Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: None kickboxing kung fu sparring

None kickboxing kung fu sparring

None "Glorified Kickboxing" kung fu sparring:

Have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC6NP...eature=related

This looks like kung fu as opposed to pseudo-kung fu!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post

Glorified Kickboxers will understand this pic.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Actually Not a bad clip. Better than most of the crappy u post.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Actually Not a bad clip. Better than most of the crappy u post.
    Which "crappy" videos are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post

Glorified Kickboxers will understand this pic.
    Of course Glorified Kickboxers will understand this pic. After all, the golf ball is a reference to the size of their brains....LOL!

I thought it was pretty good too - just would've liked to see him protect his head a bit more. Could be a sign of extreme confidence or arrogance - either way, it's a good way to eat a punch if you're not careful.

If his sparring partner would have done something than throw half-hearted kicks it might have been more interesting.

I have to say though, I'd be reluctant to punch a Buddhist monk too.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

watched it again - overall it's a pretty good example of kung fu fighting - one thing that gets lost in a lot of traditional schools is how to occupy and dominate your opponent's space. Control the space, control his balance, win the fight. I often say that mantis to be effective, has to fight in a two to three palm length distance (measuring from the base of the palm to the extended finger tips). Any further out and you better be good at kickboxing or TKD - and at that range, you need speed and luck because it's 50/50 and I'm neither lucky or fast... anyway - like I said, I would have liked to see him protect his head a bit more, but that could just be his confidence in dealing with a reporter - but the video is a good example of space/balance domination using traditional techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    If his sparring partner would have done something than throw half-hearted kicks it might have been more interesting.
    Have a look at the fight clips at the end of the video. I don't think that his opponent had any chance to throw anything then....LOL!

I have to say though, I'd be reluctant to punch a Buddhist monk too.
    You are wise, I mean why risk getting yourself hurt unnecessarily?

I would have liked to see him protect his head a bit more, but that could just be his confidence in dealing with a reporter - but the video is a good example of space/balance domination using traditional techniques.
    Agreed. It is very easy to look awesome when there is a massive skill variance between the parties sparring.

That's why I'd have liked to see the wuseng spar somebody with some skill. He does clearly have skill, but featuring this isn't any different than featuring any other expert of any other MA beating up a cable news-provided tomato can.

You are wise, I mean why risk getting yourself hurt unnecessarily?
    You'll note I didn't specify which order of Buddhist monk.

I've got a thing about hitting pacifists, try not to do it regardless of their prowess.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

watched it again - overall it's a pretty good example of kung fu fighting
    You are welcome!

- one thing that gets lost in a lot of traditional schools is how to occupy and dominate your opponent's space.
    Not really. It gets lost in the "Mcdojos" that claim to teach kung fu, not to mention in many of the Kung fu franchises that are basically money making operations.

The genuine Traditional Schools that I know teach the domination of the opponent's space, together with the concept of NOT going back! Which seems to be a little strange to the "functional sparring" masters of today.

Control the space, control his balance, win the fight. I often say that mantis to be effective, has to fight in a two to three palm length distance (measuring from the base of the palm to the extended finger tips). Any further out and you better be good at kickboxing or TKD - and at that range, you need speed and luck because it's 50/50 and I'm neither lucky or fast...
    If Mantis is like any other TCMA, then it will be balanced as well. That means it will have provisions, and be able to fight short, medium and LONG range.

Even Wing Chun, that is regarded as a "short range" style has long range techniques on one hand and even ground techniques on the other, as a part of its traditional curriculum (I am not talking about McWing Chun or franchise Wing Chun either!).

anyway - like I said, I would have liked to see him protect his head a bit more, but that could just be his confidence in dealing with a reporter - but the video is a good example of space/balance domination using traditional techniques.
    See, not a single Glorified Kickboxing technique! So, don't buy the cr@p certain people constantly peddle nowadays to the uninititated.

Agreed. It is very easy to look awesome when there is a massive skill variance between the parties sparring.

That's why I'd have liked to see the wuseng spar somebody with some skill. He does clearly have skill, but featuring this isn't any different than featuring any other expert of any other MA beating up a cable news-provided tomato can.
    Well, perhaps we can send someone from this forum to spar with him? LOL!

You'll note I didn't specify which order of Buddhist monk.

I've got a thing about hitting pacifists, try not to do it regardless of their prowess.
    Again, your instinct to survive and live another day, will overide your other reasons for not wanting to fight Buddhist monks. I am hoping....

Again, your instinct to survive and live another day, will overide your other reasons for not wanting to fight Buddhist monks. I am hoping....
    Actually, having met Shaolin monks, talked with them, and felt their strength when they performed tui na on me (long story) I've got to say two things:

1) I have a great deal of respect for them. I really want to stress this because I'm trying very hard to explain to you the deficiencies in the clip without deriding the people involved, who I expect do have very real skills.

2) I'd probably enjoy crossing hands with one, notwithstanding the pacifism thing.

Regardless of the difference in our skill level, I doubt I would have anything to fear from a Shaolin monk - one thing that I am confident, from personal experience, that they have is masterful self-control. I don't expect a Shaolin monk would deliberately set out to cause me lasting harm in a friendly match.

Considering point 1, if I ever did have the privilege of sparring with a wuseng I can assure you the match would be friendly.
    Simon McNeil

I would say the huge golf ball is a reference to the one guy pretty much just standing there half heartedly in range. I usually use the big, underhanded soft ball analogy myself.

With that said, that monk has skill and knowledge. Great closing technique. Great use of his whole body to control the other.

However, knocking around some guy just standing there is still quite aways from being competent against another skilled, confident player. Which he could be. I would love to see it. Though I understand he's a monk... but that level of sparring (by both people) should take place at the end every single class. Or almost every class.

Not sparring should be the exception not the rule. And it shouldn't take deep archive searches to produce something. Again, every Kung Fu player hear should be able to produce similar footage from their smart phone after tonight's class.

When that happens. Kung Fu will resurrect itself.

You guys know this was for a documentary right?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !