Thread: GSP Trains Gymnastics

GSP Trains Gymnastics

http://sports.yahoo.com/elite-athlet...e?vid=26492558

What do you guys think? Waste of time for the average fighter? Can he do it just because he's already such a good fighter?

Personally, I think increasing athleticism like this(or any other activity that works on all aspects of athleticism).
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

I think a big factor is his talent and ability in terms of spending time on cross training gymnastics. But at the same time a lot of gymnastic conditioning will transfer over for a fighter so its not a total write off. In addition to conditioning your also working on mobility, spring, timing, as well as working with movement through momentum which I think can help anyone. Plus you get to have a reaaaallly good excuse to hang out with female gymnists.

GSP always been on of my favorite fighters, that guy is world class
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

For a world class athlete at the top of his game with no real competition on the horizon its probably a good idea to try something new to alleviate boredom, for an average fighter already having trouble fitting in sports specific training, strength and conditioning work etc, probably not a good idea other than a warm up for grappling (most clubs will do simple movements like cartwheels, hand stands, forward and backward rolls etc

Its not so much will it help a fighter, almost anything can indirectly help a fighter, learning OL lifting can help a fighter, as can power lifting, cross country running and so on, the question should be how much time do you have to put into the training, what are the risks and how long will the skill take to learn before payoff

For example the full OL clean can take months if not years to master, and its probably months before you start moving enough weight to see a goo transfer to your MMA throws, the powerclean takes much less time to master and is probably more sports specific, then again the broad jump is even easier to learn, just as specific to MMA in the motor skills it teaches and takes up much less time in a fighter week and transfer of skill is almost instantaneous

Id imagine to get good at gymnastics would take a lot of dedication and commitment (even simple club gymnasts train everyday from what I have seen), most amateur guys simply don’t have that time to put into something other than their sport, they would do better using heavy lifting to develop strength, explosive lifts or jumps to create explosiveness (as well as they training) and dynamic warm ups and simple rolls to develop kinetic awareness and range of movement

Yeah it takes a lot of dedication to be any good at gymnastics but the general overall power developed will be phenomenal! My daughters were both county gymnasts and it made them capable of being competitive in anything else that they tried.

My youngest trains 6 days a week and she is not considered to be a really serious competitor... some of her competitors train twice daily and the difference from the extra training shows.

Good stuff that GSP is setting himself challenges.. I can see how difficult it might be to find challenges when you are as dominant as he is.

R

Slightly OT

Maybe this needs to be converted to an Acrobatics & Tumbling + Gymnastics thread?

Acrobatics & Tumbling All-American becomes MMA champ
    By Meredith Aldis - January 18, 2018

By Meredith Aldis | Broadcast Reporter

Hailey Cowan, a former Baylor Acrobatics and Tumbling team member and two-time All-American, is now an amateur world champion on a different mat.

“If you knew me in acro, I was very confident and a lot of people thought I was arrogant and a little cocky, but I wasn’t. I was just very confident in what I did,” Cowan said. “I knew that I was very athletic and fast and very strong from all the years of gymnastics and all the years in acro, so I kind of came into MMA with that same mindset.”

When Cowan walked into the mixed martial arts gym, she thought she was going kill everyone based on how they looked. However, after a girl triangle chocked her about seventeen times in five minutes, she learned not judge a book by its cover. She said she was completely humbled after that.

After hard work and training every single day, she is 2-0 as a mixed martial arts fighter.

“[With] gymnastics, I was good at a state level. Acrobatics and tumbling, I was good at a national level. I want to be the best in the entire world,” Cowan said.

Her coach later agreed that he was going to make her a world champion.

And that is exactly what she became. After her fight in November, she became the women’s flyweight champion.

“During the fight you’re calculating everything, you’re zoned in on what she’s doing because you’re having to slip, you’re having to move, you’re having to counter, you’re having to wait for take downs,” Cowan said. “There is so much going on. So no, I didn’t feel invincible. But I did before and I did after because someone’s got to feel that way, so why not me?”

Cowan’s next fight is on Feb. 16 in Dallas.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart