Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Aggressive" Arm Trapping.... or Clinching?

"Aggressive" Arm Trapping.... or Clinching?

Some Kulo methods of controlling.... of course this is not the only way, and that each Wing Chun line has its own effective interpretations. And of course every technique has its counter techniques.

I didn't realize how much it looked like "clinching", until I looked at it myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bavwAileZ8Y

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

We do something completely different so its hard to give any response relative to the clip...

I'm not too advance with my WC but if the oponent gets stiff like that wouldn't that be a good time to lap da or pak da rather than focus on trapping/ clinching so much unless you have your opponent out flanked?

Looked pretty good to me. These techniques are some of my more common. I like to grab and shove an attacker into objects, jerk him back maybe, turn him away so that I am not in his line of fire, maybe kick him behind the knee and slam him backwards into the ground on the back of his head. Once you get him off balance you can keep him there until you drop him to the ground. Fighting is about violence, and the guy with the most of it usually wins the fight.
    Jackie Lee

John, some of your stuff I would call trapping, but some of it I would definitely class as clinching.

Where you have the "cross underhook" with your right hand, I would be looking at grabbing his hair, chin, etc. and pulling his head back, taking him to the ground or onto my knee, opening him up for face, throat or solar plexus shots, etc. A standard tactic of one of my KF instructors, David Crook, only coincidentally to do with the BJJ/wrestling I've done.

OTOH, using a slightly different underhook (under bicep rather than tricep) instead, with a collar grab / osotogari, sets up the classic BJJ forearm choke beautifully.

Great stuff.

BTW, I like the whole "industrial/hippie" look of your training gear and location
    Last edited by anerlich; 09-06-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I'm not too advance with my WC but if the oponent gets stiff like that wouldn't that be a good time to lap da or pak da rather than focus on trapping/ clinching so much unless you have your opponent out flanked?
    If he's a better pugilist but sucks at clinch work compared to you, no.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Some Kulo methods of controlling.... of course this is not the only way, and that each Wing Chun line has its own effective interpretations. And of course every technique has its counter techniques.

I didn't realize how much it looked like "clinching", until I looked at it myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bavwAileZ8Y

Cheers,
    John
    Good stuff John, when are we catching up to have a play around?

Unfortuanetly i dont think i can make Saturday now.

BTW, I like the whole "industrial/hippie" look of your training gear and location

I was thinking more "steam-punk" myself

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    We do something completely different so its hard to give any response relative to the clip...
    Extremely very completely different!!!

GH

couldn't be much more different in appearance from what I was taught. I agree entirely that the opponent trapped in the manner suggested at the start is not going to stand there and will attempt to respond, but the trap (or whatever you choose to call it) is only instantaneous and the completely unobstructed strike delivered simultaneously should give the opponent plenty to think about. The trap is only there to facilitate the strike and is a means to an end, not an end in itself. In my experience, in practice the opponent is very unlikely to politely cross his arms for you in front of his body and such a trap is only normally applied in practice when the arms cross by accident as a result of an over commited strike (like a wild swing), grabbing and punching or slow retraction of a striking arm etc and hence is almost never done from square on.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

..............you can make many things work when two people are co-operating with each other!

GH

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    ..............you can make many things work when two people are co-operating with each other!

GH
    Like PBWSLVT chi-sao clips!!!! BWAHAHAHA!!

Sorry, couldnt help myself

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Like PBWSLVT chi-sao clips!!!! BWAHAHAHA!!

Sorry, couldnt help myself
    I know Glen! They are nowhere near as good as your chi sau clips!

You doughnut!

GH

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    I know Glen! They are nowhere near as good as your chi sau clips!

You doughnut!

GH
    I do love a doughnut

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    I do love a doughnut
    -------------------------------------Either way- donut, doughnut--
    in the US more commonly donut. I have sworn off---and the local Krispy Kreme shut down!

joy