Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Sword to share

You may not think it's appropriate to test the efficacy of a weapon as a weapon but, then again, you never have to cut anything harder than your own imagination.

Suggesting that a person who specializes in swords knows less than you because they specialize in practical sword work, as opposed to LARPING about killing demons does nothing but alienate you from the other people you want to share with.

I thought it was funny, because I shared a story about a junk wall-hanger that I managed to destroy and then you posted a picture of the exact same junk wall-hanger.

But you just decided to get all insulting. And you call yourself a man of the cloth!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    You may not think it's appropriate to test the efficacy of a weapon as a weapon but, then again, you never have to cut anything harder than your own imagination.

Suggesting that a person who specializes in swords knows less than you because they specialize in practical sword work, as opposed to LARPING about killing demons does nothing but alienate you from the other people you want to share with.

I thought it was funny, because I shared a story about a junk wall-hanger that I managed to destroy and then you posted a picture of the exact same junk wall-hanger.

But you just decided to get all insulting. And you call yourself a man of the cloth!
    So where is the welded part to the tang in my photo? Did you really got ripped off or what? Please clarify
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Chi in Nature - My Taoism Temple Website
    Taoist Master BLOG - my blog

My Kungfu Channel on Youtube

I simply like swords, but the idea of one welded onto the tang is scary dangerous, even if just for a wall hanger, just because swords draw attention of people who like to practice with them.

That said, I think most martial artists being honest with themselves would say they own some weapons that are mediocre, but fine, and I'd suggest a period piece made out of steel when the period used bronze is superior to the weapons it is in mimicry of.

But, really, swords are neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    I simply like swords, but the idea of one welded onto the tang is scary dangerous, even if just for a wall hanger, just because swords draw attention of people who like to practice with them.

That said, I think most martial artists being honest with themselves would say they own some weapons that are mediocre, but fine, and I'd suggest a period piece made out of steel when the period used bronze is superior to the weapons it is in mimicry of.

But, really, swords are neat.
    Agreed, and I've had a few junk swords in my time. That was the second-worst.

The best, well, it's a toss-up between my Qing dynasty Damascus steel jian (best antique), my copper-inlaid plum flower dragon well sword with blackened steel fittings (most beautiful), and the spring and autumn greatsword (best bone-crushing power, most impressive cutting).

Only one of them is available from the forum sponsor, martialartsmart, but the others aren't available this side of the pacific at all, so the fact that even one is available does our sponsor great credit.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Agreed, and I've had a few junk swords in my time. That was the second-worst.

The best, well, it's a toss-up between my Qing dynasty Damascus steel jian (best antique), my copper-inlaid plum flower dragon well sword with blackened steel fittings (most beautiful), and the spring and autumn greatsword (best bone-crushing power, most impressive cutting).

Only one of them is available from the forum sponsor, martialartsmart, but the others aren't available this side of the pacific at all, so the fact that even one is available does our sponsor great credit.
    I'm jealos of you people with your swords. I have one at best mediocre baojian, a ninja sword I found in my garage, some boken, and practice swords I periodically make out of hickory.

Sadly most of my good swords are at the inlaws place in China. It's ok though, I trust them to take care of the blades for me until I can afford to get back for them.

(Stupid economy)
    Simon McNeil

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

*drool*

Got to hand it to CYMac, this thread is cool.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Found that in pile of fodder at a Sunday market in Bangkok for a few Bot (like $30 us)
    1800's loong chun
    I'm waiting for CYmac to post a picture of an actual sword instead of the Chinatown gift shop souvenirs
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 08-26-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    *drool*

Got to hand it to CYMac, this thread is cool.
    I'm with you.

Hey, on the topic of weapons, that pickle barrel armor you worked on, did you use a particular type of armor, like a historical model?

If that makes any sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Found that in pile of fodder at a Sunday market in Bangkok for a few Bot (like $30 us)
    1800's loong chun
    Nice.

Hey, you still coming to KC sometime? I noticed an old message I missed saying you were, hoping I didn't miss ya.

Oh, yeah, KC here, if you didn't know. Just don't tell Lucas.

Hey Lokhupkuen! That is a good sword, 杜丹劍~Peonies sword~

I have 3 just like that style, I say 80% alike! the blades are damascus folded steel instead, but it's very similar! Too bad those antiques stuff are all gone in 2007, but then my memories of them still exsist in my mind now! You just hook up all that good memories for me! Great pics!
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

This is another etched sword, pretty stylish even though I don't like the idea of etching but it is still cool with the nice handle. The sword is heavy and bulky size but it is great for some sword styles if you do things like xingyi or something this is way cool, gives you the feeling of military drills!

Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    did you use a particular type of armor, like a historical model?

If that makes any sense...
    17th-19th century samurai plate. Somewhat of a mixture. I was really following the plans my buddy drew up, he did all the research and development.

He even fashioned a chest out of Kozane style plates just to test the effectiveness against penetrating thrust or arrow type attack it was really good. due to the lacing and plate pattern you end up compressing the plates where ever the pressure is to be 2-3 plates worth of thickness. thats how you get those samurai with arrows bristling from their armor, they actually get caught by the kozane. but against blunt or length wise strikes it still smarts the ribs something fierce, plate ftw. We used a heat gun, leather gloves and a bucket of water to shape the 'plates' by hand.

Kozane:

DONT TELL ME WHAT?!?!
    Last edited by Lucas; 08-26-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    1800's loong chun
    I'm waiting for CYmac to post a picture of an actual sword instead of the Chinatown gift shop souvenirs
    holy flying fuc batman!!?>!?!