Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Da Hong Quan

Da Hong Quan

I'm wondering. Does everyone do the more modern Da Hong form? The one you'll always see Shi De Yang performing. There is a more ancient traditional Da Hong that is very similar to the way Xiao Hong is done. Does anyone know this form? I think there is a slideshow of it on russbo.com.

I have trained that form under a couple of different monks. The only difference in the tradional is the stances are higher. I actually prefer the lower stanced wushu type one. I find it to be a much better workout.

Do you mean the Da Hong Quan which is very similar to Xiao Hong Quan? The one Shi De Yang is always doing is a totally different Da Hong Quan.

This ancient one uses a straight arm at the side with crane's beak, while the other palm strikes forward. I wonder if there is more information on this form. Or any videos of people doing it. Who did you learn that from?

there's plenty of video of it. just browse.

I've browsed. If you know where to find them, do you mind sharing?

Which one?

There are three sections to Dahong at Songshan Shaolin. In the Taguo books they divide it into the First Section of Dahong's form, the second section and the third section. I only learned the first section and it was really low - quite a knee buster.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The only place I've actually seen it is on russbo.com in the slideshow library. I know which ones you are talking about. But I am talking about a totally different one I believe. Those forms have little if any resemblance to Xiao Hong Quan. The one I am talking about is very similar. It has lots of spinning crescent kicks and cai jiao in it. And some parts are nearly the same as Xiao Hong Quan. I believe it is the ancient traditional form while the ones you are talking about are more modern forms. Check the slideshow library on russbo.com to see it.

oh, my bust. there aren't any free vids of it.

Shi De Yang has some pretty decent art ...why are you looking for 'older' versions? perhaps you mean a differnt version of the same form name? more like a da hong road #2, or #3 but not the ones broken down into parts such as the Shi De Yang version commonly sold?
    Last edited by YuanZhideDiZhen; 07-21-2005 at 05:44 PM.

I know the ones Shi De Yang does a lot. There's the one that starts with turning to the left doing an overhead block then jumping into pu bu and so on. Well, this isn't the form I'm talking about. I don't think it's just a different version. The Da Hong forms Shi De Yang does are nothing like this one. This one is very similar to Xiao Hong Quan and still called Da Hong Quan.

Again, if you check the slideshow at russbo.com you can see it there. It starts standing up straight after the salute and pushing both palms straight forward. It has lots of fingerstrikes with the palm up like holding a tray. Lots of cai jiao and spinning crescents.

my server won't load it.

upward palms with extended fingers? or is it underside of the arm and palm up like a kind of knife hand strike or willow leaf palm?

perhaps what you're looking for is considered a closed door form. check with the guy above who said he studied it and see about travelling to his sifu.

i think it exists as a different version and you'll have to spend some bucks to see it up close. more specifically, that's rothrock's version. good luck.
    Last edited by YuanZhideDiZhen; 07-22-2005 at 10:32 AM.

It's with the palm facing the sky and striking forward with the fingers. Like in Xiao Hong Quan where you use both hands this way before the inward crescent kick spinning around. I think in Chinese it's refered to as qiang shou, spear hand. But in this Da Hong form the back hand is in a fist at the waist while the forward hand is doing the strike.

I read on russbo.com that it is the ancient traditional form of Da Hong Quan while this other one with three long sections is a more modern creation. This is the reason it has so many similarities to Xiao Hong Quan and this modern one doesn't really at all.

I have personally learned two differnt versions of Da Hong Quan.

Here is a version I have not learned but shares many aspects to the first version I got.

http://homepage.mac.com/stevefarrel...aHongBoxing.mov
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

d@mn

sry bad link. I think i have the vid at home though. I will have to create a link later on.

Sorry again.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by rickyscaggs
    It's with the palm facing the sky and striking forward with the fingers. .
    okay, i have this on disc. it exists on several demo discs available from Plumpub.com. go to the shaolin pages and get the disc title "shaolin demonstation" its a two disc pack. there is a similar move in two forms in the "Shaolin Kanjia Survey" disc. the kanjia disc shows variations of forms as well.