Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Good Sword to share

XM,

your Adam Hsu jian cleared my mind off! I have been looking at that before and thinking how it would be like and now that you shown me the details, i know it is not a jian I would like. The design is okay but kinda too "modern looking" and the sword seems way too light for my style and vibe and so I like mine more sturdy and heavy instead.

How is the qi-jian when you first got it? do you feel the weight is abit too much before when you first got it?

I know the accusharp method for swords too, but I am kind of thinking you would be the old fashion guy using a stone and oil. So I am just curious if you did those or not. Accusharp is good, just do the job right, haha! Just wondering will those kitchen knife sharpening machine (electric) works too?

---

For Taoism, I really see no point to talk about those with you since your translation are already very off and you don't even know what EXORCISM is about. What is the point? Let's just get back to swords or else you will be counting my post again. Here is one more! HAHA!

Another cool one that I use for my altar's primary sword. Again, it's heavier than normal ones, abuot 2.4lb bare sword. I just love these stuff that got some weight to them. Everything over 2.25lb is good to me. (for sword)
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Chi in Nature - My Taoism Temple Website
    Taoist Master BLOG - my blog

My Kungfu Channel on Youtube

sorry posted wrong pic before, this is the jian, that one is the ching dynasty style dao.
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

there is this wind/fashion/style of qin blowing in China.

qin feng.

Do all your marks -er- "clients" know that you spend all the money they pay you for exorcism on toys?

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post
    How is the qi-jian when you first got it? do you feel the weight is abit too much before when you first got it?
    The weight doesn't bother me, however the Point of Balance is significantly closer to the guard than any other sword I've owned so it handles a bit differently - I find it demands much more body movement for effective use.

I know the accusharp method for swords too, but I am kind of thinking you would be the old fashion guy using a stone and oil. So I am just curious if you did those or not. Accusharp is good, just do the job right, haha! Just wondering will those kitchen knife sharpening machine (electric) works too?
    Old fashioned? Me?

Function trumps form for me. If that's old fashioned, then so be it.

I Have a Butcher's stone and can get a decent edge however the accusharp delivers better and more consistent results in a MUCH shorter amount of time. - the only thing is that it creates a noticeable beveled edge, which some people may not like, but it doesn't bother me and with a little bit of careful work with the butcher's stone, the bevel can be reduced. I don't know about the electric sharpeners, I guess they would work.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Do all your marks -er- "clients" know that you spend all the money they pay you for exorcism on toys?
    He's doing better than me, I spend all my exorcism monies on hookers, jack daniels, and fine cuban cigars. not necessarily in that order.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    He's doing better than me, I spend all my exorcism monies on hookers, jack daniels, and fine cuban cigars. not necessarily in that order.
    Those are daily necessities, not toys.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Those are daily necessities, not toys.
    You, Sir, are a true gentleman of the highest calibre.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I would say the same of you, but your choice of bourbon is rather low brow... lol

woodford reserve if you must drink sour corn mash whisky...

Otherwise, what you really need to bring into your habits is a good Islay single malt scotch.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    The weight doesn't bother me, however the Point of Balance is significantly closer to the guard than any other sword I've owned so it handles a bit differently - I find it demands much more body movement for effective use.

Old fashioned? Me?

Function trumps form for me. If that's old fashioned, then so be it.

I Have a Butcher's stone and can get a decent edge however the accusharp delivers better and more consistent results in a MUCH shorter amount of time. - the only thing is that it creates a noticeable beveled edge, which some people may not like, but it doesn't bother me and with a little bit of careful work with the butcher's stone, the bevel can be reduced. I don't know about the electric sharpeners, I guess they would work.
    Thanks for the insight, I guess I will try the accusharp sometimes later on too since you already told me it is working nicely with yours. I bet it will be cool to try some blades iwth it too. Great photos with swords, keep it up~

Do you have a vid with you and your sword in action?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I would say the same of you, but your choice of bourbon is rather low brow... lol

woodford reserve if you must drink sour corn mash whisky...

Otherwise, what you really need to bring into your habits is a good Islay single malt scotch.
    lol touche! I will definately take your suggestions to heart and give it a shot! (pun intended)

I can see you are a scholar of high birth as well.

Game recognize Game.

Quite!

As such, wheretofore hereafter I shall henceforth seek refuge within my lodgings (her name is Crystal), warm myself by the hearth (A San Cristobal) while enjoying luxurious sustenance (grain alcohol).

Pay no attention to what that plebeian Davis Jørgensen says. Single Malt is for peasants.

Good day sir.

Here's my Adam Hsu Jian
    I just got the two handed version - it's a nice blade - light, well balanced - the handle is actually a bit longer than one might think it ought to be, but it actually works in terms of the overall balance and leverage - the cool thing about it is that u can use it single or double-handed without feeling like one is inferior to the other (I tried the single handed, which is ok, but I like the Han Wei Practical Jian better)

I'm REALLY starting to like the Qi Jian
    this is going to be my next acquisition; actually, Uki has one, and he really likes it as well;

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    I'll raise you a Heron Marked Blade

Btw, if you know what this sword is that makes you a geek.
    OOH! Really like dat !

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I just got the two handed version - it's a nice blade - light, well balanced - the handle is actually a bit longer than one might think it ought to be, but it actually works in terms of the overall balance and leverage - the cool thing about it is that u can use it single or double-handed without feeling like one is inferior to the other (I tried the single handed, which is ok, but I like the Han Wei Practical Jian better)
    Is the blade much wider/sturdier on the two-hander? Seems like a two-handed sword begs to slash big, meaty targets... while the one-handed Jian is really about thrusts to the body and slashes to the extremities.

this is going to be my next acquisition; actually, Uki has one, and he really likes it as well;
    Shop around, the price has come down considerably so don't be fooled by the CASIBERIA pricetag.

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post
    Do you have a vid with you and your sword in action?
    Yes, in a manner of speaking. I have some vid of me practicing my Wudang Tai Ji Jian form w/ the Hsu Jian and Scabbard, but it's really a work in progress. It's not awful, but on the whole, it needs to be faster, and some of my execution lacks proper Yi (it's easy to tell which techniques I know how to apply and which ones I'm still working on.) That was the POINT of the video though: to help me identify the rough spots from an outside perspective. Now I know what to pull out and drill more. I'm also hoping to film some partner work either tomorrow or this weekend, and will revisit the form in film about a month from now, for comparison; by then I should be using the Qi Jian (I like to use a "Chinatown Special" to break things down with power, refine it with my Hsu Jian, and make it work with the Qi Jian.)
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero