Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What TCMA skills/techniques can we just do away with?

It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

If... she... weighs... the same as a duck,... she's made of wood.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

"The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

That was more of a cart wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That is because you have weak fingers, like woman !!
    You are not real man like Shinjo-sensei !!
    I'm going to agree to the Sanjuro quote.

I've got a few conditioning exercises I use, included one LKFMDC posted a few years ago involving fishing weights.

In the past year, I've been in the position where I had to use a spear hand because, simply put, I do not have the striking power, nor did I then, to put the guy trying to do me harm down.

Was outweighed by ~80 pounds, aggressor was solid muscle, about three or four inches taller than me.

Spear hand let me make distance, change his level, then get the f*ck out of dodge before he got his feet back under him.

Was combination of the conditioning, my aim, and dumb luck that he leaned into it.

Come to think of it, all the self defense situations I've been in have involved open hand stuff - maybe we should drop fists?
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    honestly - Lion Dancing.
    I second that.

EO

Years ago, I did away with the low spinning leg sweep (sao tang tuei) because, although I could do it, I never had the confidence to try it again after I saw a classmate in Taiwan attempt it in sparring, and the other guy jumped up to avoid it and accidentally landed on his extended knee.

Every thing is in context.

1 San shou: you drill a few moves that work for you and drop the rest. Without breaking the rules that is.

2 street: use common sense and weapon. Call 911 and run and cover. No need to duke it out.

3 basic basic and basic. You may not drop that. They are your bread and butter.

4 standing in postures. Do them at your leisure. Drop some time in them is al rite.

What to keep and what to drop?

The basic and as need to use basis.

Haven't gotten rid of anything really. Just don't do some stuff so much any more.
    I can still Lion Dance, but I don't for example, but if someone wanted to know what it was how to do it what it means etc, I still have it.

Out of the martial arts itself. Nothing. I still have pretty much everything I learned although I don't use a lot of it. If I see a need to pull it out for some reason, I always can.

Quite frankly, there just aren't a lot of people who know much traditional kung fu and they get less and less every year.

So, I'm not throwing anything away. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I never did learn anything that was throw away. Nothing that was not absolutely useful. I do Hung Fa Wing Chun and Japanese Jiujitsu, which contains very little stuff that should be dispensed with. Both are systems that can be learned effectively and will remain with you all your life. Most of this other silly stuff will outlast you. In other words, you get old and can't do it any more. Then it is worthless again. Learn something that doesn't take a million forms and half a million years to learn. Something you don't have to torture and cripple your body in order to perform for so short a time.
    When I was a young person, we had a series of posts in the back yard. We had a tire business and ended up with a lot of small tires. We dropped the tires over the posts and on tires that were about chest high we ran round wooden dowels through to give them arms like the Jong. We would use these for footwork training as well as fighting multiple assailants. Slipping about amongst these posts in order to develop the footwork and at the same time we were able to apply a lot of kick and punch techniques.
    There is a great advantage to having to fight several men in a dark alley as they have to be careful who they hit but you don't.
    Jackie Lee

several men in a dark alley you say?

what the heck are you doing in an alley with several men who want to fight?

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    several men in a dark alley you say?

what the heck are you doing in an alley with several men who want to fight?

They weren't fighting!!!

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Do I practice things much less often than others? Yes. Do I emphasize certain things to my students more than others? Yes. Are there even moves I teach my students in forms that I really don't use or like? Yes.

What TCMA skills/techniques am I personally doing away with? None.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

I don't get rid of anything.

Just because I'm not good enough to use a certain technique, doesn't mean that my students won't be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    Great Match!