Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Luk Dim Boon Gwan

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Okay, you could be right. But show me any system that has the same form? You will not find any, because it belongs to Wing Chun Or shall I say the Lee Shing family, to be precise. Inherited through Leung Yee Tai, according to the formal story.
    I'd actually be quite interested to hear how your teaching suggests that the pole form / techniques were devised / introduced, its origins etc. It would also be interesting to hear from others on the subject
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

What is wrong with skill based competitions, rather than fighting? Showing your level of skill in a 'test' of sorts seems to at least be a way for us all to see and share what we do.
    I'm sure Chan Yu Min did more than a few 'tests' to get the title of '7 province King of poles'.

http://www.wingchunpedia.org/pmwiki/...=WCP.ChanYuMin

Said to be most famous for his abilities with the six-and-a-half point pole, Chan Yiu-Min earned the title of Chut Sang Gwun Wong (Qi Sheng Gu Wang, King of the Pole of Seven Provinces) by defeating all challengers in a great tournament. The trophy, an engraved pole as thick as an arm, was said to have been hung above the door of his own school.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    I'm sure Chan Yu Min did more than a few 'tests' to get the title of '7 province King of poles'.
    I'm sure he did, but that's a bit of a miscomparison imho because back then they got onto the leitai in the village square and just fought! NO PADS AND REAL POLES!

And FWIW, My Sigung also had a similar title his students referred to as 'King of Stick' from his unbeatable weaponry fights. But again, nobody would know because nobody has asked or talked about that sort of thing in many years.

And I do not recall any stories of him fighting other Wing Chun people with his stick, it was other systems and stylists!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    I'd actually be quite interested to hear how your teaching suggests that the pole form / techniques were devised / introduced, its origins etc. It would also be interesting to hear from others on the subject
    You have been taught by a good colleague Ian, so I would be happy to share here. If you have further detailed questions then just email me privately.

If you are talking about the straight line methods of WCK - Jeet Sin Kuen, then the poles first point, which most people call biu gwan or cheurng gwan is the origin of such methods. Basically, the pole IS the straight line between you and your opponent, and there are many angles and curvatures of this line to study and practice fme.

This line is also not to be restricted to square facing body methods, as our 1st point teaches the side body method (which still has straight line strategies!) and how to penetrate the centre line defence of most weaponry players.

The 'His-story' of the pole and how we claim it was inherited into our lineage is different than the mainstream, in that it wasn't Leung Yee Tais method. It was his teachers and grandteachers method! And that history is from another style, namely Hung Gar Kuen, so I guess this is why such ideas were hidden.

Well, until Shaolin Weng Chun and HFY arrived...
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 09-22-2011 at 07:03 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

The difference between competition and training/testing. For training you have to pad up.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    The difference between competition and training/testing. For training you have to pad up.
    And competitions??

FME It is very evident upon touching pole to pole who has the upper hand and who is better imho just like it is when we touch hands. So the majority of times I have been in such scenarios the other person just pulls back in acceptance No point in killing eachother!!

But I would love to cross poles with other, more experienced fighters as most opportunities I have had I knew the result before we even touched poles!!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

You have been taught by a good colleague Ian, so I would be happy to share here. If you have further detailed questions then just email me privately.
    Thanks Spencer, really just interested to hear everyone's ideas of where the pole moves came from and when they became part of the Wing Chun system. I find hearing the different takes on the origins and history of the art fascinating and a pleasant distraction from pointless slag fests.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

My Sigung also had a similar title his students referred to as 'King of Stick'
    I have that title too, but for different reasons.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Wink

He said king of not can't stop playing with

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    I find hearing the different takes on the origins and history of the art fascinating and a pleasant distraction from pointless slag fests.
    I know exactly what you mean but also see that I bring a lot of criticism on myself because sometime I do get a bit over animated here!!

But man, the last 2 posts sum up the sort of crass humour you have to put up with on KFO! And sometimes I do think certain things are not just said in light humour either...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

"But man, the last 2 posts sum up the sort of crass humour you have to put up with on KFO!"

I feel like I got slapped by my nan.
    Maybe you dont know many aussies we all like to have a laugh.

I feel like I got slapped by my nan.
    Maybe you dont know many aussies we all like to have a laugh.[/QUOTE]

Hey Benny, i think Spencer does get a bit serious sometimes

ps. Bill still here???????

Lee Shings first Wing Chun Sifu (according to Legend lol!) was Ng Jung Sok, so he was Ip Mans junior brother.
    If you're refering to Ng Jung So, he was Yip Man's SENIOR and the one responsible for teaching Yip Man since Chan Wah Shun was aging. That's common knowledge. Don't believe me. Do some research.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

read this:
    http://www.wingchun.co.nz/tabid/61/Default.aspx
    Research is the key to knowledge. I don't believe anything ANYONE tells me without proof. I've had people tell me all sorts of stories. But without proof, it's just a story. This is fact though.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    If you're refering to Ng Jung So, he was Yip Man's SENIOR and the one responsible for teaching Yip Man since Chan Wah Shun was aging. That's common knowledge. Don't believe me. Do some research.
    Spencer may be saying that Lee Shing is Yip Man's sidai, by virtue of learning under Ng Jung So, after he had taken over for Chan Wah Shun.

Though, I believe that would make Yip Man Lee Shing's sisuk.
    I don't know, I wasn't there.