic doesn't means it is not there. So please, be open minded. You need to read about the wise sages and strategist more, not me.
    Last edited by CYMac; 08-29-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

CYMAC:

I look forward to your reply concerning Sun Si Miao's refusal to include Demonology in the criteria for great physicians and his statement that such knowledge is not divinely acquired.

I look forward to your reply concerning Hsu Ch'un Fu's criticism of Wu-Yi(巫医); and the dismissal of the Fu Lu Pai (符簶派) from the official State Religions after the fall of the Northern Song Dynasty.

Furthermore, Zhuge Liang's "The Way of the General" in "Mastering the Art of War" states:

"Chasing Evils

There are five types of harm in decadence among national armed forces.

First is the formation of factions that band together for character assassination, criticizing and vilifying the wise and good.

Second is luxury in uniforms.

Third is wild tales and confabulations about the supernatural.

Fourth is judgement based on private views, mobilizing groups for personal reasons.

Fifth is making secret alliances with enemies, watching for where the advantage may lie." -Cleary

Once again: since this is a martial arts forum, the long-discredited practice of demonology and exorcism is out of place. Even within a medical context, Sun Si Miao's and Hsu Ch'un Fu's admonitions are but few of many criticisms. For example:

"If someone wears a black coat or a yellow cap, he is immediately called a Buddhist or a Taoist priest. ... Whoever has no understanding of Yin and Yang, and meddles with symptoms of excess and deficiency without knowing about them, whoever is endowed with a careless mind and the nature of a daredevil, hides in a cave and is one-sided and common, will certainly not only fail to accomplish anything good, but on the very contrary he will cause harm [wherever he practices.] Such people do not even reach the level of those who use pepper, sulphur, onions and shallots, not to mention that they deserve the designation "petty teaching" for their activity."
    -The complete works of Zhang Jing Yue (JingYue QuanShu), by Zhang Jie Bin, styled Jing-Yue, 1563-1640AD -Unschuld

Or

"Those, however, who surrender to fashionable trends, do not carry out their practice conscientiously. They place themselves in the greatest light and make use of the need of others in order to appropriate their material goods to themselves. They are not concerned about the lives of men, but have only their own profit in mind. As far as the plan for their physical well-being, they may be successful with this conduct." - Warnings for Physicians (in the Ku-Chin-Yi-Chi), Hsuai Yuan (~1808AD) -Unschuld

Or again, from the "Basic Training" of Taoism, verse 63:

為無為,事無事,味無味。大小多少,報怨以德。圖難於其易,為大於其細;天下難事,必作於易,天下大事,必 作於細。是以聖人終不為大,故能成其大。夫輕諾必寡信,多易必多難。是以聖人猶難之,故終無難 矣。

"He who lightly promises is sure to keep but little faith; he who is continually thinking things easy is sure to find them difficult. Therefore the sage sees difficulty even in what seems easy, and so never has any difficulties." -Legge

"...
    Beware those who promise a quick and easy way
    For much ease brings many difficulties
    ..." -Star

You promise people a quick and easy way out of their problems - they just have to buy your talismans (which EXPIRE, to boot!) or subject themselves to an exorcism. In no way does this address the root of their problems, and in no way is this in accordance with 德 or inner alchemy. In short, you dress up as a Taoist and sell "Get out of hell free" cards without guiding people back to their 原 精神.

Basic Training Fail.

Again, I would appreciate it if anyone could post the Chinese for the sections above.
    Last edited by Xiao3 Meng4; 08-29-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

I am not crazy.
    No, no, of course you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    CYMAC:

I lookYou promise people a quick and easy way out of their problems - they just have to buy your talismans (which EXPIRE, to boot!) or subject themselves to an exorcism. In no way does this address the root of their problems, and in no way is this in accordance with 德 or inner alchemy. In short, you dress up as a Taoist and sell "Get out of hell free" cards without guiding people back to their 原 精神.

Basic Training Fail.

Again, I would appreciate it if anyone could post the Chinese for the sections above.
    Wait a sec.. this is a martial art forum and this thread is about swords, but you are the one who raised the point and started all these long talk. Maybe I should take the first step to step out of this discussion with you and go back to swords posting?

Also, my way is not "quick easy way out" to fix problems for people, it's because we have the wisdom to understand how things works and how the problem is caused and so we know how to fix it. You are not understanding a single cent of exorcism there if you can say such things. you are not even into the door of Taoism magic also because you can say such things.

I don't see a point to talk because I am not here to convert you or anything. So I should stay away from this talk with exorcism here and go back to swords. Keep in mind that I am not here to convince anybody or convert anybody, so you can keep your own belief and I can keep mine. But if you want to talk exorcism in Taoism, I am saying a NO to your understanding.

