Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: None kickboxing kung fu sparring

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    The problem still remains that the other guy wasnt putting any pressure on the monk

he was timid and wouldn't engage fully.That's what separates Silva from him.We have Anderson do that and have his opponents pressure him at the same time so its completely different ball park.

Now if that was the case with the monk and he still fought like that then there wouldn't be any dispute
    One question goju. Based on what you saw in the video, would you accept to fight the monk in a no holds barred full contact bare knuckle fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    One question goju. Based on what you saw in the video, would you accept to fight the monk in a no holds barred full contact bare knuckle fight?
    I've been diagnosed with epilepsy for a year now so no Unless the pay day is huge

If i was medically fit to go ,Sure i can always tap out if I'm being pummeled silly.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

bare in mind im not saying the monk cant fight like that im just saying there really nothing much to go on that he can.I would say the same thing about silva and his hands down style if all we had of him was lightly sparring a very timid partner

The sparring partner of the monk should have been going at this level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW9vvRerirI&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrCj6MsI1gc

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    The problem still remains that the other guy wasnt putting any pressure on the monk

he was timid and wouldn't engage fully.That's what separates Silva from him.We have Anderson do that and have his opponents pressure him at the same time so its completely different ball park.

Now if that was the case with the monk and he still fought like that then there wouldn't be any dispute

Yeah, certainly not comparing him to Silva at all. Just saying that guard switching is a legitimate tactic and is successfully employed by certain individuals and that hands can also be dropped as required, despite the risk involved. I would also argue against the need to keep the hands up when clearly outside of striking range (or at least not both - in fact one dropped hand is the default guard for many sanshou fighters). Of course Silva drops them wherever and whenever he wants to though as he's a freak.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I agree, and my main point was to show real kung fu in sparring context. Of course, it was not a serious fight, but I was attempting to show a TCMA-ist sparring in the TCMA way. I still believe that the monk would not have changed his tactic to hopping around, "a la" kickboxing, if the opposition turned out to be more resistant.
    your problem is that wasnt sparring it was demoing and you wont find a single clip of someone moving like that when getting hit hard.....and you know this because you have been looking for years

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Devil's advocate: dropping guard and regularly switching stances as deliberate tactics = Anderson Silva.
    lol silva is probably the best striker in the UFC he can do what he likes...see prince nazeem for what happens when someone trys the above against a better fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    your problem is that wasnt sparring it was demoing and you wont find a single clip of someone moving like that when getting hit hard.....and you know this because you have been looking for years
    Video clip of Bajiquan, but it still looks like kung fu, as opposed to kickboxing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ir0M...eature=related

Wing Chun vs Karate - This is in a ring setting, but you can still see the Wing Chun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ3-Hi-kMNo

The other fact you should keep in mind is that the sparring in my Wing Chun schools uses kung fu techniques. NO hopping around and throwing wild punchs. The roots have to be maintained and central theory has to be followed.

You fight the way you train. If most people turn their pseudo kung fu into kickboxing sparring, then that is their business!

lol silva is probably the best striker in the UFC he can do what he likes...see prince nazeem for what happens when someone trys the above against a better fighter
    Of course. I agree (hence me calling him a freak), but I put it as an example of the other end of the spectrum. Nothing's black and white. Until Machida got 'worked out', he was another example of successful unorthodoxy. As far as Naseem, I must admit in his early days he was one of my favourites. Again, once they worked him out - game over.

Gotta say though, as much I hate to be fuelling the fire - many traditional Chinese styles don't use 'hands up' to protect the head as the default guard. In old times almost none did. The body was the primary target and considered the most deadly to attack. The introduction of the head as a primary target and the subsequent need for a higher guard became more widespread after the influence of western boxing and is only fairly recent (end of Qing, more so early republic).

For the record I also don't regard the original clip as sparring, though the very last section filmed indoors looks a lot closer, regardless of his partner's skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Gotta say though, as much I hate to be fuelling the fire - many traditional Chinese styles don't use 'hands up' to protect the head as the default guard. In old times almost none did. The body was the primary target and considered the most deadly to attack. The introduction of the head as a primary target and the subsequent need for a higher guard became more widespread after the influence of western boxing and is only fairly recent (end of Qing, more so early republic).

For the record I also don't regard the original clip as sparring, though the very last section filmed indoors looks a lot closer, regardless of his partner's skill level.
    It was the same for karate in the old days and even when they did point sparring…and them they allowed full contact to the head in competition in the 60’s and what happened? They found out the hard way head shots were very hard and boxers started cleaning up ad thus a higher guard was adopted

The Baji clip actually is decent. It appears to have been an actual match, as opposed to a demo, however the absence of a guard on the head of both fighters, which was the biggest sticking point with your Shaolin video, is predicated by the obvious fact that head shots were excluded from the competition.

I know you didn't stay at your WC school for very long, and you probably didn't spar much, but have you BEEN hit in the head?

I'll tell you, if you enjoy your brain, you start keeping your hands up after your first solid shot to the head.

Still, some decent throws and sweeps - that's sort of an area of strength for Baji, and one of the reasons I remain interested in learning it.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

apparently he stayed 10 years with his sifu and was also a private student......

so im not going to be impressed by the clips when i get to see them then?
    He has also said recently that he only has 2 years of training.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

As for the WC vs. Karate clip,

It was just SAD. Neither fighter there put on a good show. The WC guy came in slapping. The Karate guy was unprepared for slaps and ran away.

Sad on both sides.

Just sad.
    Simon McNeil

Well to quote his post to me (before it got deleted on his clearing the air thread) he said he trained for 10 years with him, and was a private student as well, which did puzzle we as I remember the whole I trained for 2 years was only an intermediate student and didn’t train the ground work of the system (but know its there) argument he has made over the years

If he has trained for 10 years and is still an intermediate student and hasn’t trained the ground part of his art it does make you wonder about his learning abilities, and if not well…………… lets not go there

Again all these clips he posts of sparring which others find so SAD…does again make one question the length of training he has had

PS thanks for the right up on the clips saves me watching them later on

No problemo.
    Simon McNeil