Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Building strength the TCMA way

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    lol @ saying bodybuilding is gay right after saying you gained some muscle.

Sounds like you're 10 pounds gayer than you were when that pic was taken.
    now that's some funny ****!! hahahahha
    It's not what you know, but who's first with the best.

For those of you saying doing bicep curls are useless, strong biceps help very much for pummeling as well as developing good under/over hooks in the clinch. Anything that builds functional strength is going to help you, and most weight lifting and body building does.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    For those of you saying doing bicep curls are useless, strong biceps help very much for pummeling as well as developing good under/over hooks in the clinch. Anything that builds functional strength is going to help you, and most weight lifting and body building does.
    Your correct is both strong, and applied with proper internal/external integration.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Bull go look up joe defranco, he trains pro athletes in all sports including MMA and college wrestling and guess what, 80% of his programme is reps and sets, he does a max effort lift, then high rep stuff just like the old school body builders did
    Fixed it for you. Walk into your local iron works gym. Watch what happens. Body builders do every version of bench possible - incline, decline, standard, inside grip, outside grip, flies - maybe they max weight - but no max rep, no 100% muscle fatigue... half their lifts are wrong - they don't go full range - and usually their spotter does most of the work. They are lifting for the mirror and are trying to impress the other gym muscles. Preacher curls - usually too much weight, too little range... goes on and on. Why? Because they have no reason to be there. No goal.

Weight training - you have a goal. Maybe you go to a smith machine, put 120 or 130 pounds on it, put up the rubber stoppers to keep from killing yourself, lower the weight slowly - literally throw it on the press so that it leaves your hands, catch and slowly lower. Body builders are like "WTF is that?". Sport specific athletes know you're working fast twitch.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Fixed it for you. Walk into your local iron works gym. Watch what happens. Body builders do every version of bench possible - incline, decline, standard, inside grip, outside grip, flies - maybe they max weight - but no max rep, no 100% muscle fatigue... half their lifts are wrong - they don't go full range - and usually their spotter does most of the work. They are lifting for the mirror and are trying to impress the other gym muscles. Preacher curls - usually too much weight, too little range... goes on and on. Why? Because they have no reason to be there. No goal.

Weight training - you have a goal. Maybe you go to a smith machine, put 120 or 130 pounds on it, put up the rubber stoppers to keep from killing yourself, lower the weight slowly - literally throw it on the press so that it leaves your hands, catch and slowly lower. Body builders are like "WTF is that?". Sport specific athletes know you're working fast twitch.
    Doesn’t need fixing and you really should visit a proper gym sometimes and stoop making yourself look such an idiot :
    he does incline, flat bench and dumbbell pressing with palms in and palms out and decline presses, as well as dips, all standard body building stuff

Body builders do max lifts, they go to full exhaustion, they also do max reps as well, they do whatever it takes to build and shock the muscles

You really should stop talking out of your back side about something you don’t know anything about

Sports guys know the smith machine is useless for anything other than being a coat rack…again please stop looking so silly

Ronny coleman deadlifts in the 700-800 pound range before bodybuilding comps, franco Colombo as well as being a champion bodybuilder was also a world class powerlifter andd boxer, (you practise dancing around like a mantis bug and you call these guys public m8asterbators ) )

The strongest guys I know are powerlifters, some of them have also done bodybuilding go figure
    Franco also took a little martial arts. One time when asked about his bodybuilder physique and how it affected his martial arts he said, "If you hit me, I'll still be standing. If I hit you, you will fall down."

Smith Machine Throws

Performance Training

Bodybuilding vs Functional Strength - A body builder's perspective.

DOES BODYBUILDING TRAINING HELP ATHLETES BECOME BETTER
    ATHLETES?

Functional training can definitely help the bodybuilder become a better bodybuilder,
    but is the reverse also true? In some instances yes, bodybuilding training can help
    the athlete. For example, when an athlete needs to add 15-20 pounds of muscle, a
    bodybuilding style program could be incorporated into a carefully periodized schedule
    in order to achieve the hypertrophy desired.

However, functional training has more application to bodybuilders than bodybuilding
    training has to athletes. For example, most bodybuilders train with a controlled
    tempo and more time under tension. Bodybuilders generally perform little or no
    explosive exercise, usually opting instead for slow reps such as a 2-3 second
    concentric and a 3-4 second eccentric. Time under tension is an important
    consideration for the bodybuilders.

If an athlete requiring explosiveness and strength used a traditional bodybuilding
    protocol of 6-8 reps on a slow tempo such as 4031 or 9-12 reps on a 3020 tempo,
    they would not be training the qualities they wanted to improve. As many strength
    coaches are fond of saying, “train slow, get slow.”

Athletes are not primarily interested in cosmetic improvements or pure muscle
    mass– they want functionality! They want strength, power, flexibility, coordination,
    agility, balance and endurance. They want to run faster, jump higher and hit harder.

Athletes need very high levels of neuromuscular integration and recruitment of fast
    twitch muscle fiber. They require activation of postural and stabilizing muscles. If
    the athlete focused on muscular isolation and machine work as many of the
    bodybuilders do, once again, they would not be training with the proper specificity.

The best thing an athlete can do to improve their sports performance is to use free
    weights, explosive movements and functional training modalities that are as specific
    to the requirements of their events as possible. Therefore, it’s only logical to
    conclude that athletes should NOT train like bodybuilders.

You should really read the article.

So much good info like:
    CLARITY OF PURPOSE IS THE ANSWER TO ALL YOUR TRAINING QUESTIONS

Here is the ultimate solution to all the questions and issues that have been brought
    up in this article: GET CLARITY OF PURPOSE! Any confusion you have about the
    multitude of training methods being promoted today will evaporate when you get
    clear about what you want. Why are you in the gym? What, specifically are your
    goals? Only after you have 100% clarity can you intelligently select the exercise
    modalities that will accomplish your objective with maximum efficiency.

The really smart bodybuilder understands how his or her training should differ from
    sports training and the smart athlete know the difference between strength training
    and cosmetic bodybuilding. It really boils down to knowing what you want (clarity),
    then choosing the appropriate tools to help you get there the fastest.
    and...

CONCLUSION

Many bodybuilders have become closed minded to trying new things such as
    functional exercise or working on a ball. As a result, they are finding themselves
    developing imbalances, getting injuries and falling far short of their potential for
    muscle mass. On the other hand, many strength coaches and athletes wrongly
    accuse bodybuilders of faulty training, when the bodybuilders are in fact, doing
    exactly what they are supposed to be doing: Training to look good.
    Bodybuilding is
    NOT the worst thing that ever happened to strength training. Strength athletes, for
    the most part, should simply train like athletes and bodybuilders should train like
    bodybuilders. However, as this “old school” bodybuilder discovered, functional
    training DOES have a place in the bodybuilder’s routine and the bodybuilders could
    certainly stand to learn a thing or two from the athletic community.

My favorite phrase from the article is: "close minded."

From the MA perspective, strength training Should fulfill two purposes, only one of which has been addressed in-depth; that being skill-specific ability.

Non technique training should also help prevent over use injuries, address muscular imbalances which can result from pure technical or "enhanced technical" training, as well as improving the overall functioning of the body, at play and at rest.

It seems prudent to me to do whichever training from whichever source that's going to keep me effective today and 50 years down the road.

Traditional training can assist in this. So can elastic band movements, foam rolling muscles, jow application, single-muscle strength and (in some cases) hypertrophic training, uneven-fill sandbag throws, and reverse grip dumbbell press.

Why limit what options you have to enhance your Kung Fu?
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Sports guys know the smith machine is useless for anything other than being a coat rack…again please stop looking so silly
    Ideally yes, you want to use all free weights that offer the greatest range of motion when you're a performance athlete... but I wouldn't do throws "naked". It's much safer on a Smith.

Anyway - Now you maybe can understand why a performance strength athlete like myself would A) have respect for old school dynamic training methods like YouKnowWho posts, and B) have a disdain for cosmetic body building and see it as a waste of time.

I'll agree I'm close-minded, but no more so than any of you, but I have very legitimate reasons because I'm a martial artist. Every trip to the gym, every work out has to have a purpose other than cosmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Most martial artists would **** themselves if they had to fight a bodybuilder.
    Where do you get this crap from? You are assuming that everyone in afraid of big muscular athletes? How do you know this? Where are you getting your information from?

