Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forward Thrust Knife VS Hammer Down Knife

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    All these waiter stories......f'ing amateurs.

Not saying that sarcastically either. I was a professional waiter in the past. Not a summer job for pocket change, one of the actual professionals out there.

Different attitude. A pro does not spit in your food because a pro is in control of his station. Your nobodies lacky. You are the host and the customer is the guest. When you have honored guests over to your home, not a restaurant but your actual home, you don't spit in their food when you get insulted. The reason is because you are not as insecure as some poor hack waiter.

Yeah, that happened to me once while I was at the table right next to the dude. My head snapped around so fast I almost got whiplash. Then I spoke to him in the tone of voice of a parent scolding a child and said, "I will be with you as soon as I am finished with these people over here!"

Might have gotten stiffed by the A-hole but he wasn't going to treat me well anyways. The table he interrupted though. . . $$$

Messing with a customers food is just passive aggressive BS that shows your in it for pride. A professional is doing his job for the $$$.

========================
    We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. . .
    Well, I mostly agree with a lot of your post, except for being referred to as a "lacky". What I didn't mention was there were racial undertones to his and his family's attidude. If it was a guest in my house and they acted like that, I'd kick them the hell out of my house. Still probably not an excuse, but didn't I mention I was much younger back then? I doubt that everyone is perfect at age 20. And I wasn't in it to be a career waiter.

The lesson being: Treat others with the respect you want shown to you, and you shouldn't have to worry about it.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-07-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    If it was a guest in my house and they acted like that, I'd kick them the hell out of my house. . .
    On at least one occasion in my career as a waiter, I actually did that. Fortunately, I was at a place where that was possible at the time. I doubled as the day manager and I remember one guy who was such a p***k that I eventually just asked him to leave. You should have seen the confusion and bewilderment as he tried to berate me while I collected his dishes and sent him on his way. That was a special case though...

Main point is something Hardwork actually seems to recognize. A "real" waiter sets the tone from the get-go. The entire dynamic is different.

And uh...something about knives. . .yada yada yada. ..

Ah, yes, knives...

I remember reading an article somewhere a few years back where a man who taught weapon (gun) retention to police officers emphasized using a common lockback folding knife in the ice-pick grip, in the lead hand. He de-emphasized the saber and reverse grips because he felt that, in a worst-case scenario, if the lock failed, the blade at least wouldn't close on your fingers, although your hand could still be cut. Also, he compared the lead-hand ice-pick grip to an animal's fangs or claws, always in the forward position relative to the enemy. The idea wasn't necessarily to kill with the knife, but to keep the perp off long enough for the officer to access his gun.

I don't know the pros or cons of the above method, but thought I'd mention it, anyway.

Check out Guro Maul - he does some great stuff and gets round the globe doing loads of seminars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRBLA2H6ev4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLx0P...eature=related