Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taiwan Kung Fu

Hybrid View

Taiwan Kung Fu

This may be a stupid question, but i'm gonna ask it anyway.

Assuming that most styles of kung fu came from mainland China, are there records of any styles that are more "native" to Taiwan? Or village styles, perhaps?

Also, what was the state of kung fu in Taiwan pre-Communist takeover of China?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

I'd have to dig up Smith's books, but he relates which styles were brought over by the KMT crew and which were NATIVE to Taiwan

Taiwan has always had close ties to Fukien, so the "native styles" may be Fukien transplants or influenced
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I'd have to dig up Smith's books, but he relates which styles were brought over by the KMT crew and which were NATIVE to Taiwan

Taiwan has always had close ties to Fukien, so the "native styles" may be Fukien transplants or influenced
    Thanks for the reply Mr. Ross. Who exactly is the author?

I do a lot of reading, and since martial arts is something i'm interested in, i'd like to get some good(credible) books on the history of Chinese martial arts.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Robert Smith is who I am talking about
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

southern shaolin from fu jian shaolin.

all kinds of crane and tiger were popular.

tiger boxing was used to fight the french during sino franco war.

--

Japan occupation period

karate, kendo, aikido, judo etc were popular.

practice of CMA was somewhat underground or not publicly.

--

Still no links to the Taiwan blood bath? Even on a Taiwan Kung Fu thread? I know there's a Chinese version of youtube (isn't it like yukuu.com or something?), but even if I go there I won't know how to type "Taiwan Blood Bath Footage" in Chinese so I can search for the footage. Or even some articles...er, well no since they'd be in Chinese. I am disappointed....
    Last edited by Faruq; 09-01-2011 at 12:39 PM.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but i'm gonna ask it anyway.

Assuming that most styles of kung fu came from mainland China, are there records of any styles that are more "native" to Taiwan? Or village styles, perhaps?

Also, what was the state of kung fu in Taiwan pre-Communist takeover of China?
    Yes there is, search for Five Clow Golden Eagle fist and you will find it. That is a taiwan originated martial art lineage. 五爪金鷹門. The stuff there is purely from taiwan and here is a video of me doing a double dao of the lineage's form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KJ5bNyjYPg
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Chi in Nature - My Taoism Temple Website
    Taoist Master BLOG - my blog

My Kungfu Channel on Youtube

For Chissakes! Is there no one on this God forsaken forum who'll give me the Chinese characters for "Taiwanese Blood Bath" so I can go search for footage on yukoo???
    "The training was designed to 4 of my students to fight in the full contact tournament in Taiwan, which is bare knuckle. The rules in Taiwan were simple, you could use ground work, low kicks, take downs, etc. I had approximately 3 years to produce winners. I taught them a type of iron hand that required boiling in medicine; being able to fight full contact with just a mouth guard and a cup. They were celibate for the period of training, (or supposed to be). They could run 5 miles or more each day and do knuckle push-ups on gravel ヨ anything. I taught them body conditioning so they could take a punch and how to deal with strikes anywhere on their body. The rules used in Taiwan were simple and few at that time. An example of the first time, held two fighters were killed. Some papers in Asia billed it as the Taiwanese blood bath...."

http://www.pakmei.net/articles/article.asp?ID=16
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post
    Yes there is, search for Five Clow Golden Eagle fist and you will find it. That is a taiwan originated martial art lineage. 五爪金鷹門. The stuff there is purely from taiwan and here is a video of me doing a double dao of the lineage's form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KJ5bNyjYPg
    Ah hah! So this is the Southern Eagle Claw Style that no one seems to know anything about. Thanks.

Last edited by Lucas; 09-01-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Taiwan Blood Bath

Try Google translator.

bathe in blood

yu xue 浴血

etc etc.

--

Yeah, the 28 second clip looks more like it than the second clip; but there's only 28 seconds of it. The second clip looks a lot less intense than the first. Thanks Lucas.

Lucas,
    The first clip actually looks like it's from China, not Taiwan. The second clip is from Taiwan.

Although I lived in Taiwan and spoke Mandarin fairly well, I've lost some of it since I left almost 20 years ago. And my reading was once okay but never great and now that's downhill too, so I wouldn't be able to navigate youku(?) or whatever, either. The one I remember clearly as being labeled the "Bloodbath in Taiwan" was the 1986 international kuo shu championship in Taiwan. I was there, and it was brutal, and there has been footage of it on youtube, but I haven't found a lot of it. I doubt you'll find it under "bloodbath in Taiwan."

I haven't seen some of the more so-called "dramatic" fights that I remember seeing in those tournaments on youtube yet. That doesn't mean they aren't on youtube or wherever, somewhere out there.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-02-2011 at 03:23 PM.

What do you suggest we search under?