Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ying Jow Nim Kiu Kuen

Ying Jow Nim Kiu Kuen

In this "Dragon" form as taught to me in a Bai Mei school there
    is a outward palm with a raised index finger in conjuction
    with a phoenix eye fist thats in a "Tan Sao" syle posture.

What does this mean to you???

Hi Tn

Ying Jau,
    That posture you describe I have heard refered to as "incense stick." A variation of the salute that in essences says I am/we are Number One, without equal, etc.

Don't "know", just heard.

Ying Jow Nim Kiu Kuen

Are asking for the application of the technique or the "esoteric" meaning behind the hand formation itself?
    Dave Stevens

Well, it sounds like what you are describing is a salute that is particular to the school that teaches the form.

Barring that answer, a Kiu sao and a strike together represent a catch, check and strike, where the kiu sao is the catch and check and the phoenix fist is the strike.

Also, I am curoius as to why it is called "dragon" when Ying Jow is Northern Eagle Claw. Also, how did the set come into the style of white eyebrow?

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

"one finger" salute

This salute is advanced form of salute in PM.

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    Well, it sounds like what you are describing is a salute that is particular to the school that teaches the form.

Also, I am curoius as to why it is called "dragon" when Ying Jow is Northern Eagle Claw. Also, how did the set come into the style of white eyebrow?

cheers

Kung Lek,from my understanding Grandmaster Cheung Lai Chen had studied Southern Dragon and took that pattern from that system and added it to the Bai Mai system,also CLC and Grandmaster Lam Yiu Kwai(Southern Dragon) were buddies.

The pattern looks nothing like Northern Eagle Claw.

Yum Cha

"Ying Jau,
    That posture you describe I have heard refered to as "incense stick." A variation of the salute that in essences says I am/we are Number One, without equal, etc."

I have heard the "Number one" in addition to "All together"(gung ho?)

"This salute is advanced form of salute in PM."

Makes sense

I also saw this salute several times in the old movie "Big Trouble In Little China"

I wonder if this salute means the same thing in Southern Dragon,

Meltdawn?????

Also L_ _ _ ,your swallow and spit looked very good last night at the birthday party

Ying Jau

TN,
    I concur with your comments as to how the pattern became part of Pak Mei. I'm told it was an exchange between the two masters, CLC and LYG.

However, unlike some other patterns that were Pak Mei-ized, it maintains more of its Dragon feel. Perhaps because both styles are so closely related.

I've always wondered why it is called Ying Jau myself, considering "Eagle Claw" is the direct translation. But it looks nothing like any northern eagle claw I've ever seen.

We call it "Ying Jau Lin Que" I have heard others call it "Loong Ying Mor Que" as well, but I'm not sure if that is the name of the Dragon style variation, or what.

Hi Yum Cha,

I've always know it as "Dragon" until I saw a clip of the YKM school in San Fran doing this form and asked our friend FT the Chinese name of the set.

I went back to my Sifu and told him of my new found knowledge,he said,"Eagle claw this,eagle claw that,we call it dragon to give credit to the dragon people,but thats the right name too"

I wonder if any southern dragons are lurking around that could tell us about taming the wild eagle

TN,
    LOL, sounds about right to me. cheers

If I may offer....
    Ying Jow Lin Kiu and Lung Ying Mor Kiu are both sets of Lung Ying (Dragon Style). They are different and ought not/should not be confused with each other as each other.
    Ying Jow comes from the seizing hand formed as an eagle's claw, different from the use and formation of the Fu Jow of Pak Mei and has nothing to do with the Northern system, other than being 'kung fu'!
    I have noted some Pak Mei schools having Lung Ying sets within their 'syllabus', usually either of the above, less likely Lung Ying Mor Kiu, as this is from my experience is usually 'closed door' or time served training.

I heard it's based on Lung ying, but called ying tjow nim kiu to hide it's true origins. I like the form because of the chasing footwork what also seems to be the importance of this form in the Pak Mei curriculum.

But since the origin is Lung Ying, than that's probably where the outward palm with a raised index finger comes from

Regards, Lau.

Ying Jow Lin Kiu is the Bak Mei version of Lung Ying Mor Kiu. There is a Lung Ying Ying Jow which is a different form. Lung Ying Ying Jow also has 2 versions - one is done with claws another is done with open palms. The importance really isn't wether it is claw or palm. It is about the footwork and the body method. These stuff appear in other forms such as my favorite Dan Do Putt Ma (single single single mount).

Lung Ying Mor Kiu and subsequantly Ying Jow Lin Kiu are about the chasing steps with boi gim and kow pek, Tyu Mor, Dam Gin, etc... of course all these are done with the mor kiu method which is the essence of the form. Lung Ying Mor Kiu is consider the signature form of the system. It was used to tell who has been accepted as a disciple or not but now this is changing which I believe is a good thing to promote the style.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

"Ying Jow Lin Kiu is the Bak Mei version of Lung Ying Mor Kiu. There is a Lung Ying Ying Jow which is a different form."

With respect, yes and no. Some Dragon Sign (Jing Jung) call their Eagle Claw set - Ying Jow Lin (Nim) Kiu and some Pak Mei does not have a Ying Jow set. :-)

Mantis108, do you have a Chow Fook Sub Baat Mor Kiu?

Lau:
    great to see you posting, thank you. we don't have the pointy finger in our set. don't know what it means for pak mei.

mantis 108:
    teaching mor kiu more should only mean that more students are adept at lok jhong chum jeurng blah blah blah ... etc. and have learned a variety of other forms explaining approaching footwork and bridging theories. i'm not a proponent of 6 week seminars. we have the 2 ying jow.

custom:
    nice comment!
    East River Dragon Style, Lam Family
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