Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Angry Monkey Whirling Daggers

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In the north part of China, the dagger is hidden in your boots. After you have taken your opponent down, you pull it out of your boots and then stab at your opponent's heart.

Dagger in the ancient time was not used for standup fighting. It was too short compare to spear, staff, knife, and sword. It was mainly used for "ground game". It was integrated perfectly with the Chinese throwing art.
    Yes.... my teacher told me a similar usage. After the spear or sword or staff was dis armed, then the hidden daggers would come out of the boots (or where ever they hid them). Then they would start poking holes in each other while in close quarters.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    ...Did you know that my Monkey teacher (mooyingmantis) forced us to practice with real (sharpened) weapons and we ended up numerous cuts, broken fingers and other weapon injurys?
    ginosifu
    Gino,
    If you keep revealing the brutality of my teaching methods, I am going to lose my reputation as a "forms faerie". LOL!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

In the north part of China, the dagger is hidden in your boots. After you have taken your opponent down, you pull it out of your boots and then stab into your opponent's heart.

Dagger in the ancient time was not used for standup fighting. It was too short compare to spear, staff, knife, and sword. You just don't pull your dagger out when your opponent's spear head is right in front of your chest. Chinese dagger was mainly used for "ground game". It was integrated perfectly with the Chinese throwing art.

The day that people no longer use spear, staff, ... the day that people start to hold dagger like to hold a sword.
    John,
    You are assuming that every fight happens on open terrain where spears and kwando can easily be wielded. Daggers were great weapons for back alleys, open markets and home defense.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

In the north part of China, the dagger is hidden in your boots. After you have taken your opponent down, you pull it out of your boots and then stab into your opponent's heart.

Dagger in the ancient time was not used for standup fighting. It was too short compare to spear, staff, knife, and sword. You just don't pull your dagger out when your opponent's spear head is right in front of your chest. Chinese dagger was mainly used for "ground game". It was integrated perfectly with the Chinese throwing art.

The day that people no longer use spear, staff, ... the day that people start to hold dagger like to hold a sword.
    Nice, makes a lot of sense. Adds an interesting explanation to the development of the Chinese ground game....Ground and Skewer, as opposed to Ground and Pound...

I would also say that worse come to worse, you do pull your dagger against a spear, or an iron bar, or anything....less than 3 m include a gun.... Every little bit helps.

Does learning a form give you some kind of instant ability to use those skills in combat, as per? Naaaaaa.... I think not. Maybe a wee roadmap to start a development of the skills, but nothing but dancing without mindufulness and further study.

Forms are like sperm, billions go out and few fertilise anything. And there's a lot of wanking... But that's down to the individual, not the art, and simple natural selection.

As for the commercial aspect, well, who am I to criticise a bloke for making a living, an honest living.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    I like flowers.
    I teach a Flower Form! You use real flowers freshly picked! Wilted ones won't do because all the Qi has drained out of them and they are not deadly at all!

A local fresh flower supplier is a must if you want to learn this form!