Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Building strength the TCMA way

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    BINGO!!! This post wins the prize. It's basically my point. I think our "argument" is in definition. When I think of the term "BodyBuilding", or "BodyBuilder" - it's different - it's its own discipline and one, that to me, has very little to do with MA. Weight and Strength Training is something you do for your sport. BodyBuilding is it's own sport.
    people use body building methods without bodybuilding and it is something you should do for your sport from time to time for specific goals, which most coaches recognise

Blog Entries
    At 4.40, you can see another TCMA weight training.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODE5NjYyNjA=.html

I've once read an article on the web on how bodybuilding routines can help you increase the potential gains of more strenght-focused exercises. I don't know how accurate this is tho, as it was based on the author's personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post

I bet bodybuilders are worse at guitar on their first day of lessons than someone who has been plying for 5 years.

I also bet bodybuilders are worse at fixing cars on their first day than people who have been mechanics for 15 years.

Wow, from this we can deduce that bodybuilding makes you bad at playing guitar and fixing cars!

Come on.
    Hahah, thanks, this bit made me laught out loud

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i stopped bench pressing and instead do punching with the cable machine. it really improved my punching.
    you reminded me of a kung fu flick i saw a long time ago...

the hero got severely beaten up by the bad guy and wanted revenge (classic)

some master agrees to teach the hero a style of mantis in order to make him a better fighter. Now, the interesting thing is the mandatory kung fu movie training scenes consisted of two things, mostly:

1) hero doing all sorts of pushups (over a open well, with stones in his back, etc)
    2) punching using a cable machine made of bamboo stringed with rubber

it looked a little more realistic than watching him learn forms and "secret techniques". I wish I could remember the title, it was one of the best kung fu flicks I've seen...

Quote Originally Posted by Sardinkahnikov View Post
    I've once read an article on the web on how bodybuilding routines can help you increase the potential gains of more strenght-focused exercises. I don't know how accurate this is tho, as it was based on the author's personal experience.
    A person can get stronger (meaning the maximal force that a muscle is able to produce) basically in one of two ways:

1) increasing the size of the muscle (giving the muscle more potential, like a bigger engine in a car)

2) improving the efficiency of the central nervous system, which may not always be accompanied by an increase in muscle size (for example, a powerlifter who wishes to stay in the 150 pound weight class but who increases his bench from 280 to 300 while remaining at the same weight; to continue the car analogy, this is like making an engine more efficient without increasing its displacement)

#1 is achieved by training a specific way (bodybuilding style) and eating a specific way (bodybuilding style, again, with a surplus of calories)

#2 is achieved by training in a specific way (heavy weights, low reps, long rest periods, lower volume) and not eating so much as to gain weight.

So to answer your question, how can bodybuilding routines increase the potential gains for strength focused exercises?

By increasing the muscle's size, you give it more potential.

To continue the car analogy again, a turbocharged 2 liter engine may produce as much power as a naturally aspirated 4 liter engine. But what happens when you add a turbocharger to a 4 liter engine?

Think of bodybuilding as increasing your displacement.

Think of strength-based training as turbocharging.

To use a real world example, imagine a naturally skinny ectomorph guy who has been training for a few years but still only weighs 140 pounds, but he can bench press 225 because he's done some powerlifting type training. For a hobbyist weightlifter, 225 is a pretty awesome bench for someone who only weighs 140.

Now imagine a naturally big dude, a mesomorph who weighs 190 but doesn't really train that hard, but he can also bench press 225.

The smaller dude is more "optimized" and highly trained, his CNS is more efficient, yet they are roughly the same strength.

If the bigger guy started training seriously, he has the potential to become much stronger than the already efficient smaller guy.

All else being equal, bigger muscles have more potential. Of course, there are cases of smaller guys being stronger than bigger guys due to training/genetics/etc.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Blog Entries
    You can lift weight to build strong muscle. You can also use your weight in such a way that not only to build strong muscle but also to enhance your TCMA skill. That's the intention of the TCMA ST - to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-11-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You can lift weight to build strong muscle. You can also use your weight in such a way that not only to build strong muscle but also to enhance your TCMA skill. That's the intention of the TCMA ST - to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9QaY...el_video_title

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

General all around strength s something we ALL need, whether to carry the groceries or push a stalled car or get the fridge out of the basement.
    Sport specific training is what SOME need, and WE as MA fall into that some.
    So quite obviously, we need to do BOTH, not either/or.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    General all around strength s something we ALL need, whether to carry the groceries or push a stalled car or get the fridge out of the basement.
    Sport specific training is what SOME need, and WE as MA fall into that some.
    So quite obviously, we need to do BOTH, not either/or.
    Very True... agreed we need general all around strength and then specific strength programs for whatever your goals are!

good post

ginosifu

Blog Entries
    That's the machine I use the most in the gym. I like to pull 50 lb weigh 300 times as my 1st exercise in the gym. If you think about yourself as a "grappler" instead of just a "striker", you can do a lot of throwing drills.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9...ghtpulley4.jpg

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/5...ghtpulley2.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4936/pulley2.jpg

hey man, i really like the first exercise. im going to try it at the gym. do u know any more cool shuai jiao exercises witht eh cabl emachine?

Blog Entries
    You can use your

- arms to pull the weight.
    - body rotation to pull the weight.

It will develop different combat abilities for you.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/5...ghtpulley1.jpg

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/8...ghtpulley3.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-17-2011 at 03:13 PM.

thanks man, i already do a viaration of those. i never saw the first one though, it looks very interesting.