Thread: Choy Lee Fut Gwan Jong - Staff Dummy

Blog Entries

Choy Lee Fut Gwan Jong - Staff Dummy

Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Yes, that's the nicest one I've ever seen.

I've found that these are usefull for teaching basic skills and combinations but I have one problem with them: they tend to instill a false sense of timing with the strokes. Very good for accuracy and visualization but you have to wait for the plates and rotors to finish their arc for the next strike. This makes me wonder if the intent was only for practicing accuracy when no training partner is available. You can practice quicker reactions against a training partner with a weapon.

I now use only the vertical and horizontal rotors. With the horizontal you can practice cutting strokes such as got. It teaches the correct angle for contact to accelerate through the stroke instead of a percussive impact at the beginning (which tends to make your weapon rebound and be struck by the other end of the rotor). The grazing contact works better for disarms against the lead hand or to create an opening. A sharp percussion is better for attacking the wrist. The horizontal rotors are sometimes attached to the tops of ching johng.

I use vertical rotors for practicing spear which has to be withdrawn more quickly than the gwan. For thrusting accuracy I prefer to use small loops (one at throat level, one at solar plexus level).
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Blog Entries
    yeah i like that dummy. since i don't have one like that, i do use my Ching Jong in a similar fashion during training. if that kid tightened up his movements a bit he'd have a nice rhythm going.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

I am not a big fan of how he holds the staff when doing single head staff techniques. I think he should be holding it more towards the end to maximize the reach/length of the weapon. No problem with holding it the way he does for double head staff though since he is using both ends.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 08-31-2011 at 08:48 PM.

I have a welder and can use my Ching Jong building experience to easily fabricate this for about $500. I think they are asking a bit too much, but I understand they got to make a profit on their research
    Owner/Instructor of Five Animals Kung Fu - Springfield
    http://www.kungfuspringfield.com
    http://www.facebook.com/5AKFS (Like it!)

Are you looking for assistance on building your own Ching Jong? Ask me for help, and check out my public facebook album with pictures and step by step instructions!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=210dec08dd