If you can say such things, go overthrown medics too then. They found too many quick easy fix for health problems including advil and other medicine we can buy for a cheap price in drug marts. WE should all go cough for years and try to heal it naturally without eating a pill. Great, that's wisdom in your dictionary? Then so be it. I won't stop you from it. But in Taoism exorcism, we learn to study and undersdtand about how spiritual illness is cause, we learn to diagnose it and cure it for people, no different compare to TCM or chi gung healers. If you can quote such things, sorry, you don't get what exorcism is by the beginning and so there is no point to talk anymore.

Bye. Not going to go on with this anymore since it is way too off topic. I apologize that I responded at first to get so off topic too.

---
    Back to swords!

Here is a pair of small long chuen sword pair, quite cute! only about 10 inches long blade!

Wait a sec.. this is a martial art forum and this thread is about swords, but you are the one who raised the point and started all these long talk. Maybe I should take the first step to step out of this discussion with you and go back to swords posting?
    Oh, I see... your dozen or so posts trying to convince people that you're a sorcerer are ok, but when I make 2 posts refuting your claims via classical sources AND reminding you that this is a martial arts forum, then I'M the one derailing the thread. Gotcha.

Also, my way is not "quick easy way out" to fix problems for people, it's because we have the wisdom to understand how things works and how the problem is caused and so we know how to fix it. You are not understanding a single cent of exorcism there if you can say such things. you are not even into the door of Taoism magic also because you can say such things.
    In other words, you can't refute my sources.

I don't see a point to talk because I am not here to convert you or anything. Keep in mind that I am not here to convince anybody or convert anybody
    Could've fooled me....

so you can keep your own belief and I can keep mine. But if you want to talk exorcism in Taoism, I am saying a NO to your understanding.
    In other words, everybody that disagrees with you is wrong.

If you can say such things, go overthrown medics too then. They found too many quick easy fix for health problems including advil and other medicine we can buy for a cheap price in drug marts.
    1. Even if you don't believe in drugs/herbs, THEY WILL ALWAYS WORK.
    2. Even if you believe in magic, IT WON'T ALWAYS WORK.
    3. Doctors are required to study ETHICS. Sorcerers are not.
    4. Doctors encourage patients to take control of their lives. Sorcerers encourage patients to hand over control of their lives.
    5. Medics didn't invent advil. WTF

WE should all go cough for years and try to heal it naturally without eating a pill. Great, that's wisdom in your dictionary?
    No, we should use medication in conjunction with lifestyle changes which encourage self-reliance through De (德) as opposed to putting our faith in sorcery.

Then so be it. I won't stop you from it. But in Taoism exorcism, we learn to study and undersdtand about how spiritual illness is cause, we learn to diagnose it and cure it for people, no different compare to TCM or chi gung healers.
    ...except you
    a) renounce the importance of De (德) in this process
    b) claim to have learned from a magic sky being - Something completely opposed by Sun Si Miao, arguably the greatest Taoist Doctor/exorcist of all time
    c) take a one-sided approach, as opposed to a multi-faceted one such as Chinese Medicine.

If you can quote such things, sorry, you don't get what exorcism is by the beginning and so there is no point to talk anymore.
    One word: Placebo.
    One Phrase: Timing is everything.

Thank you Xiao Meng, your argument was cogent and compelling.
    Thanks, SimonM. I appreciate the contribution of your versions of Sun Tzu's Nine grounds and Use of Spies, as well as your knowledge of Zhuge Liang.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    unfotunately, it will b completely disregarded by CYBigMac...

nice to have u back, XM...
    Nice to be back. Thanks.

---

SWORDS

A few different pics of the Qi Jian:
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Nice piece, Xiao3 Meng4

Is it yours?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Nice Piece, Is it yours?
    A lady said that to me once
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Is it yours?
    Check out the very end of post #145 Gene.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

XM,

You gotta realize that I ain't convincing anybody about I ama sorcerer, in fact, I am not even a sorcerer, I am a Taoist.

Also, What makes you think that I am trying to convince anybody? I am just posting to talk about swords and if you see that I said my swords are for magical rituals, then you got all spiked up and think I am trying to convince you? Sorry dude, no, you can be unconvinced as you are and I don't give a darm. Seriously I don't care who believe or who don't here, I know it is a kungfu forum, you think I am here to find believers? Don't be silly my friend, I am just posting swords to share as the post said!

I don't see a point to debate or argue with you since you don't even know what exorcism is in Taoism and from your "quotes" I can see your knowledgei is nothing but a book worm which don't even know what I am talking about when I talk about exorcism.. you are referring to magic more to harry potter style or superstistious style.

