Thread: 1960s Chinese Wushu Question

1960s Chinese Wushu Question

I stumbled upon these old Chinese Wushu pictures on a Chinese language page - best I can tell it says it comes from the PRC from 1962 but I did not see it mentioned where these were published (book name, magazine, etc?) If anybody has any idea on the original source of these vintage wushu pictures please let me know, thanks!

http://www.jiaxiangwang.com/prc/h-prc-1962-wushu.htm

Name:  prc-1962-wushu001.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  31.3 KB

Name:  prc-1962-wushu002.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  29.9 KB

Greetings TopCrusader,

Are you still on your Bruce Lee Odyssey?

Those photos appear to be those that were taken by the Chinese government during that time that were approved for circulation; therefore, they may have shown up in several sources, Asian and non Asian. I think Black Belt magazine also featured photos like these in one of their early issues.

Edit: I did search the articles of Black Belt Magazine and I did not find photos like those above. I did find an article written in 1968. Even though the author is listed as Anthony DeLeonardis, I think Bruce Lee had a major hand in its creation. Curiously, there is a set of drawings on Wing Chun that appear to be based on the photos of Bruce Lee and Yip Man. I do not think the actual photos were circulated during that time. Additionally, the English transliterations are from someone who speaks Cantonese. Check it out:

https://books.google.com/books?id=aM...0today&f=false

Bruce Lee may have picked up books in San francisco and in Canada. So, they may have come from books that were already in his collection, as with those in the article link.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 09-05-2015 at 04:24 PM.

Hey Mickey, nice to hear from you again.
    Many years ago I got into Chinese Martial Arts because of Bruce Lee. Being a researcher at heart I used his published media as a "launching point" to research various avenues of TCMA. Some of these pics are found in his "Gung Fu Scrapbook". So yes I am always still researching Jun Fan Gung Fu but have branched out to learn about many other martial styles as well.
    I have enjoyed reading about the martial artists from a generation or two ago. History is fascinating stuff.