Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Luk Dim Boon Gwan

Mahogany seems a good heavy wood, I tried one and its a real workout compared to cheaper lighter woods. Wont break !

About the type of wood, it's difficult to find something that is heavy and hard enough, but with just the right amount of flexibility to get "feedback".

For taiji, we use a pole made out of wax wood, but it is much more flexible than the normal wing chun pole. Here's a former student of mine doing some basic exercises with this type of pole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWKxFKZPN9k
    Last edited by Sean66; 09-19-2011 at 04:48 AM.

Did you spar the taichi pole ?

No, at the time my former student had just learned the basics and wasn't really ready for sparing. However, I did spar with the taiji qiang (it's actually a spear without the tip) against one of my wing chun brothers, who was using the wing chun pole.

Due to it's length and flexibility, the taiji qiang is harder to handle....requires a higher degree of body integration to achieve any sort of accuracy and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean66 View Post
    About the type of wood, it's difficult to find something that is heavy and hard enough, but with just the right amount of flexibility to get "feedback".

For taiji, we use a pole made out of wax wood, but it is much more flexible than the normal wing chun pole. Here's a former student of mine doing some basic exercises with this type of pole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWKxFKZPN9k
    Okay, it looks like we're at least talking about what we do ourselves here so let's see...

I use white wax wood sticks, and longer white wax poles but you must be sure to get them large enough at the base imo. The pole your student is using is either too thin or he's bloody Superman! Or probably a mixture of both

A great clip though of one of the major spear techs, which FWIW is featured in the Lee Shing pole too
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

A great clip though of one of the major spear techs, which FWIW is featured in the Lee Shing pole too
    Which technique would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Nice work...whats the pole made of ? Im looking at various woods....
    What do you want to with it? For solo training buy one made from reclaimed qwan dim wood. Almost impossible to break and great feedback. Not cheap but worth the investment. Most of the cheap ones are two pieces joined together but a single piece one will set you back around £100 over here. If you want to play around against other poles, knives and other weapons I'd suggest popping along to the local hardware store and buying a 2.4m length of 35mm pine dowling. Nowhere near right for the form but cheap, circa £15 here, and hence less painful when it gets cut and hacked.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    What do you want to with it? For solo training buy one made from reclaimed qwan dim wood. Almost impossible to break and great feedback. Not cheap but worth the investment. Most of the cheap ones are two pieces joined together but a single piece one will set you back around £100 over here. If you want to play around against other poles, knives and other weapons I'd suggest popping along to the local hardware store and buying a 2.4m length of 35mm pine dowling. Nowhere near right for the form but cheap, circa £15 here, and hence less painful when it gets cut and hacked.
    Thanks, yes the 2 piece laminated are only $40 online + another $ $40 to ship lmao, but they wont stand up to sparring 'n' knives...

Guys, you're not reading between the lines!!

White wax wood is the way to go for weaponry interactive training and 'sparring' and if you have never tried it go out and find a supplier because they're so worth it.

No splinters from all your hacking, no breaks and if you want to rub away all the notches you build up over time just get some sandpaper And the majority are tapered just as the long pole should be imho and so are great for form work too.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Sean66 View Post
    Which technique would that be?
    The Yang Tai Chi spear thrust you posted dude
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    I don't understand your mindset. What do you want to do with it????? We do the same as we do with the hands. We use the form and drills to learn how to use it then we fight. It's simple. If you have a good pole you only need one that will stand up to sparring or whatever. I find the fact that you say "play around against other........" a bit worrying. The long pole is important for conditioning, and reinforcing concepts that apply to fist fighting. It also is a weapon in its own right and although we will never use it for real we must spar aggresively to maintain our skills in all areas.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    The Yang Tai Chi spear thrust you posted dude
    Its about time your pole form reached us via video Spencer then we will know what you mean. Sean put one up. Maybe you will duck and dive some more?

G

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Its about time your pole form reached us via video Spencer then we will know what you mean. Sean put one up. Maybe you will duck and dive some more?
    I've already said that I have footage in HD G, but my PC is just too old to handle it!

I have other, older footage, and my Sifu has plastered some of my stick demos all over Facebook so there's stuff of me out there.

Regards our families 'form' though, I think that will have to be passed through my Sifu as the entire form of Lee Shings has NEVER been put out publically, as he wasn't a public Sifu What you see of my uncles rendition is the closest you may get, and in all honesty that does not do my Sigungs pole plays much justice imho but the basic 'image' is there.

Here are Sifu Austins clips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNU4B4BToIE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExClV...eature=related
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Actually, here's ME doing a 'version' of our form, but this was 10 years ago now!! How I love churning all that flag waving over in my memory!!

Look Dim Boon Gwan Toh Lo - 2min 05sec
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH_5S...el_video_title

FYI Sean66 @ 2min 33sec is our 'shoot'
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 09-20-2011 at 04:08 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Spencer what are you doing in the circle of death at 2:33 ? its not VT pole....its a spear with common spearing techniques...Did you get shown this as VT pole ?
    not having a go, question.