Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CLF Peng Zheng-Ting

CLF Peng Zheng-Ting

A nice documentary in three parts in Cantonese made by Guangdong Television on one of my fathers old friends, Peng Zheng-Ting, who studied with Chan Yiu-Chi and Ou Han-Quan and is now the head of the CLF Association in Guangzhou.

In the first part he spoke about the five sounds of CLF and the difference between northern and southern martial arts, the second part about some of the unusual weapons of CLF like the Nine Dragon Trident and the Steel Fan and the third part on lion dance and CLF footwork.

Good to see traditional martial’s arts like CLF is managing to survive and prosper in mainland China through people like him putting in the hard work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjA7L...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFz8y...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BOwW...eature=related

Hi,

In the past as I've lurked around here I happened to noticed that many of the CLF players claimed that C.L.F. wasn't Choy Gar, Lee Gar, and Fat Gar at all. Um, didn't the first part of the clips state that C.L.F. was indeed Choy Gar, Lee Gar, and Fat Gar.

Why is CLF's history so sketchy?

Hi Snipsky,

That is because people in the West don't understand the subtlety of the Chinese language well, Gar in this case simply means coming from a person of the family with the surname Choy or Lee or Shaolin in the case or Fut (there is no Chinese surname of Fut), it does not mean a particular style or a school of martial art. Even within Shaolin there are many styles, it is just a generic name for a person or a place, not referring to any style in particular. So Choy Gar simply referred to Choy Fook, Lee Gar referred to Lee Yau-Shan and Fut Gar to Shaolin.

CLF history is not sketchy, it is one of the few surviving traditional Chinese martial arts still have a direct descendant, that is the first male born, carrying on the family teaching for 5 uninterrupted generations.

But CLF history is controversial, because many branches have established since the Chan Heung founded the system, and some wants to break away from the family shadow and set up their own brand with their own version of history. In a commercially dominated society like ours, it is to be expected.

So are you stating that the documentary is incorrect in their stating that CLF come from Fat Gar? Lee Gar? and Choy Gar? And oh, um, CLF history is very sketchy. yes, Chan Heungs family line may still pass down their material, the history itself is really sketchy I'd have to disagree with you there. sorry. This forum has taught me alot about the history since the arguing has been going on for some time. I'm not gonna pick sides, but will stand on the history being sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    So are you stating that the documentary is incorrect in their stating that CLF come from Fat Gar? Lee Gar? and Choy Gar? And oh, um, CLF history is very sketchy. yes, Chan Heungs family line may still pass down their material, the history itself is really sketchy I'd have to disagree with you there. sorry. This forum has taught me alot about the history since the arguing has been going on for some time. I'm not gonna pick sides, but will stand on the history being sketchy.
    The documentary is correct and if you read Peng Zheng-Ting's book 《广东蔡李佛拳系列丛书》he said the same thing, Lee Gar Kuen refers to Lee Yau Shan and Choy Gar Kuen refers to Choy Fook and Fut Gar Kuen refers to Shaolin Kung Fu.

If you think the CLF history is sketchy, may be it is because you are confused by the different version of history, Frank seems to be very clear about his version of CLF history, so I am sure it is not sketchy to him, nor is it for me and you heard both sides over the years in this forum, so there is no need to go over it again.

Besides this thread is about Peng Zheng-Ting, so lets stick to the topic.

Peng's other CLF teacher Ou Han-Quan studied with Fong Yuk-Shu, Fong with Yuan Hai, Yuan with Loong Gee-Choy and Loong with Chan Heung.

Ou Han-Quan also studied with Chan Yiu-Chi.

Yeah but if you watch him you can see a lot of King Mui CLF but with a little bt of a different flavor. I always find it funny when other sifus question someone's lineage, I mean this isn't Paulie Zink

In the documentary, he does teach in Futsan, may be that is why he remains you of Futsan.

Sure, Futsan founded CLF, and it only has one CLF school.

Do you want me to kiss his a$$ as well? Fat chance!

Wasting my time here, better get up from this desk and do some training, enough for today.

The way that sifu moves reminds me of how our lineage looks different from the Chan Family/King Mui line. We come from the Chan Koon Pak tree as does Peng Sifu but both have different flavor from the source.

I have a feeling there was some change when CLF moved to Guangdong.

XJ:

Out of curiousity what do you focus on in your training these days. I am not sure your age but I was curious your approach to CLF as we age (I know you are not that old but can guess you don't train now the way you did in your 20s or 30s).

Not purposefully stepping on anyone's foots, i can see there are some serious differences based on appearance between the three lineages. good to see. or CLF would really be boring.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    XJ:

Out of curiousity what do you focus on in your training these days. I am not sure your age but I was curious your approach to CLF as we age (I know you are not that old but can guess you don't train now the way you did in your 20s or 30s).
    Hi CLFNole,

I am in my mid-60s now so I don't focus on fighting any more, I train mainly for health, vigor and longevity these days, with my wife being 18 years younger I have to keep it up!

All the external forms can be done in an internal way and all the internal forms can be done in a lian-kung way and not lian-kuen way like when we are young. The focus for me now is on chi-circulation and not chi-utilization - saving my chi instead of spending it like there is no tomorrow.

I also pay more attentions to my diet instead of just exercising thinks it will burn the fat away. I was quite happy the other day when someone I met for the first time thought I was in my early 50s.