Let me tell you, magic don't need you to believe to work, it's just that for people don't believe, I won't MAKE IT WORK for them. That's it. So I just state, those who don't believe, it won't work. Also, why the hell on earth do I have to help people who don't believe or have faith in anyway, waste of time, they are not even wanting the help anyway, man. you use your logic please! Don't try to fantasize that I am trying to convert or convince you, no, I don't even care what you believe man, you can still believe in your own stuff and I don't care too. I am already laughing my head off when I see how you quote Art of War to me while you are trying to talk about Taoism and Taoism magic.. oh man.. please.. it's okay, I know some people will think you are cool because they do have similar background and knowledge. but it's not me. Too bad~

---------

By the way, the qi jian -- kinda different from what I see from online, did you do mods to the fittings to make it that way or something? how are you going to sharpen your sword anyway? what do you use to measure?

Stay OT - Post more sword pix here.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    A lady said that to me once
    That was no lady. That was bawang in a wig and stilettos.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Check out the very end of post #145 Gene.
    Roger that, thanks for the tip.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

another cool one, heavy dao, can be single or double handed. Love the weight as well, feels like a 6lb dao.

Also, What makes you think that I am trying to convince anybody?
    Number of CYMAC posts with sword pics: 17
    Number of CYMAC posts without swords, promoting his magical views and/or using straw men to derisively dismiss those who question his views: 17

I don't see a point to debate or argue with you since you don't even know what exorcism is in Taoism and from your "quotes" I can see your knowledgei is nothing but a book worm which don't even know what I am talking about when I talk about exorcism.. you are referring to magic more to harry potter style or superstistious style.
    Number of posts with swords AND using straw men arguments: 1

Let me tell you, magic don't need you to believe to work, it's just that for people don't believe, I won't MAKE IT WORK for them. That's it. So I just state, those who don't believe, it won't work. Also, why the hell on earth do I have to help people who don't believe or have faith in anyway

I am already laughing my head off when I see how you quote Art of War to me while you are trying to talk about Taoism and Taoism magic.. oh man.. please...
    You seem to have skipped over:
    The words of the Taoist exorcist Sun Si Miao (孫思邈)
    The comments of Zhuge Liang (諸葛亮)
    The shunning of the Fu Lu Pai (符簶派) 900 years ago
    The criticisms of Dr. Xu Chun Fu (徐春甫) and Dr. Chang Jing-Yue (张景岳)
    The Basic Training of the Dao De Jing (道德經).

By the way, the qi jian -- kinda different from what I see from online, did you do mods to the fittings to make it that way or something? how are you going to sharpen your sword anyway? what do you use to measure?
    I threaded a leather strap through the carrying rings - once through the bottom two, which are side-rings, so that the strap holds the weight of the scabbard (see the pic in post 145); and twice through the top rings, which are upper/lower rings, so that the strap enters through the top ring, has both ends wrap through the bottom ring and then re-emerge through the top ring so that it holds the weight of the scabbard and also allows me to make a beaded clasp (blue bead). The clasp holds the red-beaded lanyard securely in place, so that if the scabbard is tipped upside down, it won't fall out (examine the first pic in my last post, you'll see what I mean.) The two black beads (see post 145) are adjustable stoppers that allow the scabbard to hang from a string, ring or hook at any angle I choose.

As for sharpening, I recently discovered the accusharp tungsten carbide sharpening tool.

It's great! You can get a razor-sharp edge with it, and can buy a version of them at WalMart or Canadian Tire.

Here's a video showing some guy sharpening his sword with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgD6Ky7wlFQ

I wouldn't sharpen the entire length of a Jian like that, though. I sharpened 3 quarters of my Da Dao with it, the upper quarter of my Adam Hsu Jian, and will probably sharpen from the top of the fuller to the tip of the Qi Jian. To test sharpness, I'll use paper.

Here's my Adam Hsu Jian (which, btw, you can buy at MartialArtsMart!)

It's well made, has a sturdy yet somewhat flexible Diamond-shaped blade which whistles loudest when you make a proper cut, and not at all when you make a really improper cut. It lets me know where the force of my cut reaches its maximum - which, ideally, should be in or just beyond the target. The handle has grooves which give good proprioceptive feedback, letting me know how I'm holding the sword without having to look at it. I've sharpened it and done some test-cuts/thrusts. It feels light and nimble - it's currently the sword that I use most often and the sword that I would turn to in a time of need (although I'm REALLY starting to like the Qi Jian, even though it's heavier.)
    Last edited by Xiao3 Meng4; 08-31-2011 at 12:03 PM.