Thread: Dallas area schools

Dallas area schools

Anyone in the Dallas area know a good school they could recommend to me? There is a good Aikido school in Oak Cliff, but they only teach nights. Looking for a school like my old one in Seattle. General all around Kung Fu, or Juijitsu would be preferred. I'd like to focus less on boxing/kicking and more on takedowns, joint manipulations, etc.

i hate to break it to you, but i don't think you'll find what you're looking for. the two big kung-fu schools in dallas are j.k. wong academy and johnny lee's white leopard school.
    i was a student at jimmy wong's school for about 8-9 years. it's a chin wo/jing wu school, and focuses mainly on routines; and looking from their current class schedule, i would say that they're not teaching as often as they used to. despite having a falling out with the powers that be at their school, i will say that you get a solid foundation as far as basics go (stances, flexibility, etc.), but combat (or even forms applications) were rarely taught. i don't know much of johnny lee's school except that they usually made a pretty strong showing at tournaments (again in forms competition)...though i could never get over the fact that they perform routines with foam nunchucks.
    another school would be earl portnoy's "soo hwa" academy. he teaches a lot of kids...and the system really just looks like ed parker kenpo in my opinion, but they seem to stress combat application over forms.

now granted, i moved to austin two years ago, and things are bound to change...i hope this helps.