Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Sword to share

Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    Nice.

Hey, you still coming to KC sometime? I noticed an old message I missed saying you were, hoping I didn't miss ya.

Oh, yeah, KC here, if you didn't know. Just don't tell Lucas.
    BK??

I been n come back meng!
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    BK??
    Keerect.

I been n come back meng!
    Curses!

Great thread !

Hi CYMac,
    thats a good guess !, they are supposed to be two and a quarter each, but I will check them when I get a chance.
    Last year in Yongchun my shifu took me to a sword maker in the mountains and I watched him make some dao's for me. My hands, wrists, forearms were measured and they were made to fit... they're not the most beautiful dao's, but they really are a joy to use, and when I think of the sweat and hard work that guy went through for 200rmb...?!?!?
    After this I think I'll have to call them little sister and big sister now !.

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post
    Hey Lokhupkuen! That is a good sword, 杜丹劍~Peonies sword~

I have 3 just like that style, I say 80% alike! the blades are damascus folded steel instead, but it's very similar! Too bad those antiques stuff are all gone in 2007, but then my memories of them still exsist in my mind now! You just hook up all that good memories for me! Great pics!
    Thank you brother;
    I sacrificed so much learning and teaching martial arts in my life but for some kool karmic reason I find the coolest shizzle for cheep I recently sold some pieces that I didn't want to part with and still have a pretty sweet collection to practice and purr precious over.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    Keerect.

Curses!
    I'll be back brother. Tell Mike and the bros I say hello!
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by GETHIN View Post
    Hi CYMac,
    thats a good guess !, they are supposed to be two and a quarter each, but I will check them when I get a chance.
    Last year in Yongchun my shifu took me to a sword maker in the mountains and I watched him make some dao's for me. My hands, wrists, forearms were measured and they were made to fit... they're not the most beautiful dao's, but they really are a joy to use, and when I think of the sweat and hard work that guy went through for 200rmb...?!?!?
    call your main hand big sister! since it gets more power and precision hehe
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GETHIN View Post
    Hi CYMac,
    Thank you for sharing very nice.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Hi GETHIN... wow, that's very nice! 200rmb.. labor really worth nothing in china..! Yes I do agree the good swords sometimes comes very cheap because people don't know how to treasure it and they see it as rubbish and toss them on the street for sale.. but it's also why we are all having good stuff in our collections too! haha! If things are all "auction" with high price, I bet no kungfu people will get one in their room.. only the rich business man will want to bid and play those auction games to raise the price higher and higher...
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Chi in Nature - My Taoism Temple Website
    Taoist Master BLOG - my blog

My Kungfu Channel on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post

I'm sorry to say that this is not a Qing antique, but rather a common replica sold in flea markets and on E-bay. The insert edge is etched/grounded on. There is no evidence of pattern welding (what people erroneously call Damascus pattern). Not to say that it isn't an attractive sword, but it really isn't a real antique.

In fact, the 3 jian that CYMac posted are also consistent with replicas common in flea markets and E-bay. As there are no photos of the blades I obviously can't say if something like a real blade with modern fittings didn't occur with his collection, but the scabbard and fittings have all the hallmarks of modern replicas.

For the sword above, I do believe it is a ching dynasty one but just that the sword doesn't have a folded steel blade doesn't make it not an antique as well. There are lower quality blades in the ching dynasty. So not all blades are like those damascus blades style.

I do bought some similar ones in the past and yes they are claimed 1800 products as well. It might be not something really fancy, but it is 1800 no doubt though. There are replicas of these indeed. I do see some on e-bay before, but those are way cheaper quality if you see them in person. I can tell by looking at the blade color and the fittings, those are no match.
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Now this is a replica of the ching dynasty swords design. I know this is a common deisgn that you can buy online too but the sword blade is sturdy and not flexible and so it gives the sword more weight and solid feeling too. The sword is very "thin and narrow" styled and also very long as well. This sword is actually quite long! haha! I don't like the way the fittings are made and assembled because they get loosen over use and when you tighten it too much you just damage the fittings by over-tightening and squeezing it together like a playdoo.

To CYMac

There are indeed very late Qing and Republican/WW2 era mono-steel swords. I've owned a few in my time.

However, the pieces that you and Lophuken both posted are very consistent with replicas that are aged artificially and sold on the market as antiques. I wouldn't know how to convince you otherwise as I have no credentials that anyone would care about; but I have been an collector of antique Chinese weaponry for over 7 years. For instance, on Lophuken's sword, the etching of a false central plate is a classic tactic of modern makers to make people think that the piece is of traditional sanmei (trilaminar) construction.

May I suggest that anyone who cares to post these pieces on places like vikingsword.com/vb or swordforum.com or grtc.org and ask around for the opinions of recognized experts in this niche field?

In the mean time, I will try to take a few pictures to try to illustrate the differences between these modern replicas and the real thing.
    Last edited by YMC; 08-26-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: correction of vikingswords.com/vb to vikingsword.com/vb

Quote Originally Posted by YMC View Post
    To CYMac

There are indeed very late Qing and Republican/WW2 era mono-steel swords. I've owned a few in my time.

However, the pieces that you and Lophuken both posted are very consistent with replicas that are aged artificially and sold on the market as antiques. I wouldn't know how to convince you otherwise as I have no credentials that anyone would care about; but I have been an collector of antique Chinese weaponry for over 7 years. For instance, on Lophuken's sword, the etching of a false central plate is a classic tactic of modern makers to make people think that the piece is of traditional sanmei (trilaminar) construction.

May I suggest that anyone who cares to post these pieces on places like vikingsword.com/vb or swordforum.com or grtc.org and ask around for the opinions of recognized experts in this niche field?

In the mean time, I will try to take a few pictures to try to illustrate the differences between these modern replicas and the real thing.
    I wouldn't dare try to convince a person who knows everything of anything
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post
    Now this is a replica of the ching dynasty swords design. I know this is a common deisgn that you can buy online too but the sword blade is sturdy and not flexible and so it gives the sword more weight and solid feeling too. The sword is very "thin and narrow" styled and also very long as well. This sword is actually quite long! haha! I don't like the way the fittings are made and assembled because they get loosen over use and when you tighten it too much you just damage the fittings by over-tightening and squeezing it together like a playdoo.
    This is the only sword you've posted that I like.

I own one
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

you guys only collect the pusy small sword, real men collect huge han dynasty two handed sword

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC