Thread: Vietnam vet, 61, joins college football team

Vietnam vet, 61, joins college football team

"MONTGOMERY, Ala. – A 61-year-old Vietnam veteran was set to become the oldest player in college football after securing a roster spot at Faulkner University in Alabama, The Birmingham News reported.

Alan Moore was suited up for Wednesday's practice in Montgomery, hoping to earn a starting role as the team's place kicker, alongside teammates young enough to be his grandchildren.

Moore joined the Eagles, who compete in the MidSouth conference, after a year as kicker for Holmes Community College in Mississippi. He decided to return to football after practicing kicking in his daughter's backyard.

Moore had hoped to return to his alma mater -- Jones County Junior College in Ellisville, Miss. -- but was turned away.

He first played as a freshman at Jones County in 1968 before his college career was interrupted by his military service in Vietnam."

Source:
    http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/0...est=latestnews

I love stories like these...football season always gets me nostalgic!
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

steroids a hell of a drug.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Try some Tiger ***** it makes you manly strong, like your mom.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

Yet another indication that age doesn't necessarily bring wisdom.

dudes gonna be sore as sh1t for what's left of his life.

lol @ 61 yr old frosh trying to desperately grasp at youth only to be crushed by huge sop****res.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I think its badass, he's living his dream and I bet he shows them lads what being tough is all about. Bravo.

Another link to this story. It also includes a pic.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n=ncaaf-wp5703

its cool but hes just a kicker....
    Last edited by Lucas; 09-01-2011 at 03:07 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    its cool but hes just a kicker....
    Dude, what other position is a 61-year old man going to play?

waterboy?

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Soft?

There was a mention of what other postition other than kicker for this guy.

I don't know if gridiron is that much harder a sport than rugby but I play every week (I'm 53) and I have been beasted by guys who are still playing up into their 60's. There are different leagues, some guys only play vets and others like myself play against anyone else on the pitch. More than one young buck has wondered what hit him when he's run down my side of the pitch. Age isn't the only consideration. Give the guy in the story his due. I bet he would surprise you.

Rugby - No pads, No helmets, just balls.

R