I am 5' 3" / 155lbs and I have never been afraid of anyone re-guardless of there skill, size, etc. I once fought a guy 6' / 230lbs, I was able to control him and eventually made him tap with a Phoenix Eye (not a strike though) pressure point to the corated artery. Behind the artery itself is a bundle of nerves and the loss of blood to the head combined with the pain caused him to tap relatively quickly. I credit it to having a grip of steel and being able to control him while we were grappling. Tremendous grip strength is what is called "Specific Strength" training.

Lol I tell you what go compete in a non weight class MMA event, or sanda against the bulky big guys and see how you do )

These comments are usually made by guys weight about 140 pounds, the first time an 85kg bodybuilder simply curled his way out of my 93kg arm bar I gained a new respect for bodybuilder, PS this guy put the same dedication and attention to detail in his grappling as he did his bodybuilding and thus cleaned up in every comp he entered
    I dis agree with the generalized view point that getting bigger / stronger is the best way. Bodybuilders, powerlifters and peeps who just lift only to get massive bulk and strength may have the ability to crush a guy with one blow from their big meat hooks.

However, if they can not do the techniques the way I ask them to do, the way I want them to do it, then they are not able to learn my style. Just because you can pound a guy in the octagon does not necessarily mean that are able to utilize the techniques of your given style. Saying that... does mean that the modern day fighters do have any skill, which there are some that do have good fighting skills. I just think that many rely on strength and brutality over skill.

I get the point of getting stronger, but taking time out of skill practice, fighting class, sparring sessions cuz you want to lift that day is unacceptable. Strength specific techniques are usually built into kung fu training.

Bamboo Twisting - for grip strength

Belt Cracking - for grip strength

Jar Catching - learning to capture a limb

These are just a couple off the top of my head. There are many Weighting exercises geared for explosive attacks and other MA related areas. I think for myself and students, the main goal of strength training is more specific techniques which give them more time to do other stuff (Sparring, Shuai Chiao, San Shou etc).

ginosifu

ps: I do not give a Fook Fu about how many great fighters were big and muscular and taught football teams strength management. I fought guys bigger than myself and they were gigantic ox's with big meat hooks... that does mean they could fight well. That also dose not mean they put their strength where it needed to be.

Blog Entries
    Some TCMA strength training is not trying to develop "big muscle" but to develop certain part of body function that we just can't develop through any other exercise.

When you push your opponent's shoulder and "scoop" his foot into your hand, you can obtain your opponent's "single leg" without shooting at his leg. In order to develop such ability, you can

- dig a hole,
    - put a Bowling ball (steel ball in ancient time) in that hole, and
    - use your inner heel to scoop it out of that hole daily.

I go to gym all the time. I still cannot find any modern gym training equipment that can help me to develop that "particular" skill yet.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/3...nglegseize.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-09-2011 at 11:23 AM.

You get it.

BTW - I worked as a furniture mover for about 6 years for United Van Lines. We'd get those body builder pu$$ies that couldn't keep up with 60 year old men.

Uki is a brick mason... betcha he could make beyotches out of the "hardest" of body sculpting body builders.
    Exactly. Size somehow doesn't turn into functional strength for some regimens, it seems like.

You should really read the article.

So much good info like:

and...
    lol if this is where you are getting your education then....good luck

Ideally yes, you want to use all free weights that offer the greatest range of motion when you're a performance athlete... but I wouldn't do throws "naked". It's much safer on a Smith.

Anyway - Now you maybe can understand why a performance strength athlete like myself would A) have respect for old school dynamic training methods like YouKnowWho posts, and B) have a disdain for cosmetic body building and see it as a waste of time.

I'll agree I'm close-minded, but no more so than any of you, but I have very legitimate reasons because I'm a martial artist. Every trip to the gym, every work out has to have a purpose other than cosmetic.
    a sports specific strength athlete would not touch the smith machine, they would use medicine balls, kettlebells, shot puts etc, and there are good reasons for this that anyone with any knowledge would know

lol get of your high horse, you have no idea why good strength coaches put in body building exercises (and even actual body building weeks in their training cycles,) coachs like defranco, Joe Kenn et al all see its value for both recovery from a hard season and also for injury provention, of course they are wrong and you are right i mean so what if they actually train athletes who are paid for their performance, , your not a performance strnegth athlete your a hobby martial arts guy get over yourself