Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Right Lead

Right Lead

A while ago I criticized what I thought was a problem in TCMA which is the overused right hand and right hand lead. Now, as a fighter who prefers throwing, I see the right hand or south paw stance as beneficial for throwing.

What are you thoughts - which hand do you like to lead with in your fighting stance and why?

I'm a southpaw.

I also have lots of power, not enough speed.

Being aware of this strength and this deficiency, I lead with my left.

My left jab has plenty of stopping power, and if successful can open people up to a follow-up from my right.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

After ages of kung fu, I was a right lead.

Once I started teaching a little over a year ago, I always stressed each person training most in their dominant lead, and took the same lead when working with them. They were all orthodox. Now, I'm weirdly comfortable in different ways in both.

My right hand is a lot faster, so I like a right lead for that, but for some throws, I really like being in left.

Cool thread idea, I hadn't really thought about it much.

When i made the transition to sport stuff, I learned orthodox first - was forced to.
    I had a huge problem throwing crosses off my right foot.
    Right foot is/was club footed, so I can't get much push off of it; it's also the reason I hate running.
    After much internal debate (and a KO loss), I switched to the more natural-feeling southpaw.
    The only time i've thought about switching back is to be able to use my normal gameplan (in reverse) against other southpaws.
    krav maga gym makes us do everything on both sides; so I'm getting a little more comfy in orthodox again.
    Learning orthodox at the beginning helped to understand how southpaw strategy exploits it; so I recommend it for everyone.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I am also a southpaw and prefer the left lead for fighting. However, I try to train each side equally, even learning forms on both sides. And I demand that my students train both sides equally every class.

I have certain combinations that "feel" more natural from one side or the other. So regardless of how I stand, I have combos that feel natural from whatever side is forward.

MightyB,
    I do agree that TCMA can lead to an unbalanced fighting method unless the instructor takes precautions. One of the reasons I always liked Hung Gar and Wing Chun were their emphasis on training both sides of the body in their forms.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 09-02-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    which hand do you like to lead with in your fighting stance and why?
    You need to put your stronger side forward. The reason is simple. If your opponent moves toward your side door and use your front arm to jam your back arm, your back hand will become useless at that moment. if you put your strong side back, you will be in big trouble. You will have more chance to use your front hand than your back hand. The reasonis also simple. Your front hand is closer to your opponent.

If you are a grappler, you have to put your strong side forward just because your leading leg will have to do most of the work.

To train both sides equal is good in "theory" but not in "reality". If you have 80% confidence on your strong side and only 70% confidence on your weak side, why do you want to risk your life for that 10% in any life and death situation.

If you train different skills on different sides. you will be able to develop twice as many skills.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-02-2011 at 07:08 PM.

I've posted a few times on this before, but people don't seem to go anywhere with it.

Here's the relevent scientific background on handedness as related to right/left brain differentiation resulting from evolutionary pressures. Darwin doesn't lie.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...and-left-brain

The super simplified version is that right/dominant lead is better for offense/predator mode. And left lead is better for defense/prey mode.

So depends on if you are in a sporting context, or in a go for broke kill or be killed mode.

Which one do you want to be, the predator or the prey?

I feel comfortable southpaw or orthodox. I'm right-handed, but can function pretty equally using left or right sides. Though I generally start off orthodox then move into right-lead, but am comfortable whichever way. My belief is that if you over-rely on leading with one side, what happens if something happens and you have no choice but to use your 'weak' side? IMO, it's best to work so that you have two strong sides.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    I've posted a few times on this before, but people don't seem to go anywhere with it.

Here's the relevent scientific background on handedness as related to right/left brain differentiation resulting from evolutionary pressures. Darwin doesn't lie.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...and-left-brain

The super simplified version is that right/dominant lead is better for offense/predator mode. And left lead is better for defense/prey mode.

So depends on if you are in a sporting context, or in a go for broke kill or be killed mode.

Which one do you want to be, the predator or the prey?
    Nice. Which is why the defensive guard of some families of Tanglang is dominant side rear and the advancing is dominant forward (unless u stay at range).

As far as your question, a bit of both- like the old saying 'defend like a virgin, attack like a tiger'

(Realistically though, maybe attack like a virgin would be more appropriate)
    Last edited by B.Tunks; 09-02-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Nice. Which is why the defensive guard of some families of Tanglang is dominant side rear and the advancing is dominant forward (unless u stay at range)
    Yep. You have to understand and use whichever strength is appropriate for the situation.

Blog Entries
    Will you hold your dagger in your "strong leading right hand" or your "weak back left hand"? Why will you treat weapon fight different from open hand fight? Is it just power vs. speed trade off?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Will you hold your dagger in your "strong leading right hand" or your "weak back left hand"? Why will you treat weapon fight different from open hand fight? Is it just power vs. speed trade off?
    Is your dagger for offense or defense? Are you acting or reacting? What side do you have in front?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Is your dagger for offense or defense? Are you acting or reacting? What side do you have in front?
    I assume I'm talking about offense here. In TCMA, it's always better to play offense and lose (you will have future) than to play defense and win (you will have no future).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-02-2011 at 08:10 PM.

I'm about equally (un?)comfortable on both sides. Always made it a point to train all my basics (including forms) on both sides. Haven't done this with weapons.

Of course the dagger would be in my strong right hand, but if I had something in my left to block with, or wanted to catch first, then stab, then my left would still lead.

Personally, I like to switch it up. I worry more about my distance/footwork than my hands, whatever foot's in front to put me where I'm trying to be will dictate my hands.

One should never be dependant upon a particular lead side. This is why you should practice everything left and right. To effectively place yourself in a position to avoid the opponents most powerful arm you need to be able to switch without a problem.
    Jackie Lee