Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gordon Liu hospitalized

Just another well wish that Gordon makes a recovery from his injuries. He is truly a living legend amongst Kung Fu cinema fans like myself and the rest of us here in this forum -- I can't tell you how many times I watched 36 Chambers and Fist of the White Lotus growing up. Before I got into Bruce Lee, Jackie, and Jet I was a Shaw Brothers fan and he was certainly one of their superstars.

Ok, sorry to be wistful there - just reminiscing a bit about the good 'ol days.

Looks like that tournament was a success - thanks for the pics!
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

It wasn't a tournament

It was a memorial demonstration. And it was quite a success. Glad you enjoyed the photos. Watch for full coverage in our next issue (Jan/Feb 2012, on stands in December).

I haven't heard any updates on Gordon Liu. Anyone?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Update

I hear Gordon Liu is still in the hospital and that all reporters have been barred from covering him. It's been almost a month. That can't be good.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thats terrible. I heard at the LKH memorial that he had 2 operations for a head injury. my sifu tried to see if Phil had heard anything about what happened to him and he said nobody really knows what is going on with him
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

It's kind of a he-said-he-said-she-said kind of thing, but I read on another forum that someone who knows Gordon Liu's daughter and spoke to her says that he's going to be fine. I really do hope so.

latest news

I'm told Gordon Liu is home and resting now. He is still not seeing any reporters.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

a stroke

Gordon Liu Suffers Stroke and Becomes Disabled
    By Jayne on October 26, 2011

Renown martial arts actor, 56-year-old Gordon Liu (劉家輝), suffered a stroke earlier, leading to the Kill Bill star becoming significantly disabled and dependent upon a wheelchair. Due to the incident, Gordon became severely depressed. Recently, his morale increased due to encouragement from loved ones.

In earlier news, it was reported that while participating in a band practice in To Kwa Wan in early August, Gordon fell and hit his head. Since the incident, Gordon halted all his work. In the latest issue of Next Magazine, it was clarified that on that fateful day, Gordon had in fact suffered a stroke, causing him to fall down. His head crashed into a nearby stairway, resulting in a 5-inch wound on the left side of his head. He was sent immediately to the hospital for treatment.

After his stroke, Gordon’s right hand and leg suffered immobility. He also experienced speech impairment. Gordon will require long-term physical therapy and rehabilitation treatment.
    How tragic.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

he needs stem cells...

This makes me sad. I hope there's a chance for him to rehab back to as normal as possible.

It is possible to come back fully albeit rare. Alot depends upon the amount of damage and the strength of will of the individual. The brain can compensate for injury by retraining other parts to do similar tasks, however, it is like being a child again and most people can't get past their sadness and feelings of hopelessness that are also a consequence such a traumatic loss of independence and abilities.

Good Luck Gordon!

In Chinese

港媒曝武打明星刘家辉中风半身瘫痪(图)
    http://www.sina.com.cn 2011年10月27日08:20 新浪娱乐微博
    刘家辉坐在轮椅,上周由外佣推着外出晒太阳 刘家辉坐在轮椅,上周由外佣推着外出晒太阳

新浪娱乐讯 香港《壹周刊》曝出56岁的香港武打明星刘家辉,日前脑中风入院,目前右半身不遂,需长期复健,他上周被目 击在医院外晒太阳,坐在轮椅上,双颊消瘦,但努力以左手按摩右脚,希望尽快恢复以往雄风。

打进影坛38年

刘家辉入行38年,凭苦练的功夫底子,早期以《少林三十六房》成为著名打仔,另外他曾在《唐伯虎点秋香 》演夺命书生和周星驰对打。

由于功夫精湛,赴好莱坞拍《追杀比尔》(Kill Bill)饰武术高人白眉,演艺事业更上层楼。未料中风造成他半瘫,他一度意志消沉,后经朋友打气,才转念 积极治疗。

上周六外佣推他坐轮椅外出,整个人瘦了一圈,右边手脚都无法移动,为怕人发现,他戴着口罩,以针织帽遮 住伤疤,记者致电经纪人Eva,对方却称已康复出院,刻意隐瞒病情。

真功夫杀进好莱坞

姓名:刘家辉(本名冼锦熙)

年龄:56岁(1955/08/22)

背景:8岁学习洪拳,1973年拍《杀出重围》入行,1978年凭《少林三十六房》走红,2003年进 军好莱坞演出《追杀比尔》1、2集,堪称事业高峰

电影作品:《少林三十六房》、《黄飞鸿:铁鸡斗蜈蚣》、《唐伯虎点秋香》、《追杀比尔》系 列等

婚姻:和前妻生2女,跟现在妻子育有1子1女
    My father is a stroke victim. My sympathies for Gordon, his family and friends.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Really sad. especially, "Due to the incident, Gordon became severely depressed." I knew it was bad, otherwise we'd have heard more sooner.
    Hope he'll rise to meet this challenge like the hero we know he is. I don't care if he can do kung fu like a pro again, just hope for him to be happy.

More

Here's Gordon Liu's official website.

Kill Bill actor Gordon Liu suffers stroke
    36Share
    The Daily Chilli
    Friday, Oct 28, 2011

Renowned martial arts actor Gordon Liu has suffered a stroke, reported Hong Kong's Next magazine.

The magazine revealed the kung fu star had a stroke during band practice early August, causing him to fall and hit his head on a stairway.

He was sent to the hospital for treatment immediately.

The 56-year-old Kill Bill star was said to be in a severely depressed mood after the stroke, but was recently seen to be more cheerful after receiving encouragement from family and friends.

Gordon's right hand and leg are immobile and he is currently wheelchair-bound. His speech is also impaired.

Gordon started training at Lau Cham's martial arts school of Hung Gar discipline when he was eight.

He entered showbiz in 1973 after participating in a kungfu movie funded by Lau Cham's son - popular action choreographer Lau Kar-leung.

Although he was given the role of Wong Fei Hung in Challenge of the Masters in 1976, Gordon only shot to fame as a Shaolin hero in The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, two years later.

He has participated in nearly 200 films and TV series.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Prayers have been said to Green Tara for help to Gordon and his clan.

Om Tare Tu Tare Ture Sarva Atta Siddhi Siddhi Kure Soha
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.