Thread: Wushu Debate Zone

Wushu Debate Zone

Does anyone know what happened to the modern wushu message boards? It used to be the Wushu Debate Zone on Raffi's site, and after that, Jiayou by Brandon Sugiyami...and now?

P.S. I am not asking for anyone's opinion of modern wushu, or heaven forbid it's combative utilization.
    Last edited by kristcaldwell; 09-04-2011 at 10:56 AM.

i think modern wushu pretty cool guy. they betray china and not afraid anything/

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

why is it that the first one to reply to this has to be bawang?...and how is it that i have a man-crush on him?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Bawang is Nathan from Misfits. I'm sure of it.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Does anyone know what happened to the modern wushu message boards?
    I'd like to know that too.

Jiayo remains the one

Coincidentally, we have an article by Brandon Sugiyama and Emilio Alpanseque (Jiayo moderator) in our next issue, which is currently at print.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

thanks gene...and i'm looking forward the article.

It's a good one

Brandon and Emilio take on the controversial subject of nandu taiji. I think you'll find it challenging and substantial, Krist. It'll be on the newsstands in the beginning of Oct 2011. Subscribe now (in print or for tablet).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

oh ye of little faith...

i already have a subscription!

E is a wushu writing machine - and i'm glad to see it. unfortunately, i feel that i may have bitten off more than i could chew when i submitted my idea for an article to the magazine (back to the drawing board).

That was a huge query...

...it's a very difficult topic.

Emilio has an article on traditional Choy Lee Fut in our present issue: Swords, Sabers, Hooks and Daggers-A look into the Bladed Weapons of Choy Lee Fut By Emilio Alpanseque (September/October 2011).

And thanks for subscribing, Krist. You know me. I gotta sling subscriptions constantly, just to earn my bread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jiayou = add oil

I've always translated 加油 as "add gas" but now I'm going to start saying "increase lard".

The Chinglish phrase ‘add oil’ now has an entry in the Oxford English Dictionary
    Add oil, Oxford English Dictionary! Add oil!
    by Alex Linder October 17, 2018 in News

In a major victory for Chinglish speakers everywhere, the phrase “add oil!” has been officially added to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED).

“Add oil” is a direct English translation of the Chinese phrase “jiāyóu” (加油), an exclamation used frequently across China to express encouragement or support for someone else. Despite the phrase being one of the most widely used in the Chinese language, it’s always been difficult to come up with an appropriate way to translate it into English, because of the expression’s versatility, leading some to go with the jokey literal translation.

This happens mostly in Hong Kong. The entry in the online version of the OED says that the phrase originates chiefly from Hong Kong English, giving the definition as “expressing encouragement, incitement, or support: go on! go for it!”

Hong Kong media outlets have widely reported on the phrase’s inclusion in the OED with the city’s net users cheering their contribution to the world’s “most authoritative and comprehensive record of the English language.”

It was Hugo Tseng, an English professor at Taiwan’s Soochow University, who first noticed the entry, penning a gleeful column about his finding in Apple Daily. Tseng said that for more than a decade he had been regularly checking for the phrase following each OED quarterly update, indicating that “add oil!” likely came in the latest batch of new words.

However, the phrase isn’t actually listed in the most recent update of 1,400 new terms, which includes words and phrases like: nothingburger, fam, not in Kansas anymore, eeny-weeny, dunnit, assless, and Pooh-sticks. In a 2016 blog post, OED editors did at least say that they were researching the expression.
    THREADS
    Chinglish
    Wushu Debate Zone
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips