Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Da Hong Quan

Yea, those slideshows arent really meant for learning from, theyre more of a reference tool. thats why Doc dosent let ppl download them. that said, theyre still pretty interesting to look at.

Da hongquan video

This has been floating around for a while but i'm not sure if it got posted up here or not:

http://homepage.mac.com/stevefarrell...HongBoxing.mov

Not your standard contemporary wushu "Shaolin". Enjoy...

I have to say I enjoy the wushu version much better. The only differences I see is that this guy has no power or stances. Cool clip anyway.

That's a beautiful clip

If memory serves, that clip is from a documentary made from one of the first American tours to Shaolin, prior to the release of the movie Shaolin Temple. It's a great old video - some great footage - I think Dennis Brown and Wally Jay were on that tour. Here my memory isn't serving too well. I want to say that the tour was there in the late 70's, but don't qoute me on that at all. I do remember there was a nice Chou Jiao demo on that when the tour was in Beijing. I must have that footage somewhere...

In the background is Abbot Xingzhen, the last official abbot before Yongxin. You can see that it's held in the foundation of one of the temple areas prior to the reconstruction, and in the actual footage, you can see that the temple is in quite a state of disrepair - mostly rubble and overgrown.

The demo is fascinating because it shows an older folk master instead of a younger monk or disciple. All the older masters practice traditional because it's built for longevity. You may enjoy the wushu version now, Mortal1, but mark my words, you'll come around to the traditional versions eventually. We all do if we persist on the Shaolin path.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

In my opinion, that is an excellent demonstration of that set.

The only other video version I've seen is De Yangs version, which is equally as graceful and powerful.

thanks for sharing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Gene

The older I get the more I like internal. Or it might be because my new Sifu is an internal master.

I was kind of joking. I have a strange sense of humour that doesn't always come across well on the forums.

Also I am no longer on the shaolin path. I do know that form though.

I saw that documentary many times. Some funny stuff in it. Like the terrible sparring the americans did. The chinese where trying not to laugh. Also I thought the americans had an arrogance about them. They pretended to be humble but thought they where better then they really were.

i love watching that clip.

knowning the set myself and seeing the differences is a great pleasure.

his sliding drop stance is nice.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

the expression is great.
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

I picked up a Shaolin Contemporary Jian set today and was really disappointed with it. So I went outside, practiced my own stuff (mostly what I was taught by master Chau with a smidgen of western fencing influence) for an hour and then played with the neighbourhood children who get a kick out of the Waiguaren swordman.

That video was nice though.
    Last edited by SimonM; 01-21-2006 at 07:38 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Great Master Shi De Yang - Da Hong Quan

Great Master Shi De Yang - Da Hong Quan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1YO1...&feature=feedu

Seems to be his favorite form hm ?

Kind regards,
    Xian

He expresses it a lot. :-)

Still...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

This is my favourite Da Hong Quan Video;

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU5MjcwMA==.html

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    This is my favourite Da Hong Quan Video;

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU5MjcwMA==.html
    Nice, thanks. Looks like an older video and behind seem to be some old monks. Where was this ?

Kind regards,
    Xian

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    Nice, thanks. Looks like an older video and behind seem to be some old monks. Where was this ?

Kind regards,
    Xian
    In shaolin somewhere, but the point is who it was. I've asked many monks and older teachers and no-one knows. I'll find out one day though, best PuBu ever.