Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fighting from a Horse stance

Fighting from a Horse stance

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...ad.php?t=61532

I thought this thread was kind of interesting, before the mod got into a PP measuring contest, then locked the thread. Apparently, he's the only one allowed to have a condescending attitude. So, let's continue the discussion.

Personally, I think a lot of martial arts end up being defined more by the clothing than by the actual stylistic elements. The same stances, if done wearing silk pjs and frog buttons, vs. a spandex singlet, become different things.

I've always wanted to see someone actually fight in an MMA ruleset from a traditional low stance--partially because I'm curious as to what effect it would have on a shooting-in, ground game oriented fighter.
    Sith Legal Kung Fu is unstoppable.

Your horse stance is a different thing than the wrestlers stance though. It has different requirements, especially the spine and how the upper body is held, and it is used differently.

Blog Entries
    Without horse stance, many throws won't be possible.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/7103/bowing11.jpg

No matter how long that you have trained your MA, you will still find out that the horse stance is the most stable "defense" stance in wrestling. If your opponent kicks at your groin, you can just grab his leg and move in.

The only problem is before you want to move in, you have to shift your weight on one of your legs. If you want to move in your

- right leg, you need to shift weight to your left leg first.
    - left leg, you need to shift weight to your right leg first.

This will make your "offense" move to be 2 steps instead of just 1 step. Your weight shifting can telegraph your intention and your opponent may take advantage on that.

The best "offense" stance is the stance that you can spring forward (or backward) without any weight shifting (such as jump kick or flying side kick). The "defense" horse stance does not meet the requirement of "1 is better than 1, 2" if "lighting speed" is needed.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-15-2011 at 05:16 PM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Your horse stance is a different thing than the wrestlers stance though. It has different requirements, especially the spine and how the upper body is held, and it is used differently.
    have to agree with this. Wrestling stance is different than traditional CMA IMO. weight is shifted forward more.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Wrestling stance is different than traditional CMA IMO. weight is shifted forward more.
    TCMA has wrestling too.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/175...ewrestling.jpg

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Shuai...w=1344&bih=647
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-15-2011 at 05:23 PM.

have to agree with this. Wrestling stance is different than traditional CMA IMO. weight is shifted forward more.
    thats tiny difference

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Darthlawyer View Post

I thought this thread was kind of interesting, before the mod got into a PP measuring contest, then locked the thread. Apparently, he's the only one allowed to have a condescending attitude. So, let's continue the discussion.
    nice passive aggressive play.
    keep it up!

horse stance isn't fought out of.

it's a training stance mostly and people who take that stance with their duke up are more than likely newbs who don't know much about fighting.

so the guy who fights out of horse stance? Yeah, hit him, he doesn't know what he's doing obviously.

horse stance is almost entirely transitional in application. no one sits in a horse throwing punches.

except newbs and movie shots.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 08-16-2011 at 03:35 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Never stated that it didn't have wrestling. But there are differences between the two. Also there are a lot of similarities. But honesty when people think of Kung fu they think of the striking arts.
    S J seems to take a backseat compared.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Stance training is about transitions and leg strength. A good example is when performing an over the hip throw the first thing is to close the distance, turn into your opponent, drop your weight. Using a variation of a horse stance to drop is the key, because without this you will not be able to uproot your opponent's balance.

As for fighting out of a horse stance (striking), unless your fighting someone who is a complete newb it is a dangerous and pretty stupid thing to do. Good strikers use circling, fight at angles, are are light and comfortable on thier feet, not rooted down and moving at the speed of a pregnant yak.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    As for fighting out of a horse stance (striking), unless your fighting someone who is a complete newb it is a dangerous and pretty stupid thing to do. Good strikers use circling, fight at angles, are are light and comfortable on thier feet, not rooted down and moving at the speed of a pregnant yak.
    Agreed. Equal weighting like in horse is more useful when grappling or linked up, and even then, staying too centered(if not executing SOMETHING) seems like a bad idea. In striking, it's just too slow because of the already mentioned need to shift weight no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    nice passive aggressive play.
    keep it up!

horse stance isn't fought out of.

it's a training stance mostly and people who take that stance with their duke up are more than likely newbs who don't know much about fighting.

so the guy who fights out of horse stance? Yeah, hit him, he doesn't know what he's doing obviously.

horse stance is almost entirely transitional in application. no one sits in a horse throwing punches.

except newbs and movie shots.
    I take people down with mine all the time. In fact, the famous Shaolin 'Hero in Horse Stance' is a take down I drill a lot, be cause it's done exactly like you see it at the end of most Shaolin forms. I do it just to be a **** to people who say you can't use horse stance, or that you have to modify the moves in your forms to make them work.

Just like to add that when talking about the horse stance, it is usually the stance you end up in AFTER the throw, not to be confused with a fighting stance prior to engagment.
    No one fights from a horse stance, please dont confuse horse with 50/50 or double weighted stance..... they are seperate
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Never stated that it didn't have wrestling. But there are differences between the two. Also there are a lot of similarities. But honesty when people think of Kung fu they think of the striking arts.
    That is because most of Kung Fu is some type of Long Fist (it's what they used for TKD, before TKD was invented).

Long Fist, especially the widely popular Moslem stuff is basically just kick boxing, with the addition of some locking, and throwing/takedowns.

This is also why so many 'Kung Fu' people resort to kick boxing when they fight.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    Just like to add that when talking about the horse stance, it is usually the stance you end up in AFTER the throw, not to be confused with a fighting stance prior to engagment.
    No one fights from a horse stance, please dont confuse horse with 50/50 or double weighted stance..... they are seperate
    Or at the same time as the throw, or to facilitate the throw.

on a side note I think this is starting to change, big part due to mma. SJ is a great skillset to take to mma for a CMA guy. Mix with Sanda and then work the ground with some submission grappling. As more SJ guys go mma the over all impression of applicable CMA will lean towards SJ I think. Hopefully this will lead to more available SJ instruction.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.