Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee and Southern Mantis

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Bruce Lee and Southern Mantis

I recall an article about Hawkins Cheung and Bruce Lee, where Bruce Lee writes in a letter,"There are people here(in NYC Chinatown) waiting on tables that have greater skill than, dare I say it, Sifu himself!" or, something like that.
    It is well-known that BL did in fact hook up with the SPM folks, and even met Lam Sang, and Gin Foon Mark.

On the other thread, there is a discussion about some pics of BL, one of which was distinctly SPM., and I've seen other poses by him doing SPM as well. I have heard that he was influenced by his experiences with the SPM guys.
    Any info on this?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I don't think he ever took formal lessons but what BL did have that many seem to over look, was this "gift" of being able to pick things up quick and understand how they work.
    Chuck Norris once made a comment that BL had very little kicking skill when they met and that He ( Chuck) as a far better kicker, but the he taught him a few kicks and in no time at all BL has surpassed him in kicking skill.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Here is a video of Bruce doing a lot of trapping and chi sao work in his early years. From what I've been told by others is that you can see a combination of both Wing Chun and SPM.

Some of this has been modified and his still used in JKD trapping.

He trained with Gin Foon Mark Shifu for a short time.

It was documented in Dragon and Tiger by Sid Campbell.

BL trained with Shifu Mark and was impressed with Shifu Mark.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    He trained with Gin Foon Mark Shifu for a short time.

It was documented in Dragon and Tiger by Sid Campbell.

BL trained with Shifu Mark and was impressed with Shifu Mark.
    Ah, see, thanks Dale.
    I didn't know that it was "official".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

There is an entire article about Bruce Lee learning from Gin Foon Mark and the SPM connection in the March 1999 issue of Kung Fu Qigong magazine available here on Gene's website. I read it and it is very informative.

I thought Bruce Lee learned Southern Mantis from Yueng Fook plus some Red Boat Wing Chun back in Seattle back in 1959 when he first came to America he also had a Southern Mantis book that he got from some Vancuver China town bookstore ? I had a DVD of Yueng Fook doing his Southern Mantis and Wing Chun at one time but i gave it to the Ving Tsun Museum Yueng Fook new alot of Kung Fu Systems as he trained in The Red boat Opera his system is still taught by his students in Seattle.

fIREHAWK beat me to the punch,

Bruce learned from a man by the name of Master Fook Yeung for..I believe it was 8 years when he came to Seattle, WA.

Master Yeung did a variant of Red Boat Wing Chun which had some aspects of Southern Praying mantis in it.

In the article I mentioned above, Gin Foon Mark says that Bruce came to him in the late 1950's when bruce was 18 years old. Bruce was out in NY visiting his father who was performing in a chinese theatre. A mutual friend of Bruce's father recommended for Bruce to meet Gin Foon Mark, who showed him the basics of SPM and trained Bruce for about a month before Bruce had to go back to California. The article goes into detail about what was taught and the effect it had on Bruce's outlook on martial arts.

Wow. This is stuff I'd never heard. Bruce studied SPM! And apparently under 2 different teachers. I just saw a Douglas Wong interview done at the school of one of his students in Arizona where he was telling how when he was young you couldn't even learn certain styles unless you were from a certain village, or your family was from a certain village. Bruce must've come from a really important family to get introduced to all these different Si Fu of all these arts and to have actually been taught real stuff by them too! I mean, last I heard Yip Man wouldn't even teach him because Bruce was part German nor would anyone in Yip's school practice with him; so WSL and Willie Cheung had to teach him and practice with him. But here in the U.S. he's learning kung fu from all the top people. And don't people also say that Bruce even put elements of Bak Mei into his Jeet Kune Do? He must've been introduced to a Pak Mei Pai Si Fu here at one point as well.
    Last edited by Faruq; 09-09-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Redaccion de error gramatical
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I don't recall the details, so I was hoping others could shed some light on the subject.
    What I recall is that Bruce sought out Lam Sang, and when they'd met, Lam passed him off to Mark Foon. Not sure if Lam did or did not touch hands first, or if Bruce was too informal to him, or what, but apparently they did meet, and Bruce and Mark Foon did train together on several occasions.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

sounds like bruce lee was a kung fu window shopper. train for one month then leave.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

He learnd what he could-it wasn't that masters wanted to close him down,not at all,he was bitter that no-one wanted to teach him.Its a fact that not even Yip man taught him or finished chum que never mind bui jee.
    That's why jeet kune do was criticised that it wasn't an art and as training methods strung together.

of course he met many sifu's and critised that they were to slow etc etc and thats why we have more and more families go underground and let the styles revert to kick boxing etc etc.

Thanks for reading

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    sounds like bruce lee was a kung fu window shopper. train for one month then leave.
    He flew to NYC in June of 1958 to be with his father while he was performing in the city. He was only in NYC while his father was there so he did what any of us would do and seek out somebody to train with. When his father left NYC, so did Bruce who went back to San Francisco (This was before he moved to Seattle and began training with Fook Yueng)

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I don't think he ever took formal lessons but what BL did have that many seem to over look, was this "gift" of being able to pick things up quick and understand how they work.
    Chuck Norris once made a comment that BL had very little kicking skill when they met and that He ( Chuck) as a far better kicker, but the he taught him a few kicks and in no time at all BL has surpassed him in kicking skill.
    I heard a similar anecdote, I think it was in one of the Bruce Lee Docos. He met a Tai Ji Sifu (Wu I think) who offered to teach him Tai Ji in exchange for Cha Cha lessons. Bruce learned the Tai Ji (form, I presume?) to what the Sifu says was an acceptable level in just a few days, and then Bruce left - the Sifu never got to learn the Cha-Cha.

Just for kicks, here's Hawkins Cheung doing some Tai Ji:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0TEAqj-O20

So the West Coast guys definitely cross-trained.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero