Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: None kickboxing kung fu sparring

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You guys know this was for a documentary right?
    obviously - seems to be a great example of "let the Wookie win"...

frankly, I don't know of any TCMA teacher in my experience that taught u to fight w ur hands down at ur sides and leading w ur face when u enter an opponent's range...

I mean, the guy has some ok skills, and he certainly does demonstrate some "classical" TCMA stuff, but it's against a barely resisting partner, and it's just another example of when u actually do apply a technique correctly, it looks like how someone from another system applies it;

i admire shi dejians and his students dedication and faith in buddhism, at least they semi spar unlike form king shi deyang

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    obviously - seems to be a great example of "let the Wookie win"...

frankly, I don't know of any TCMA teacher in my experience that taught u to fight w ur hands down at ur sides and leading w ur face when u enter an opponent's range...

I mean, the guy has some ok skills, and he certainly does demonstrate some "classical" TCMA stuff, but it's against a barely resisting partner, and it's just another example of when u actually do apply a technique correctly, it looks like how someone from another system applies it;
    20 points for handling the correct correctly.

Nice piece of film, but not sparring so much as app demonstration and yes, there was much that was somewhat questionable, such as leaving the head so exposed and the hands down.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

most shaolin people have that hands down problem. its a shame

actually most kung fu people have that problem

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    most shaolin people have that hands down problem. its a shame

actually most kung fu people have that problem
    Never learned that way.
    Keep ya hands ep!
    Keep ya hands ep!

Always an engarde stance.

I think this is a competitive wushu problem crossover.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

of course its a wushu problem man. if you remember, the only reason shaolin temple got renovated was because of the 1980s jet li movie.

most of these monks were teenagers who saw the movie.

also the reason why a lot of monks left the temple and try to make movies.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    of course its a wushu problem man. if you remember, the only reason shaolin temple got renovated was because of the 1980s jet li movie.

most of these monks were teenagers who saw the movie.
    well, I think it revived the popularity and indeed poured money and people into the temple.

Perhaps that revival wasn't what was desired, but maybe it is desire that causes this problem and degradation?

what a concept? Buddhist Kung Fu suffers because of human desire to fly through the air like an effin monkey.

that is an awesome thought.

hang on while I digest it....

mmmmmmm flying monkey desire of shaolin in turn destroys shaolin...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

this is why i feel deeply sad whenever i see an ex monk on tv with woman hairs and lip gloss.

The actual Beacon of Shaolin shines brightest from the heart and mind of an individual.

the geographical temple isn't actually necessary to the existence of Shaolin philosophy, way or the treasures.

It's nice to have and it is also a bane by it's very existence.

That's duality for ya.

I'd laugh before I cried.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

First time I ever spar I had my hands down. I got KO. Learned my lesson that day. Demo clip for sure. Yes demo of actual application as practiced in and out of form, but still a demo. You can tell because the guy in black had a huge reach advantage and did not throw one head shot. Idk if ur a monk, if you want to spar me, ill punch you in the face, unless you ask me not to, but then its not a true representation of fight skill...people hit you in the face in real life. I'm pretty sure they agree no real head shot. Non of the monks head shots actually connect with force.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    First time I ever spar I had my hands down. I got KO. Learned my lesson that day. Demo clip for sure. Yes demo of actual application as practiced in and out of form, but still a demo. You can tell because the guy in black had a huge reach advantage and did not throw one head shot. Idk if ur a monk, if you want to spar me, ill punch you in the face, unless you ask me not to, but then its not a true representation of fight skill...people hit you in the face in real life. I'm pretty sure they agree no real head shot. Non of the monks head shots actually connect with force.
    When your hands were down, was your head like a golf ball on a tee?

You don't even need to look at the monk,look at the "attacker" and see the tell-tale signs of someone that isn't in it to fight and of experience:
    Lack of commitment
    Hands in an awkward defensive position
    Lack of agression
    Inability to control himself
    Etc, etc
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Dude! If you have to explain it, it's not funny anymore!

Rule #7 of comedy man.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    it was like one of those gag oversized exploding powder golf balls on a tee two times too tall
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Dude! If you have to explain it, it's not funny anymore!

Rule #7 of comedy man.

----------