Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: How Does the West Train Internal?

Quote Originally Posted by Salacious Crumb View Post
    Wasn't Ray the guy handing out flyers for his own BJJ seminars after just a few weeks of training at Renzo's?
    Never happened

Not to mention, doesn't he claim to have trained with Chan for 5 to 7 years, but by Chan's own admission he trained there sparingly for about a year, and IIRC he was told to not come back?
    I trained between those number of years and appear with Master Chan in a photo in the book Nei Jia Quan, Internal Martial Arts, Second Edition.

I was not his best student nor his most senior nor longest lasting.

Isn't this the same guy who also challenged Emin Boeztepe to a fight, and when Emin Jedi-mind-tricked him and invited him to just participate in the seminar he was on his way to teach, Ray took that to mean Emin saw Ray as an equal?
    Half right. I did challenge him and he conceded to chi sau. I was impressed with his power and had a nice talk with him. I didn't take the seminar and don't consider him my equal.

And didn't he attended a Matt Hughes book signing, and after sizing Hughes up, was confident "he was just a man" and that he could probably take him?
    Yup. Not the first mistake I've made. Nor probably the last.

And, of course, let's not forget, doesn't he also profess to be a "world class" surfer?
    Live in Puerto Rico. Surf 20 foot+ waves..... I'm not competitive level because of my age and don't do back flips. But I ride waves only a small percentage of surfers would try.

But hey, let's not let that get in the way of all the magazines that should be clamoring to interview an 0-5 fighter who is carrying Chinese Martial Arts on his shoulders...
    San Da record 0-2
    Amateur MMA record in NJ 0-2 (last loss was a decision. You can see in the video it ended with me pinning the other in turtle and pounding his body because head blows, knees illegal. If I had BJJ then, different story. Still should have won the decision based on aggression, control and the other couldn't submit me and had no striking)
    Semi-pro Kick boxing record in Puerto Rico 1-1
    Semi-pro MMA in Puerto Rico 1-2

That alone differentiates me from every other Kung Fu person I have scene featured here.

All of that took place in my late 20s/early 30s. I'm at a different stage in my life now. But as someone who studied karate and martial arts I wanted to step up when I had the opportunity. What I learned, is that a lot goes into competitive fighting. At the time when I started out I had no sparring, no guidance on cardio, diet, game plan, weight control/cutting.... I didn't even have corners for my fights. I borrowed people.

In such a highly competitive environment, to lack one of those, you're out. To show up with no corner or coach says: amateur. You're not bringing fellow competitors, coaches. You're not filling seats.

To think their is not politics involved is naive. For example, for my second fight I weighed in at Ross's hotel suit. And found out his fighters got to weigh in the night before.... that's convenient. The refs also know where their bread is buttered.

I will add this about full contact...

There's something about knowing the exact date and time that you WILL fight that has to be experienced to truly understand. Those who haven't experienced it for themselves will never know what it's like. Win or lose - it will change you in ways that you can't even imagine.

and that's all I'll add to this thread.

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....